Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 02:54 PM

3 posts, read 12,748 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of moving to the Richmond area. What rural areas are good to live in? Which ones should we steer away from in house hunting? Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 04:50 PM

220 posts, read 1,109,704 times
Goochland county is rural but within an easy commute to Richmond and Charlottesville.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:05 AM

486 posts, read 1,949,633 times
What's your price range and what kind of home and neighborhood are you looking for?

Old 01-14-2008, 05:27 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,620,600 times
Smile My little bit of help

Hey! Try Far Eastern Henrico County (Elko/Varina), Aylett (in King William County), or Quinton or Providence Forge (both in New Kent co.). I lived in Varina for my intire life and its not a bad place to live. The school system isnt great & it may not be as far out as youd like it to be (lots of postage stamp subdivisions popping up everywhere!). Aylett (not sure if I am spelling it right) is kinda cool because its close to Mechanicsville (lots of places to shop/eat) yet also close to (about 30-40 min to both) Tappohannock (really cool water town). New Kent is also nice because of its proximity to Williamsburg & Richmond (within 45 min. to both!!). I am sure there are other rural areas to check out but these are what come to mind to me. If I were to choose between the three here I would definatly choose New Kent area. : - ). Personally tho (and I am going off the topic of your question so forgive me!).. About 6 Months ago I moved to Southwestern Va. (Roanoke) and love it.. it has its rural areas too but being in the mountains is much more to look at for me besides flat lands. Hope this info helps!!

Old 02-10-2008, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,093 times
Unhappy Varinas been sold out

hey, it used to be beautiful, but too many vinyl sided hi-density subdivisions without any trees, and condos that were built before the county thought about overdeveloping varina because they ran out of land-

i'd look somewhere else.. we already left and are far enough away from the
oncoming wave of cement to see still see the stars and hear the birds.
in the last couple of weeks there's been bad news coming out of the old highschool too- guns and violence, and it hasnt even begun to be because of all the new suburbanites coming in yet..

too bad

Old 02-11-2008, 04:04 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,620,600 times
Smile Varina has changed

I was in Varina this past weekend visiting family.. its sad to say that the area is changing.. lots of development.. four mile run has gotten out of hand. The area that my parents live in (battlefield park) is still nice.. mostly because all around them is gov't property and can't be developed. I have to say that comming back to the mountains made me feel happy & grateful to live in such a pretty area! I made the best move of my life!! Just out of couriosty.. where did you move to??

Quote:
Originally Posted by out east View Post
hey, it used to be beautiful, but too many vinyl sided hi-density subdivisions without any trees, and condos that were built before the county thought about overdeveloping varina because they ran out of land-

i'd look somewhere else.. we already left and are far enough away from the
oncoming wave of cement to see still see the stars and hear the birds.
in the last couple of weeks there's been bad news coming out of the old highschool too- guns and violence, and it hasnt even begun to be because of all the new suburbanites coming in yet..

too bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond