Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:07 AM

64 posts, read 321,245 times

Advertisements

I have to go to Richmond on business next week for a very quick visit. I'll be in the Glen Allen area. How could I best kill a few hours there? Don't have time to do much. How far away is Va Beach? Are there any civil war sites or plantations nearby? Or will I be relegated to shopping malls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 11:33 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,849,968 times
You could downtown and visit a couple of museums, there is the art museum, the Valentine Museum (Richmond History Center), you could stroll along Cary Street for some ecletic shopping. you can go to Hollywood Cemetary and see where 3 presidents are buried and a civil war tomb. You could go to Maymont Park and either see the animals, there is a small *zoo* there, but it only has native animals, like the bears or you could go see the Mansion.

you could go to the Edgar Allen Poe museum, see St. Johns Church (where Patrick Henry gave his famous Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death speach), and visit the oldest part of Richmond... Shockoe Bottom and Church Hill.

What do you like to do? There really is a lot!!

Shelly

Old 09-02-2007, 03:09 PM

Unfortunately, I will only have a couple of hours in the afternoon and then the evening. I know nothing about Richmond. Thats why I was curious how close the beach is and if I would be better off just soaking up some sun. I do like history though, however I don't want to spend time either stuck or lost in traffic. Was curious about things nearby in Glen Allen. Thanks for your response.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:22 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,803,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkhouse View Post
Unfortunately, I will only have a couple of hours in the afternoon and then the evening. I know nothing about Richmond. Thats why I was curious how close the beach is and if I would be better off just soaking up some sun. I do like history though, however I don't want to spend time either stuck or lost in traffic. Was curious about things nearby in Glen Allen. Thanks for your response.
I think you may be too rushed for the beach. Its about a 2 hour drive from Richmond.

Colonial Williamsburg is just an hour away , though. Traffic is usually not too bad on 1-64.

Theres Maymont Park if you like great scenery.

Welcome to the Maymont Foundation - Explore Richmond's 100-acre Adventure! You could have a nice picnic lunch out there.

Downtown Shockoe Slip has some nice restaurants like Tobacco Company etc. Depending on your budget- also Southern Railway is very affordable.

Strawberry St Cafe on Strawberry St is a great lunch spot.

You could also visit some of the museums on Boulevard. The Virginia Historical Society- Virginia Historical Society - The Center for Virginia History has an exhibit on Pocohantas.

Or visit one of the James River Plantations on RT 5
James River Plantations - Between Richmond and Williamsburg

Theres tons more of too, I just can't think of right now.

I do think Carytown is probably the best bet. They have tons of shops, restaurants, and such all along one street.

Enjoy your stay.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:27 AM

dunk, the beach is 2.5 hours away, and that is with no traffic : ) Glen Allen is a suburb of Richmond, and as such, doesn't have as many of the cultural things you will find in the city. If you have to stay out there, you will end up at the Mall. It is a nice Mall. It is an outside mall, so strolling through it, you still get outside air, but it is a Mall.

The places mentioned above will take you about 20 minutes to get to, so not that far if you can do a little exploring.

Shelly

Old 09-03-2007, 08:38 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,322,706 times
You could possibly look into visiting one of the battlefields in Hanover... and downtown is only 20 minutes away so you could also have access to all the cultural things there.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:08 PM

Is there anything like a Gray Line tour in Richmond where I could see a lot of things in a short period?

Old 09-03-2007, 03:13 PM

Not that I know of. Maybe someone else does?

shelly

Old 09-03-2007, 08:20 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,887,483 times
Just a thought, but you could always check out the Riverfront where the Canal Walk exists. You could park near Brown Island and walk the canal walk further into the city and back. There's some history and if you do a round trip, you could stop for lunch/dinner in Shockoe Slip. It's 1.25 miles long and is relaxing, outdoors and easy to get to. There's also the American Civil War Center at the beginning of it, and a bridge that takes you a ways out into the James. It's a nice, relaxing area!

Here's a link for more info: Richmond, Virginia

Old 09-03-2007, 09:51 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,322,706 times
The recently renovated state capitol is also an interesting option... it's free and you're actually free to roam much of the building without needing to be in some sort of tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond