Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 05:33 PM

157 posts, read 569,366 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me anything CONSTRUCTIVE (RonMaverick804) about Magnolia Ridge subdivision in Glen Allen? The schools are Greenwood Elementary / Brookland Middle / Hermitage High . Anything interesting about any of those schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 05:38 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
These are more socio-economically and racially diverse schools than the schools in the Three Chopt district (the Three Chopt and Tuckahoe districts' schools have higher test scores generally).

https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/reportcard/

Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Old 03-03-2009, 06:58 AM

157 posts, read 569,366 times
Thank you!

Old 03-13-2009, 01:36 PM

34 posts, read 115,616 times
When I lived in Richmond (we moved this past fall), I attended schools within the same school district as Magnolia Ridge. I know quite a few people that also live within that neighborhood. I just graduated in 2008 from Hermitage High School. Before that I attended Brookland Middle School. Hermitage, for me, was okay. The school itself is ridiculously overcrowded. Fights happen at least once a week. Lockdowns were not uncommon either. HOWEVER I did enjoy my high school years. Don't let these facts scare you because they happen everywhere in today's world. Hermitage is the most diverse school in the county, and that has had an extremely positive effect on my life and opinions about the world. I met people from every other racial category and learned that color really means nothing. As far as the school itself is concerned, the teachers vary in whether or not they truly care about teaching, but ones such as Mr. Savino and Mr. Donahue are TRUE teachers... Ones that actually teach well and care about the students. Regardless, there are several stereotypes placed on Hermitage, but the diversity within the school adds to its character. Brookland Middle School on the other hand has gone downhill from when I attended. I visited my senior year of high school and was shocked at the student's behavior and what they are allowed to get away with.

If you have any other questions.. Let me know!

Old 03-13-2009, 11:45 PM

24 posts, read 102,913 times
First, be aware that Henrico County is currently re-districting as a new high is being constructed. Some kids may not end up going to Hermitage, but to the new school. Second, if I'm correct, the high schools are "fed" by several middle schools, which may be different in your area - some places "feed" several elementary schools into one middle/junior and then shift into one high school so all the kids stay together from 6th-12th.

I have familiarity with both Brookland and Hermitage. Brookland is diverse and has a relatively small campus, not exceptionally pretty, not terrible. Kids wear uniforms for PE, but not daily, and classrooms are exterior-opening (meaning: the kids don't walk out into closed hallways, but immediately into fresh-air). Lockers are available, but not often used. Advanced classes are available, and there was an option to even earn high school credit in some courses while in middle school. As in all schools, some teachers are good, some not. Some have created 'core' groups (meaning, they work together as a unit to educate the kids; parent-teacher conferences might be a round table discussions with all of your child's teachers present). You can create an IEP (individualized educational plans) which may help you if your child has developmental delays, emotional problems or is exceptionally gifted or unchallenged by standard curriculum.

Brookland administrators are strict; they react quickly (and in many cases, overreact) to behavioral problems, but this seems to be a growing trend in many middle schools (react first, ask questions later); because of this technique, they sometimes appear overwhelmed and unable to weed out true 'discipline' problems from stupid kid antics. Students have laptops under the Henrico Laptop Initiative, and (in my opinion) technology is great, but maybe not for the 6-8 grade range as the lower maturity levels can create additional disciplinary problems. Many classes rely heavily on the laptops, and in some classes, books were rarely, if ever, used.

Hermitage is a wonderful high school (from a parent's perspective). It is large (2000+ students), diverse and offers many, MANY opportunities for the kids educationally and beyond, including the opportunity to attend an attached vocational school (or any of the others in the county) which provides many with work credit and paid job experience while gaining high school credit. Driver's education is available on campus, too, and does a great job of educating both parent and child. The hallways are laid out well, and students can usually make it to classes without being tardy (exception being driver's ed or any of the very few classes taught in extension trailers at the back). There are plenty of electives (yearbook, drama, languages, etc.), and both advanced and general diplomas are available. Students can take Honors, AP, general and remediation classes. Gym is required until 11th grade, and all students must complete 50+ hours of community service prior to graduation.

Hermitage is also part of the laptop initiative, and they've been a little slow with upgrading the kids' computers, so many are in need of constant repair. The teachers are also heavy on laptop, less so on books, so again, don't be surprised if homework is routinely assigned/completed online. HCPS Link (an online resource used to connect parents/kids/teachers/administration on a daily/weekly basis) is more heavily utilized and updated in high school than at the middle school, so be prepared for that, too. There is a new principal at Hermitage who may be ex-military (the old principal was much more laid-back), and the disciplinary atmosphere has changed somewhat, but not necessarily for the worse. For example, she is very strict regarding cell phone presence and usage. Teachers don't seem to escalate discipline problems excessively as they did in Brookland, and so there's more recognition that teenagers are human, too. Let's put it this way - I don't cringe when the phone rings anymore! There are pep rallies, dances, football games, fundraisers, plays, musical events, etc. My biggest complaint with Hermitage? The guidance counselors! They are extremely slow in dealing with parent questions, student concerns, etc., which can be annoying and stressful when helping kids prep for college, etc. That is a difference from Brookland - counselors were quick to return calls and discuss students' progress.

Oh, and Magnolia Ridge is clean, suburban, and a relatively small community located close to Virginia Center Commons Mall and an additional retail area (Barnes/Noble, Party City, etc.). You can walk from Magnolia Ridge to many small stores (not grocery, though a semi-Super Target and Ukrops are not far; you just wouldn't want to carry things home). There is a small preschool located there, but I recommend using another one (not impressed with care beyond age 3). There is a park in the subdivision. Check crime statistics, but I haven't heard about a lot of car theft, break-in's, etc. in that area. The fire station is nearby (less than 1 mile), and police (state/local) are within 5 miles.

So, hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond