Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:39 PM

61 posts, read 189,743 times

Advertisements

I am originally from the Chicago area and moved to Richmond with my husband ten years ago for his job. We have two young children. He now has a possibility to move to Peachtree City, GA for his job. I have never been to Georgia-only driven through once-so I have no frame of reference at all really. I have never grown to love Richmond in all the time I've been here. However, I've been here a LONG time and of course do have a fondness and some attachment to it now even though I have always felt like I didn't remotely belong here. I miss Chicago and the midwest horribly but there is no chance of going back there any time soon.

So....I do want to get out of Richmond but at the same time, I hate change and get nervous about starting over! I can't decide-should we start a new life in Peachtree City or stay here?

I wonder if people in Peachtree City are friendlier? Richmond is a very aloof city in my opinion-and others I've talked with. Especially if you're one of those dreaded Northerners, ha! Making friends here has been like pulling teeth. I've met a handful of great people but many more unfriendly ones.

I'd love opinions on where you would rather live-Richmond or Peachtree City, GA, just to get some ideas on the best move for my family....thank you for your help!!!

p.s. What is there to DO nature-wise around Atlanta?? One thing I love about Richmond is the proximity to ocean and mountains. I would REALLY miss that! Atlanta looks so land-locked. That's the only real con I can see. Thank you for any input/help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 08:07 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,784,945 times
For what its worth, as a northerner whose been here for a year I've had no problems making friends. Maybe you are in the wrong area and a move within Richmond would be in order?

I know Atlanta a bit, and prefer Richmond. Never heard of Peachtree City

Old 02-22-2012, 06:12 AM

I think you may be right Charles. I have found more friends through my daughter's preschool-which is in a different area of Richmond than I live in-than where I'm at. My husband and I have tossed around moving neighborhoods for years. If we stay in Richmond I am definitely going to get the ball rolling on that. I have met some wonderful people in Richmond, it's just that they were harder to find than I'm used to back home (Chicago)-people have seemed more aloof here. Glad to know it might just be my area!

Thanks for your reply!

Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,784,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac28 View Post
I think you may be right Charles. I have found more friends through my daughter's preschool-which is in a different area of Richmond than I live in-than where I'm at. My husband and I have tossed around moving neighborhoods for years. If we stay in Richmond I am definitely going to get the ball rolling on that. I have met some wonderful people in Richmond, it's just that they were harder to find than I'm used to back home (Chicago)-people have seemed more aloof here. Glad to know it might just be my area!

Thanks for your reply!
I think area makes a big difference in Richmond, and a lot of what people say/ask on here tends to back it up. Actually, make that everywhere - not just Richmond...

Most people don't tend to think much about area, aside from things like commute/schools/houses. I do, but its professional for me. I do find that if you are in an area with other people like you, you are probably going to find things easier. There's no right answer, of course, it all depends on the person/family.

And different areas have different "cultures", of course. Some are more front porch/chat on the sidewalk, and others are more go home, have dinner with family. Fitting in with the culture generally makes things easier.

Something else which may or may not apply - it is always easier to make friends in a place where you grew up, then a place you've moved to. Being a newcomer makes things harder, wherever you are.

I've moved a lot, and as a result I give a lot of thought to area and friends before I move, as I've found it really matters. In general, areas full of transplants will be more friendly with transplants - areas where everyone knows each other from elementary school will be more closed. People's lives are busy, and once they have "enough" friends, they tend not to be looking as much for more friends. This isn't bad, its just normal - we all tend to look to fix things in our lives that aren't working, not the parts that seem to be working.

I've actually found Richmond to be one of the friendlier cities I've lived in, for what it's worth, though this may say more about places I've lived before, and the Fan, then it does about Richmond I grant.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:46 PM

Thanks for such an insightful reply Charles! I definitely agree with you about a transplant area being a better bet. My neighborhood is a mix of Richmond area residents and transplants but it does seem overly cliquey. Just always has been hard to break in here, I still feel like an outsider in this city a decade in. Sad! Luckily I go home a lot and see my old friends! But again, I have met some wonderful people in Richmond too!

I would love to try out a new neighborhood here just for a change of pace. Or we may move to GA, who knows? I'm on the fence about moving away. I have grown to love a lot in Richmond and have a strange attachment to it even though again, I don't feel I truly fit here.

Anyways, thank you so much for your replies, they are very much appreciated!!

Old 02-23-2012, 01:31 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,432,601 times
Quote:
Thanks for such an insightful reply Charles! I definitely agree with you about a transplant area being a better bet. My neighborhood is a mix of Richmond area residents and transplants but it does seem overly cliquey. Just always has been hard to break in here, I still feel like an outsider in this city a decade in. Sad! Luckily I go home a lot and see my old friends! But again, I have met some wonderful people in Richmond too!

I would love to try out a new neighborhood here just for a change of pace. Or we may move to GA, who knows? I'm on the fence about moving away. I have grown to love a lot in Richmond and have a strange attachment to it even though again, I don't feel I truly fit here.

