Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,286 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I'm a 23 year old graphic designer/photographer/artist from Southern California and I'm thinking about relocating to Richmond in the upcoming years to get my MFA in Graphic Design at VCU. I was wondering if the art scene (and I hate to say it, Hipster scene) is prevalent? How would it compare to that of say, San Francisco, Seattle, and Portland?

I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for three years, and in Southern California for most of my life, so I am used to what big cities like LA and San Francisco offer in terms of music, art and culture.

I've done some research and am aware of Gallery5 and RVA magazine which are right up my alley, but my search stops there. So when I say art, I don't mean tourist art, or paintings of sunsets or bowls of fruit or landscapes or anything you would find in Laguna Beach, Santa Fe or your Grandmother's house.

These threads are seriously valuable and I greatly appreciate any response. By the way, I have nothing against grandmothers.
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 07:32 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,705,441 times
Well the Richmond art scene is still up and coming. There is a Facebook group here is the link:

SAVE RICHMOND ARTS AND MUSIC | Facebook

This is NO Seattle, however there are projects like the Richmond Center Stage that might bring some diversity/art here. You are into VCU so you should find some other people with your interests there. I like RVA magazine and its more proof things might be starting to get better. As long as you stay around Carytown you should be fine. hope this helps.

Richmond CenterStage - Performing Arts Center
http://www.venturerichmond.com/
http://www.vmfa.state.va.us/
http://www.carytown.org/

Last edited by Anders15; 08-03-2009 at 07:58 PM..

Old 08-03-2009, 09:03 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,317,535 times
Look up things like Plant Zero Art Works and Richmond's First Friday's Artwalk. There's definitely a hipster scene in Richmond. I had some friends come down to visit from DC a few weeks ago and they couldn't believe how many they saw (areas like Carytown, The Fan, Downtown, etc). I'm sure it isn't like Portland or Seattle though.

After a wedding party this past Friday night, a group of us ended up at The Camel and saw a great local band called the Oregon Hill Funk Allstars. It was my first time there but it seemed pretty neat.
Quote:
The Camel opens Daily at 5pm and is a space for music, art, poetry, video, political forums, and conversation-anything that brings people together in the spirit of a free flow of ideas.
IMO, Richmond has a strong arts scene, but it isn't really front page. If you dig deeper, you'll definitely find it. As a side rant... I think Richmond should think about shifting its tourism emphasis from history to the arts.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:37 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,786,032 times
Anders15 and richmondpics both made good points/posts.

Additionally, since you will be at VCU you will definitely be exposed to all of the arts in Richmond, especially given your area of study. I go to VCU with a non-arts major and even I can't help being thrust into the art scene.

I would be comfortable saying Richmond has one of the more active (and more interesting) arts scenes in Virginia, but that may not be saying much.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:14 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Look up things like Plant Zero Art Works and Richmond's First Friday's Artwalk. There's definitely a hipster scene in Richmond. I had some friends come down to visit from DC a few weeks ago and they couldn't believe how many they saw (areas like Carytown, The Fan, Downtown, etc). I'm sure it isn't like Portland or Seattle though.

After a wedding party this past Friday night, a group of us ended up at The Camel and saw a great local band called the Oregon Hill Funk Allstars. It was my first time there but it seemed pretty neat.

IMO, Richmond has a strong arts scene, but it isn't really front page. If you dig deeper, you'll definitely find it. As a side rant... I think Richmond should think about shifting its tourism emphasis from history to the arts.
Or to history and the arts. The two would seem to go hand in hand. It's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond