Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:46 PM

51 posts, read 56,722 times

Advertisements

It took us a while to put everything together but my fiancée and I are finally in the market to buy our first home. I currently rent in Henrico County close to the Goochland border (23238) and want to move closer to the city. The areas we are considering are the near west end (between Broad and Patterson), lakeside, and the forest hill area.
My fiancée really likes the forest hill area (proximity to park, farmers market etc) but judging from some of the other threads here I am sensing that safety is a concern.
I wanted to get some thoughts on the pro and cons before focusing on a particular neighborhood.
Schools are not an issue for us as we are not planning to start a family just yet. Not sure that this matters but we are a mixed race couple; I am south Asian and my fiancée is from southern Europe and we would prefer living in a neighborhood that is at least somewhat diverse.

thanks for the help
ahtas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 10:50 PM

326 posts, read 689,592 times
The Forest Hill neighborhood is safe... never had a problem. A pro to buying a house there is that the homes have recently been declared historic and thus the value of the home you buy will only appreciate with time. Some more pro's to that neighborhood include proximity to both the boulevard and belvidere bridges providing you easy access to downtown and uptown as well as the river, and as your wife mentioned the park and farmers market. Really a great neighborhood.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:16 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,167,372 times
i just bought a house in the forest hill area and so far it has been great. its not the greatest area but its not too bad and you can prob get better bang for your buck housing-wise. the area also has a lot of character and the fact that you can walk to the trails along the river is really nice. i wouldn't buy there with children but since that isnt an issue for you definitely look into it!

Old 03-07-2013, 02:20 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,000,033 times
How long would you own the house for before children do become a schooling issue?

House price is just one component ... have you checked the Richmond taxes versus Chesterfield!?!?!?!?!?!

Perhaps a little more west into N Chesterfield?????

Old 03-07-2013, 04:52 PM

51 posts, read 56,722 times
Thanks, hgnmx, brocco.
Got a couple of listings in the Forest Hill Terrace neighborhood and they seem to be priced at somewhat of a discount form the assessed value. Is there something i am missing here?

ocngypz,
I get your point about schools and taxes and i do agree to some extent. My wife lived in a city (more of a town actually) all her life where everything is close by (shops, restaurants etc) and is weary of the isolation of living on a large lot in the county. Although she has been here for a while she still cant get over the fact that very few neighborhoods are actually walkable.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:05 PM

What are the three rules about real estate????????????????????

Forget that you are a buyer now. Pretend you are the seller. How would you "sell" the attributes of your home versus a similar priced home in the N. Chesterfield section of Bon Air with better schools and lower taxes?

And that's the answer to your question about listing price versus assessments. When all else fails..........lower the price.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:56 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,779,546 times
I'd pay a LOT of money not to live in chesterfield actually. And so would my neighbors. And we all did. Yes, location location... But take a look where the most expensive houses in the region are every month. (Times despatch publishes it). Mostly in the city you'll find. If the city is that bad, why is it the clear first choice of people paying over a million?

Answer: despite local myths, the city isn't bad. Parts are, sure. And so are parts of chesterfield. It doesn't affect most of the people who live in the city, despite what people who are afraid to come in here think. The city isn't actually that much more expensive, and it's worth it to be able to walk to places that literally don't exist in chesterfield. It's just a lot more fun.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:12 PM

326 posts, read 689,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
Answer: despite local myths, the city isn't bad. It's just a lot more fun.
Amen to that.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:28 AM

6 posts, read 25,229 times
I live off of Westover Hills and King William and I love it here. The neighbors are so friendly, and it is quiet. I've never had a problem. I run to the Forest Hill park and ride my bike there as well. It is very nice. I moved to Richmond 6 months ago, and the way how ppl describe south side and Richmond in general is nothing compare to places like Philly where I lived for 7 years and NYC where I'm originally from. I'm moving to Lakeside in a 2 weeks, but only because I find myself up that way quite often as it is near West End.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:24 AM

Check MLS 1306381 Midlothian walk to stores and restaurants you'd actually like! Sycamore Square Walk to elementary and middle schools. Great school district.

In your price range with low taxes.

New listing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond