Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 09:22 AM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times

Advertisements

What is going on that side of town? I mean these waves come and go, but I never heard of the school issuing such a stern warning like this before...

Providence College sends warning to students after recent uptick in crime

https://www.abc6.com/providence-coll...tick-in-crime/

"PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE)-Providence College sent a warning to students on Friday, after a group of students was robbed and assaulted in the city.
The group was walking near Tyndall Avenue and Chad Brown Street when a group of males approached them, according to the warning.

The males, ages ranging from 16-19 years old, punched and kicked the students.
One student reported that their iPhone, school ID card, and credit cards had been stolen.
In the warning, the school mentions that other crimes have been happening in the Elmhurst section of the city as well.
“There have been reports of strong-arm robberies, breaking and entering and thefts from vehicles in the area,” the warning read.
The school’s Office of Public Safety is reminding students to be aware of their surroundings, to walk in groups and in well-lit areas, secure their valuables, and the lock their doors and windows."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2021, 09:44 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
I don't get why this should be a mystery to you- a crime reporter who lives in Maine.

Chad Brown is South Providence, it's never been safe for decades.

Also, crime is up nation wide because of the police shortage and also cops being hesitate to do their jobs due to so much criticism. No mystery there either.

Old 10-05-2021, 09:51 AM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I don't get why this should be a mystery to you- a crime reporter who lives in Maine.

Chad Brown is South Providence, it's never been safe for decades.

Also, crime is up nation wide because of the police shortage and also cops being hesitate to do their jobs due to so much criticism. No mystery there either.

Several things Holly...

1. The incident noted, occurred at the intersection of Tyndall Avenue and Chad Brown Street. That is not in the CHAD BROWN projects. It's in the city's Elmhurst neighborhood.

2. CHAD BROWN is not in South Providence, it's in the city's North End.

3. The warning issued by PC, is specifically geared for students who frequent the Elmhurst neighborhood.

I ask that you please have some respect, and read before you comment.

Regards...

Old 10-05-2021, 01:53 PM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times
These random attacks are becoming more frequent everywhere. Elmhurst has always be relatively safe, except for petty crimes which have always been a problem. Assuming these particular PC students were sober, that they were random targets is troublesome. However, a collection of drunks stumbling down the sidewalk waving iPhones can be targeted anywhere. I have seen such on Smith Street before.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:30 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,182,574 times
East of Huxley has been questionable for decades.

Old 10-06-2021, 08:03 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

3. The warning issued by PC, is specifically geared for students who frequent the Elmhurst neighborhood.

I ask that you please have some respect, and read before you comment.

Regards...
My point is ( that you always conveniently miss) is "so what" and "what else is new"? You have this OMG
about every single neighborhood incident. There is crime in cities- we all know it- and like I said, and for the reasons I posted (and probably others as well), there is more this year.

PC students probably cause more crime in that area than they experience as we all know who have lived in RI. They have a reputation for it.

There is zero reason why I should "respect" your obsessive reports.

Old 10-06-2021, 09:22 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
PC students probably cause more crime in that area than they experience as we all know who have lived in RI. They have a reputation for it.
The few people I know still doing lyft/uber absolutely refuse to pick up rides from the PC student neighborhood. Invariably when there is a problem with passengers (dropping off), its PC students the majority of the time. Cesspool.

Old 10-06-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
My point is ( that you always conveniently miss) is "so what" and "what else is new"? You have this OMG
about every single neighborhood incident. There is crime in cities- we all know it- and like I said, and for the reasons I posted (and probably others as well), there is more this year.

PC students probably cause more crime in that area than they experience as we all know who have lived in RI. They have a reputation for it. There is zero reason why I should "respect" your obsessive reports.
Indeed, on all counts!

Old 10-06-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The few people I know still doing lyft/uber absolutely refuse to pick up rides from the PC student neighborhood. Invariably when there is a problem with passengers (dropping off), its PC students the majority of the time. Cesspool.
I know more than a few people who are homeowners in Elmhurst. Most would gladly put up with the petty crime if they could trade it to get rid of PC.

Old 10-06-2021, 10:19 AM

17,716 posts, read 9,187,561 times
There were 6 assaults during the past week, including 2 PC girls who were with their mothers on parents weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E-i0gyxN24
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island