Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 04:11 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,520 times

Advertisements

First, thank you all so much. I appreciate this forum so much.

It looks like my husband would be working in Glen Allen. Which safe, friendly, family-oriented etc. etc. suburb would you recommend for a relatively short commute to Glen Allen?

He commutes by train now and it takes him an hour door to door. But that's on the train. By car he can be home in 20 mins. depending on traffic and he's fine w/ these commutes.

One more question: a friend who whose husband worked at Ft. Lee and is now here in CA claims that the libraries in the Richmond area are really bad w/ few childrens' areas. Could this be true? I'm finding it hard to believe.

Thank you!

Alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 04:27 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,318,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
First, thank you all so much. I appreciate this forum so much.

It looks like my husband would be working in Glen Allen. Which safe, friendly, family-oriented etc. etc. suburb would you recommend for a relatively short commute to Glen Allen?

He commutes by train now and it takes him an hour door to door. But that's on the train. By car he can be home in 20 mins. depending on traffic and he's fine w/ these commutes.

One more question: a friend who whose husband worked at Ft. Lee and is now here in CA claims that the libraries in the Richmond area are really bad w/ few childrens' areas. Could this be true? I'm finding it hard to believe.

Thank you!

Alley
I lived in Glen Allen for almost 4 1/2 years until our last relocation the past Oct. We lived in Wyndham and loved it! Check out zip code 23059- Wyndham, Twin Hickory and the surrounding areas.
My husband worked in Innsbrook and his commute was 10 minutes! Big change for him-while living in NY it was 2 1/2 hours 1 way.

There is a new library next to Deep Run High School which I believe is suppose to be very good. I'm not really sure as I never had a chance to use it-Hopefully someone else can clue you in.

Best of luck-We really miss the area!

Old 08-10-2009, 04:32 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,694,440 times
I live in Glen Allen and we have a brand new library that is amazing--it's by far the nicest public library I've ever been to. It has a wonderful children's section with lots of story hours and craft times for children. It also has a nice selection of DVDs (including Blu Ray) and CDs for loan.

HCPL-Twin Hickory Area

As far as where to live, I'd recommend Western Henrico. You might find something in zip code 23233 in your price range. 23059 is great, but I don't think you'd find single family homes under $250k. Schools are excellent in Western Henrico, your husband's commute would be very easy and shopping is very convenient.

ETA: DKVA we must have been posting at the same time!

Old 08-10-2009, 06:03 PM

383 posts, read 1,016,458 times
Definitely live in Glen Allen - No need to look much further!!!

Old 08-11-2009, 12:57 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,476 times
Cool Towns to consider Ashland VA as well

You might consider

Ashland:
Ashland, Virginia -- Welcome to the Town of Ashland

Old 08-11-2009, 05:41 AM

2,480 posts, read 5,318,662 times
ETA: DKVA we must have been posting at the same time![/quote]

That's funny-I forgot to add in my post that hopefully sls76 will add needed info.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:11 PM

283 posts, read 652,597 times
I lived in Glen Allen for many years and there is much to recommend about it. The libraries are top notch and have an excellent selection of books and videos for children of all ages. I suggest that you visit their library website for additional information. I eventually decided to leave the area because of the heavy traffic congestion. Glen Allen has been booming for years and the infrastructure has not kept pace with the number of people who have moved into this part of Henrico County. Lots of people have moved to Goochland County which is next to Henrico and it is not nearly as congested. There are numerous places within a half hour drive of Glen Allen and the best way for you to find out about the area is to spend some time here. Chesterfield, Hanover, and Richmond City all have many nice places to live in. Schools may be an issue and you may want to look into the schools in the various counties before making a decision. One person's paradise may be a hell for someone else. What seems crowded to me may be just perfect for someone else. Good luck in your search and welcome to the Richmond area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond