Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,782 times

Advertisements

Young 24 yr old male potentially relocating to Richmond for work. Would like to know where the best areas are to live in the area? Would like to be in an area with good social setting (bars, restaraunts etc.) and a somewhat young prof. crowd. Have heard of the Fan district, and know about the local universities.Like to have a good time just wouldnt know anyone right off the bat. I would just like some advice and thoughts from those who know the area..also looking for rent that is no higher than 650 or so. Any help here would be much appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 08:58 AM

111 posts, read 428,885 times
The Fan will be your best bet if you like living in the city. The only issue may be the rent you want to pay. Otherwise, the far West End and Midlothian may equally meet your needs if you prefer suburban living.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 21,318 times
Default Where to live

The Fan would a good place - it's right in the center of town and there are lots of things to do/parks/bars/restaurants in walking distance. But they've been raising rents in the area a lot, plus there are lots of college kids around which can be kind of annoying. You might also consider looking in the Shockoe Slip/Bottom area - I moved there from the Fan in May, and my apartment is bigger and cheaper and nicer and comes with more amenities. There are restaurants and bars and clubs to walk to, and it's convenient to all of the main highways. The only problem is parking, but that's not toooooo bad either. And there isn't a 7-11 in walking distance.

You should be able to find a nice 1 bedroom for that rent amount, but you could probably find somewhere cheaper if you got a room mate. You could definitely find somewhere cheaper in Chesterfield or the West End, but those areas are much more cookie-cutter and places are far apart... so you'd spend a lot on gas.

Oh, and a good place to look for apartments is on craigslist.org or richmond.com.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:38 AM

55 posts, read 243,709 times
I'm 25 and have been living downtown for the past 7 years. You have VCU which has roughly 30,000 students between both campuses (MCV). Your price range keeps you from living downtown where all the clubs are (my favorite spot is Tobacco Co. downstairs - happy hour thurs-sat 8pm-9pm $1 drinks).

The fan is going to be where you should live. Take a look at a map and everywhere to the WEST of HARISON ST (at VCU) to the end of Carytown (thompson st.). Most of the bars are around main st and boulevard. Look for places between main st. and grace st. and probably to the EAST of boulevard if you want more of a college crowd but it is all mixed up really. I lived 5 blocks from campus on grove ave and had single family homes to the right and left of my house (who called the cops on us on a regular basis). Don't bother have a nice car...people can't parallel park at all and your car will get destroyed. Public transportation is nonexistant.

BEFORE YOU GET A PLACE, POST THE LOCATION! The fan is very weird. 3 blocks one way and you are in a very nice section. 3 blocks the other way you are in the hood.

More than likely I'll be leaving richmond to follow my career...but we will see. Drop me a message if you need anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: