Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 04:10 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,712,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
majority? That's equally silly. Check the RTD on east side henrico schools, this isn't exactly an unknown issue. And it's true in east Chesterfield as well.

If the short pump area, or the area north of it, is middle class, than the West end of the city is as well. Which is to say, that's going to be viewed by most as a silly statement.

The fact there are good schools in the city, which most are unaware of, was what this post is about. There's nothing silly about that, as your own posts demonstrate, as do others on this page. And yes, obviously people in the city know that. Not so sure about people in the far west end. But many people who read this are from out of town, and that knowledge is useful for them.

If one doesn't get one's city kids into the good schools, one can always move to west Henrico as the fallback option. But it's not a given that people who don't want to should have to live out there.
I didn't say the Far West End was middle class. I said the middle class can afford to live in the FWE. Nothing silly about that at all.

And no it's not silly to say the majority of Henrico students (compared with 8% of city students) have access to very good or excellent schools.

We get it--there are THREE good elementaries in the city + 151 slots in HS.

I remember several years ago you made a statement about how you wouldn't let your child attend Deep Run, one of the best high schools in the state. We all have different opinions on this which is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 07:08 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,330,382 times
Is it really the instruction in the schools that is making the performance poor? I think the answer is no. Kids born into significant poverty and violence with undereducated parents is not exactly a recipe for academic success. The city bears the a disproportionate share of he region's poor so of course the academic performance will lag compared to upper middle class suburbs where crime is low, poverty is low, and the educational attainment of parents is high. Schools in areas of the counties that have higher poverty and crime deliver lower academic performance.

Sls - how much time have you spent in city schools ? When I had more time I volunteered to mentor kids at a school where over 90% were in the free lunch program and many lives in housing projects. The school performance on paper was poor. The teachers were very interested in making their kids succeed, the technology was good, the support from mentors and tutors was impressive and the kids seemed eager to learn. Most had broken homes and my mentee told me he saw someone murdered in his housing project over the weekend. His mom went to jail. No one made sure he did his homework or read to him at night. He was surrounded by awful male role models and no one around him had a successful career or college degree. How well would he do at Deep Run? I don't think the outcome would be too different.

I'm blessed to have been born to a middle class family in the burbs that cared. I can't imagine how hard it would be to succeed in his situation. So let's not be so snobby about it.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:00 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,788,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

I won't argue that there are more social issues brought into the schools in the eastern end of Henrico then the west end but even with those challenges their performance far exceeds the secondary schools in the city. As you point out the further west you go the more affluent the communities feeding the schools become reducing the presence of these social issues. Other than 2 or maybe 3 elementary schools which have good parental support what regular schools do you consider "good schools in the city, which most are unaware of", I am curious. Even the areas of the city with middle class or above demographics have crap school assignments forcing parents to pay up or move out which they shouldn't have to do. The other day I was watching the news about the recent problems at Huguenot and a student expression that just trying to go to school is too dangerous....
I think if you re-read the thread you'll see I answered all that already

Old 05-18-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
I didn't say the Far West End was middle class. I said the middle class can afford to live in the FWE. Nothing silly about that at all.

And no it's not silly to say the majority of Henrico students (compared with 8% of city students) have access to very good or excellent schools.

We get it--there are THREE good elementaries in the city + 151 slots in HS.

I remember several years ago you made a statement about how you wouldn't let your child attend Deep Run, one of the best high schools in the state. We all have different opinions on this which is fine.
Yes, I would not want my kid to go to deep run, probably, but I think it is one of the best schools in Henrico. Different issue, and some stuff specific to us.

I'm glad you get it now. That was the only point of this thread. People who are not from here, and many people in Henrico etc., would not guess there are as many as 3 excellent elementaries, and access to 3 excellent magnet schools.

Clearly the fact we have at best 2 "up and coming" middle schools, Hill and Binford, and one iffy but maybe up and coming middle school IB program "Lucille Brown" is an issue.

But for a lot of city parents the fact there is more or less a path to staying in the city, not getting forced out, is a BIG deal

Old 05-18-2016, 07:16 PM

19,328 posts, read 17,219,335 times
/\

Glad you find the education options adequate, please make sure you post your middle/high school selection once your kids are done with elementary I am curious which path you'll select.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:04 PM

I think I posted that above earlier as well. And I don't think you understood my point, rather than repeating it ad - infinitum I'll let you re-read it.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:09 AM

No your right I don't understand your point, as I stated I don't accept magnet/specialty schools as a representation of any school districts performance. When you eliminate them from the mix what's left? The 3 elementary schools you speak of would do well regardless of their open status because the core group feeding them are involved parents. But what happens after parents without limited means are forced to move out because they can't afford the private route and they are not going to jeopardize their child's education on "we have at best 2 "up and coming" middle schools".

This is an unfair decision that those choosing to live in the city have to make and it cripples the cities ability to attract and maintain a stable middle class. Other than those without options to leave the city is empty nesters either young or older but definitely those who do not have kids in the public schools.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:39 AM

yes, I more or less agreed with that previously. Aside from the fact I personally have a kid in Richmond public school, so my perspective might be a bit different from yours.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
yes, I more or less agreed with that previously. Aside from the fact I personally have a kid in Richmond public school, so my perspective might be a bit different from yours.
I was aware that you have school age children that is the reason I am curious what route you will choose after elementary.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:46 PM

Albert hill if it's good enough for me, which it might be in 5 years but no guarantees. A bunch of people are trying to get everyone from Mumford and Fox to go there, at which point it will be basically like those schools. If not St. Catherine's for middle school. Maggie Walker for high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond