Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 11:31 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,912,336 times

Advertisements

Last time I visited Virginia/Richmond was about 8 years ago and I came a little too early for peak fall foliage. I know it’s hard to exactly predict but what your recommendation...late October/early November or sooner? Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 11:59 AM

19,332 posts, read 17,394,217 times
Historically they predict peak around 13 October but it seems like the last couple of years have been coming much later. I would check the online sites to see how the predictions go this year if you need to plan now late October vs early October seems a better pick.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:23 PM

Hoping you could help me out with hotel recommendations, preferably around Short Pump, Glen Allen areas. I’ll be traveling around that area the most as well as Midlothian. I’ve always gotten good recommendations from locals before when I’ve stayed in other cities. Thanks!

Old 09-25-2019, 06:20 AM

115 posts, read 85,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Hoping you could help me out with hotel recommendations, preferably around Short Pump, Glen Allen areas. I’ll be traveling around that area the most as well as Midlothian. I’ve always gotten good recommendations from locals before when I’ve stayed in other cities. Thanks!
I visited the Richmond area earlier this month and I stayed at the SpringHill Suites on Independence Park Drive for 3 days. Top floor, quiet, no issues, nice location, nice size room, reasonable prices, near the highway, gas stations, grocery store, etc. I believe that's the NW side. It's less than 10 mins from Short Pump Center, made it to Midlothian in about 15-20 mins, and easy access to downtown Richmond. I'd stay there again. If you want recommendations on restaurants, depending on your likes, I can provide my 2 preferred places. Enjoy Richmond....it really was a pleasure for me.

Old 09-26-2019, 05:41 PM

Thx for the hotel recommendation, appreciate it. I stayed at a Springhill Suites in Raleigh and it was very nice (except when lobby slightly flooded due to heavy rain!). I’ll check it out. And I’d definitely like to hear your restaurant recommendations too.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Thx for the hotel recommendation, appreciate it. I stayed at a Springhill Suites in Raleigh and it was very nice (except when lobby slightly flooded due to heavy rain!). I’ll check it out. And I’d definitely like to hear your restaurant recommendations too.
No problem. Just as a side note, I look for restaurants that have gluten free options bc I have Celiac. If the restaurant is strictly gluten free, then that's an added bonus but most places aren't strictly gluten free. Anyway, not sure what kinds of cuisine you like, but I really enjoyed 2 places in the Short Pump area. The Grapevine Greek & Italian Restaurant was really good. Simple, homemade, nice place and location, reasonably priced, friendly staff, good portions. I believe they're on Three Chopt Rd and serve lunch and dinner. The Daily Kitchen and Bar is the other location on West Broad St in Short Pump. They also have a location in Carytown but I didn't go to that one. Organic, all natural, farm to table, friendly, nice location, really good food, open style layout, busy at lunch and dinner, reasonably priced, good sized portions too. I was in Richmond for only 3 days so I didn't dine out at a lot of different places but when I return, I'll be going back to those restaurants.

How was your experience in Raleigh? I've never been but have been to Charlotte and Asheville for a few days. I'm thinking about moving south and I'm considering both VA and NC.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:49 AM

Thx, I’ll definitely check out those restaurants...I have food allergies/restrictions myself so it can be challenging when traveling. Raleigh was nice, it’s growing so rapidly which is something I want to avoid but everything is pretty new looking there. I really don’t know how they will keep up with the growth there. Big college sports area. Seemed geared toward young families. Excellent healthcare. People were very helpful in both Raleigh and Richmond. I found it difficult to drive around in Raleigh but I tend to get lost easily. RVA has better shopping, malls. I think I might get bored in Raleigh, and Richmond has more great areas close by if you need a change of scenery once in a while. I personally love Virginia and have been there quite a few times, have always felt right at home there for some reason. IMO, The only advantages Raleigh has are healthcare and lower crime. To me they really aren’t alike at all, I prefer RVA vibe a lot more. And I missed seeing “water” in Raleigh and RVA has the James River.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:24 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,459,429 times
Enjoy your trip to Richmond. Every time I go I find more restaurants and things to do. In this case, you will want to look around for more things to do, because this autumn's foliage is expected to be a bust. There's widespread drought in the East and it is expected to continue for a while. https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

Some trees are already dropping their brown leaves even though we are experiencing record heat.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Thx, I’ll definitely check out those restaurants...I have food allergies/restrictions myself so it can be challenging when traveling. Raleigh was nice, it’s growing so rapidly which is something I want to avoid but everything is pretty new looking there. I really don’t know how they will keep up with the growth there. Big college sports area. Seemed geared toward young families. Excellent healthcare. People were very helpful in both Raleigh and Richmond. I found it difficult to drive around in Raleigh but I tend to get lost easily. RVA has better shopping, malls. I think I might get bored in Raleigh, and Richmond has more great areas close by if you need a change of scenery once in a while. I personally love Virginia and have been there quite a few times, have always felt right at home there for some reason. IMO, The only advantages Raleigh has are healthcare and lower crime. To me they really aren’t alike at all, I prefer RVA vibe a lot more. And I missed seeing “water” in Raleigh and RVA has the James River.
Thanks for sharing your Raleigh experience. Never been to Raleigh but I've been to Charlotte and Asheville a few times and did quite a bit of driving between the two cities. Charlotte too has experienced rapid growth. I've heard NC is a moving destination as are many southern states. I'm not fond of rapid growth either. I've driven through VA several times but never stayed in VA until last month when I took a road trip. I spent a little more than a week in Roanoke and Richmond. Both were easy to navigate and I liked the layout of both areas including the suburbs. It's hard to pinpoint the reasons but I felt really connected when I was in VA. I do miss it. I didn't get that feeling when I was in NC. It's really a pretty state but VA is prettier to me. The back road drive from Roanoke to Richmond was quiet different than the back road drive I did from Charlotte to Asheville.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:20 AM

126 posts, read 486,586 times
It’s going to be a late peak again this year and the peak Will probably be dull. To hot and dry too late in season. We could get a ton of rain and a cold snap, but for the last couple of years, it hasn’t had the vibrancy of 8 years ago.

Go to CT or Elsewhere in New England. There’s a wider variety of hardwood tree species and a more vibrant leaf season (even in a peak Virginia year).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond