Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 04:05 PM

17,676 posts, read 9,164,338 times

Advertisements

A look at the most affordable housing in Rhode Island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GniTGl1KBY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 04:27 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Central Falls?

Old 02-28-2024, 04:35 PM

9,288 posts, read 14,892,417 times
Well yes, Rhode Island has matched your state of MA Casey thanks- in part- to all the MA residents who have moved here. It may well be now true that CF is most affordable.

Old 02-28-2024, 05:10 PM

3,782 posts, read 2,687,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Yes. It's insane. Big money investors are taking over. I get calls daily, that I don't answer, from people wanting to buy my house for cash, sight unseen, no inspection yadda yadda.

I hope everybody else is hanging up on them as well; they want to change the fabric of our country by putting home ownership out of reach and ensuring we're a nation that owes the landlord 40% of our pay each month.

https://rhodeislandcurrent.com/2024/...od%20of%20time.
I get the typical postcards/letters, usually one per week. These go right into the recycling. This week alone I have also had a text and a voicemail asking me to sell. These restarted a few weeks ago after a wintertime lull. I think they are gearing up for summer projects. I block their numbers. If I wanted to sell, I would put the house on the MLS.

I assume these callers are not Blackrock-like outfits looking to buy up property for rentals; I think Providence is largely off their radar (for now). I think these are flippers who know how to apply lipstick. I know a guy who has flipped three properties in my neighborhood.. The properties were in tough shape, unoccupied, but not on the market. He reached out to the owners, and got them cheap. He didn’t resolve many of the fundamental problems with the houses. Instead he did a quick and dirty paint job inside and out (no prep work!), “upgraded” the kitchens and baths, and put them on the market. He made a killing, but now the new owners complain about shoddy workmanship.

On the plus side, the houses are now occupied, which helps alleviate market pressure.

Old 02-28-2024, 07:20 PM

5,130 posts, read 6,127,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
When I came back to RI years ago from living elsewhere, I was surprised to find home prices so modest. Some nice places like Newport seemed vastly underpriced. Now prices seem more in line with comparable values in other states.

Unless interest rates drop precipitously, I don't see much imminent change.

However, there are some decent neighborhoods where it is still possible to buy- and since RI can vary a lot in quality of life over a relatively small area- it seems to come down to where a buyer is comfortable purchasing. Most of us have a very short list of neighborhoods we'd buy into.

Where would you want to live JBtwinz??
We like Chepachet and and North Smithfield………… I really loved where my grandparents lived on Wentworth Ave on the Roger Williams Zoo side and I like the older homes in Edgewood but we are targeting around Chepachet.

Old 02-29-2024, 03:51 AM

8,067 posts, read 4,688,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
We like Chepachet and and North Smithfield………… I really loved where my grandparents lived on Wentworth Ave on the Roger Williams Zoo side and I like the older homes in Edgewood but we are targeting around Chepachet.
I also love Wentworth & Norwood Ave.. Parts of Carr Street at the park are also lovely. But, a whole different experience from Chepachet.

Old 02-29-2024, 05:22 AM

3,782 posts, read 2,687,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
I also love Wentworth & Norwood Ave.. Parts of Carr Street at the park are also lovely. But, a whole different experience from Chepachet.
Yes, those two streets are fantastic, particularly between Broad St. and Roger Williams Park. Though there is one house on Wentworth that is tragicomically remuddled. It is my hope that someone comes in to rectify/restore that house at some point.

Last edited by ormari; 02-29-2024 at 06:03 AM..

Old 02-29-2024, 05:58 AM

9,288 posts, read 14,892,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Not much available in Chepachet but I do some in the Burrillville and Pascoag area nearby that seem reasonably priced.

Old 02-29-2024, 05:55 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Sounds about right. There are people whom I'd rather not have that level of specificity about where I live. It was a mistake to be so specific before and I won't make that mistake again. Sure, our "experts" will use your location (regardless of whether they've decided it's "good" or "bad" - just ask anyone from Jamestown or the East Side) to personally attack you if you dare disagree with anything they post. But the first part is the primary factor in not sharing that information.

Pointing out one's chosen community to provide context as well as the irony in one's argument, is not by any means an attack. I don't think I have EVER "personally attacked" somebody based on where they live.

I would also appreciate it if you stopped misquoting me.

Old 02-29-2024, 05:59 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,672,702 times
^But either way, welcome to Providence. Wherever you are, I still think you'll probably find your way to the Hampton Inn in Pawtucket with a 304 from Camden Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island