Anyways, thank you so much for your replies, they are very much appreciated!!
I don't know where you are, but I live in Short Pump and here the ones who don't fit in......are the locals! It's all about were you are. I've been here for 3 years and although I wouldn't say I fit in, I don't really stick out either.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 PM

73 posts, read 165,518 times
Peachtree city is about 20 miles SW of ATL. One of the prettiest cities in that area. Most of the airlines related/employed people/families live there. Was appropriately voted as CNN money top ten cities pretty recently and consistently ranks high for quality of life in multiple polls. Has a fantastic maze of Golf cart trails which winds around the city. It is in a very nice area of GA and in my opinion is prettier,and if I may add, very progressive than cities in the RVA metro area (in my humble opinion). A lot of new families are moving in. Very close to all the amenities anyone needs yet far enough to live a peaceful life. You wouldn't go wrong with it. The houses are stunning and much cheaper than here. If you like new and clean areas you ll love it. The summers can be hot and humid. Don't know much about the schools. Roughly 35 k population and growing. I hope this helps. I lived in the NW of ATL but know about Peachtree city fairly well. It's stunning in spring!

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:46 PM

Ooh, thank you Confused! Okay, I'm getting more excited again. Peachtree City sounds very nice! I'm still not sure if we'll be asked to move there or not. I figure, if we do it sounds like a great place for a family. If we don't, well, I'm used to Richmond and do love a lot of things here so we'd be fine here too. But Peachtree would be a nice change. I think we'll find out by May/June.

I did look up the schools in the area and they appear to be really good which is great news for my kids.

Thanks for the great info!

Old 04-03-2012, 04:43 PM

20 posts, read 60,586 times
Default !

The choice you pose is a hard one, but has pros and cons to both sides. Personally, I like Richmond more than the Atlanta area but I can definitely see the appeal of a place like Peachtree. That being said you have to take into account the pure basic differences. and to me, that starts in the Checkbook, Richmond has a low cost of living, whereas Peachtree does not. Its relatively easy in Richmond to find affordable housing anywhere in the Metro region. The Atlanta region is going to be a lot more crowded which means, your cost of living will rise, depending on whether you have a significant pay increase that might not matter too much but its something to think about. Next I think of quality of life, in Richmond you have ample parkland, historical sites, museums, and entertainment not to mention that pretty much everything is less than 30 minutes from Downtown Richmond! The Atlanta region is infamous for its bad traffic, urban sprawl, and poor transit planning (even the airport is crowded like crazy!). However, that being said, That area is HUGE! and none the less can provide you with things that you simply cannot get in little ole Richmond, that might be a brand you like to shop at, and things like non-stop flights to half the planet leave from Atlanta. However, Atlanta does have a lot of the same things Richmond does, but being in Peachtree could mean that you might spend a lot of time just getting to the things you want to do. Richmond also is 2 hours from DC the ocean and the mountains, The Peachtree area is much farther from mountain or oceans. You've got a lot to weigh in. but in my personal opinion, you might not like Richmond, but unless you dream of sitting in Atlanta traffic, waiting hours to get on a plane, spending more on a home and breathing in tons more smog then I would say you might not want to head to Georgia so quick.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:11 PM

457 posts, read 695,188 times
Quote:
I am originally from the Chicago area and moved to Richmond with my husband ten years ago for his job. We have two young children. He now has a possibility to move to Peachtree City, GA for his job. I have never been to Georgia-only driven through once-so I have no frame of reference at all really. I have never grown to love Richmond in all the time I've been here. However, I've been here a LONG time and of course do have a fondness and some attachment to it now even though I have always felt like I didn't remotely belong here. I miss Chicago and the midwest horribly but there is no chance of going back there any time soon.

So....I do want to get out of Richmond but at the same time, I hate change and get nervous about starting over! I can't decide-should we start a new life in Peachtree City or stay here?

I wonder if people in Peachtree City are friendlier? Richmond is a very aloof city in my opinion-and others I've talked with. Especially if you're one of those dreaded Northerners, ha! Making friends here has been like pulling teeth. I've met a handful of great people but many more unfriendly ones.

I'd love opinions on where you would rather live-Richmond or Peachtree City, GA, just to get some ideas on the best move for my family....thank you for your help!!!

p.s. What is there to DO nature-wise around Atlanta?? One thing I love about Richmond is the proximity to ocean and mountains. I would REALLY miss that! Atlanta looks so land-locked. That's the only real con I can see. Thank you for any input/help!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
I don't know where you are, but I live in Short Pump and here the ones who don't fit in......are the locals! It's all about were you are. I've been here for 3 years and although I wouldn't say I fit in, I don't really stick out either.
Short Pump and Glen Allen has, unfortunately, been taken over by Northerners. As a native Richmonder I can understand not feeling like you fit in. Not even I feel like I fit in here anymore. If you're looking for good people, and a good atmosphere then I recommend Hanover county. Just please don't tell your Northern friends as I'd hate to see Hanover go down the drain too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond