Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 09:10 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,896,235 times

Advertisements

Richmond is known in the region as a great place to make a living with good employment prospects. The City is an educational and cultural center and is trying to improve its downtown(which can only improve!). Its location is ideal with easy access to D.C., Va Beach, the mountains, etc. Its an affordable place to relocate to. It has some of the best shopping on the East coast.
It has a lot going for it.
Remember...Richmond has a rich history as the nations' capitol and civil war
capitol. What makes Richmond different? History. The past is everywhere in Richmond. Some people, especially northern transplants don't identify or appreciate this distinction about the place. In a way, one has to be born here to really understand the "real" Richmond. If one wants to move to a southern city that wants to erase its past, move to Charlotte. Every old building there has been demolished for new glass and steel structures. The other southern city that is very similar to Richmond is Charleston SC. They still have debutante balls. One has to approach Richmond slowly and not make
instant judgements about southern vs northern. All southern cities are not the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 09:12 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,803,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Richmond is known in the region as a great place to make a living with good employment prospects. The City is an educational and cultural center and is trying to improve its downtown(which can only improve!). Its location is ideal with easy access to D.C., Va Beach, the mountains, etc. Its an affordable place to relocate to. It has some of the best shopping on the East coast.
It has a lot going for it.
Remember...Richmond has a rich history as the nations' capitol and civil war
capitol. What makes Richmond different? History. The past is everywhere in Richmond. Some people, especially northern transplants don't identify or appreciate this distinction about the place. In a way, one has to be born here to really understand the "real" Richmond. If one wants to move to a southern city that wants to erase its past, move to Charlotte. Every old building there has been demolished for new glass and steel structures. The other southern city that is very similar to Richmond is Charleston SC. They still have debutante balls. One has to approach Richmond slowly and not make
instant judgements about southern vs northern. All southern cities are not the same.
I totally agree about Richmond and Charleston. I have met people from Charleston who say even our accents are similar. Richmond is a lot like Charleston , minus the palm trees.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:21 PM

118 posts, read 624,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momgonenutzinmem View Post
Well Laura2434, I've lived up and down the east coast until the past 4 years....I grew up until JR High age in MD....we considered ourselves Yankees....All of my family is from PA and MI and Canada....so I guess I am kind of a mixed breed....When I moved to NC I got teased a lot because I didn't have a southern accent (still don't) but the friends I made there are still my friends...It was all in good fun....Since your looking at a little bit of larger city that has colleges in the area, I think you'll be fine....One of my daughters had high school (NJ) friends that went to Richmond for college, they loved it...some are staying south.....NY'ers are really nice too; he ones not from the city are gems--great people....the ones from the city--one-on-one can be great and full of fun...However, on a busy work day, they are always in a hurry (everything moves fast there), so they can be pretty brusque...but it's probably bcause of time factor...The youger ones starting out at the investment firms, accounting and advertising firms, for example, can come off arrogant ....they eventually get over it and find that they are working longer, harder hours than they ever thought possible!..The ones that stay arrogant are unfortunately the most successful (not always) but it's the attitude needed to get ahead....and usually they just hang around with people that they think can help them in their careers or on their level...
I've only seen racism really bad in one place, and that it Memphis...it's a different kind of southern city....

If you're a happy and outgoing person, you'll do well no matter where you go....it's actually good to be out of your element when all you are responsible for is yourself! Enjoy wherever you are..you are only young once!

Fabulous post....I totally agree, if you are a happy and outgoing person there shouldn't be a problem anywhere. I have visited all over the US and matter of fact never had many, if any enemies in my life. It's all a matter of attitude. Some people are rotten and miserable and look for trouble. Just don't tell anyone where your from when you move and see how they treat you

Old 10-20-2007, 06:57 PM

251 posts, read 1,128,956 times
Having grown up in Richmond and lived most of my adult life in the real south, I have gotten a chuckle from this thread. Richmonders may be unwelcoming to people from the north, but they are also unwelcoming to people from the south. True, native Richmonders consider themselves to be southern, but they generally have a condesending attitude toward people from "down south," meaning anyone from south of Petersburg. I'd say they have an attitude problem with anyone from anywhere that is not Richmond. Having said that, I will add that Richmond is a nice place with lots going for it.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:54 PM

13 posts, read 51,939 times
This thread is very informative for me, although you ahve to take some posts with a grain of salt. I live in Arizona with my husband and we are going to be relocating to the Richmond area in 9 months. My in laws are from NY. For some reason, I cannot connect with them and the people of the NY area. The culture is different then the way I was raised and my husband has to remind me that our life style is different. While discussing with my husband about Virginia I was really nervouse to consider the move, because I first lumped all of the east coast into the personality of his inlaws and their city. Now that I have been researching and reading posts of natives from Virginia I think I am going to get along just fine.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog View Post
Having grown up in Richmond and lived most of my adult life in the real south, I have gotten a chuckle from this thread. Richmonders may be unwelcoming to people from the north, but they are also unwelcoming to people from the south. True, native Richmonders consider themselves to be southern, but they generally have a condesending attitude toward people from "down south," meaning anyone from south of Petersburg. I'd say they have an attitude problem with anyone from anywhere that is not Richmond. Having said that, I will add that Richmond is a nice place with lots going for it.
I think your right, sounds like Richmond just likes Richmond..Do they think they are better than everyone in general. What makes them think that if that's the case?

Old 11-04-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
These days you will be hard pressed to find a southern accent anywhere.

But.. Talk to old Richmonders- or go to places like Powhatan County or Goochland or Farmville and Virginia accents abound !

That's good to know I don't have to hear "Y'all" constantly..I doubt if I will develop a Southern accent when we move even if I was in the deep South. I am told people talk that way after a while. I like the way I speak now just fine. I'm from NJ and people think I'm a New Yorker because I talk fast. More stereotyping. I have a cousin that moved from NJ to TN and she went out of her way to develop a Southern accent. I quess she wanted to fit in. Take me as I am. The US is very territorial isn't it? I would trade living in the USA for anywhere in the world. There are alot of old timers everywhere stubborn in their old ways, young ones too.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:23 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,323,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaroo View Post
I think your right, sounds like Richmond just likes Richmond..Do they think they are better than everyone in general. What makes them think that if that's the case?
It's not the case.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:15 PM

21 posts, read 87,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica1995 View Post
Do not move here. I am from New York and I am having a very hard time here. I moved here two years ago and they hate New Yorkers. They are back stabbers and they are very jealous of New Yorkers. My sister moved here also and she has had the same experience. Stay in New York if you want to be in the real world and have a life. The people here are very mean. They act nice and lie to your face and then they stab you in the back. My family is trying to do everything we can to get out of here. No diversity and very prejudice. They think we are stupid. What a Joke! Northerns have far more class, education, compassion, hospitality and money!
If you move here (or anywhere) with this kind of attitude, you will have the perception that the locals are unfriendly. I especially like the last sentence: "Northerns have far more class, education, compassion, hospitality and money!" Woo hoo! Yee ha. Very telling statement and pretty darn funny in the context. Being a Northern NJ native who lived there for 35 years before transplanting to Richmond, I feel qualified to call this pure horse hockey. Are there rude individuals in Richmond? Duh. Of course. The most rude people I ever encountered were in the Northeast, however. And I have traveled extensively in very nearly every state in the U.S.

If you're a New Yorker who thinks that NYC is the center of the universe and that only in-bred, buck-toothed, ignorant, red-necked, yokel hicks live anywhere south of Philadelphia, Richmond is most definitely not for you.

If you have some strange problem with people who say "you all" or "y'all", then carefully consider the move. For myself, I was always bugged by the people who say "youse" or refer to a group as "you guys" when the group includes females. "You guys" to my ear is more grating than "you all" - and less grammatically correct.

As far as diversity, the neighborhood I moved out of in Northern NJ was entirely white Anglo-Saxon Protestant, Catholic and Jewish. The first neighborhood we lived in upon moving to Richmond - just on our cul-de-sac alone - had a gay couple right next door, a Mormon family, a Southern Baptist family, a couple straight from the Ukraine with two little babies; a Vietnamese family, two interracial (black and white) couples, and many black families. Everyone always joked that our street was the "mini United Nations".

It is, as so many things in life are, what you make of it. It might also depend upon where you move to. But if you come down here with a very strong, agressive New York City/northeast-centered view, yes, you will not ingratiate yourself among the locals. Richmond and the greater Richmond area have a heck of a lot going for them. I left Northern NJ after being born and raised there and living there for 35 years and have no intention of ever moving back.

Jessica - feel free to go back to NY. I'm sure many Richmonders will be hospitable enough to hold the door for you.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond Commuter View Post
If you move here (or anywhere) with this kind of attitude, you will have the perception that the locals are unfriendly. I especially like the last sentence: "Northerns have far more class, education, compassion, hospitality and money!" Woo hoo! Yee ha. Very telling statement and pretty darn funny in the context. Being a Northern NJ native who lived there for 35 years before transplanting to Richmond, I feel qualified to call this pure horse hockey. Are there rude individuals in Richmond? Duh. Of course. The most rude people I ever encountered were in the Northeast, however. And I have traveled extensively in very nearly every state in the U.S.

If you're a New Yorker who thinks that NYC is the center of the universe and that only in-bred, buck-toothed, ignorant, red-necked, yokel hicks live anywhere south of Philadelphia, Richmond is most definitely not for you.

If you have some strange problem with people who say "you all" or "y'all", then carefully consider the move. For myself, I was always bugged by the people who say "youse" or refer to a group as "you guys" when the group includes females. "You guys" to my ear is more grating than "you all" - and less grammatically correct.

As far as diversity, the neighborhood I moved out of in Northern NJ was entirely white Anglo-Saxon Protestant, Catholic and Jewish. The first neighborhood we lived in upon moving to Richmond - just on our cul-de-sac alone - had a gay couple right next door, a Mormon family, a Southern Baptist family, a couple straight from the Ukraine with two little babies; a Vietnamese family, two interracial (black and white) couples, and many black families. Everyone always joked that our street was the "mini United Nations".

It is, as so many things in life are, what you make of it. It might also depend upon where you move to. But if you come down here with a very strong, agressive New York City/northeast-centered view, yes, you will not ingratiate yourself among the locals. Richmond and the greater Richmond area have a heck of a lot going for them. I left Northern NJ after being born and raised there and living there for 35 years and have no intention of ever moving back.

Jessica - feel free to go back to NY. I'm sure many Richmonders will be hospitable enough to hold the door for you.
Your neighborhood Richmond sounds like most parts of NJ!!!! Moral to this story is..there are good and bad in every race, religion..There is white trash here in NJ and also in Richmond. There are snobs all over, nice people all over, people are very territorial aren't they? If your nice you'll get along anywhere. I love NJ but not the way it is now. I don't plan on coming to VA and acting any different than I am here. I won't have a accent and say y'all and I don't say YOUSE..Some people change to adapt to the city. Take me as I am..A proud Anglo Saxon German/Irish/Italian/woman..Why did I need to say that? I AM A AMERICAN plain and simple. I bet any amount of money that if we met the people in person that gripe on here they wouldn't say half the things they do to our face like they do on here. PEACE!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond