Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 11:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,161 times

Advertisements

ello,

I am looking to move to Providence from where I live now, alaska, which is the worst place on earth for someone like me, or any young person for that matter, to be living in. I am 18 and have lived in Portland, OR for a good part of my teenage life. Although I love Portland I want to get away from people I know and start a new life. I have heard Providence is a really up and coming city and have a few friends sorta close to there. I was wondering a little about it, things like the culture, job market etc (trying to make a Portland comparison). The biggest thing would probably be the job market, even though my parents will support me if need be, I want to try and make it on my own. I also looked up rent and found it to be reasonable compared to alot of other cities. As for the culture, I was wondering about things like the arts, fashion, the GLBT community, and youth culture in general.

THNKS BABEZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 12:00 PM

7 posts, read 16,468 times
Providence definitely has a lot of culture. There are a few colleges including RISD most of whose students are there studying some form of art. I would reccomend the East Side of Providence, It is a much nicer area and there are plenty of things for a young person to do. There are definitely some sketchy parts of Providence, But my husband used to live on the East Side when we were dating and there was never a lack of things to do. As for the GLBT I have a few friends that used to drive up from CT because there are more clubs and bars that cater to that lifestyle than in CT. I don't know for sure how prominent the community is but I do know that there IS a definite community and people aren't so judgemental in Providence because the population has such a high number of college age kids who I think are generally more accepting than those from an older generation

Old 05-04-2008, 05:42 PM

166 posts, read 705,775 times
Keep in mind that Providence is a much smaller city than Portland, and while Boston is only an hour away, it could still be a factor if you are used to a big city lifestyle. Also keep in mind that most of the new people who come to Providence are college students who usually meet people and make friends with others in their school/dorm. I moved to Providence right after school and found it somewhat hard to meet people my age because of that. All in all however, Providence is a great place for liberal, young people and much cheaper than either Boston or New York!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:13 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,808 times
There's a large GLBT community in Providence, you won't have a problem there. If you're into bars/clubs, there's like 10 gay bars downtown alone. Job market is a little rough right now, but there are always service/hospitality jobs and plenty of restaurants to work at. Overall, Providence would probably be like a mini-Portland to you, it's dense and walkable like Portland and the metro areas are comparable in size, just the city itself is smaller. And you'd only be an hour train ride from Boston as well.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:16 PM

104 posts, read 260,250 times
Hope you come! Providence is great for all that stuff. A little bit small as far as big cities go, but has plenty to offer. Besides youre getting all of southern New England when you live around here.... not just one city. Be adventurous, bold, and dont take anybody's crap. If youre gay, where it like a badge! Be yourself...

Welcome to New England!

Old 05-06-2008, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 7,161 times
Smile thnks so much!

Thanks so much for the information guys! It definitly answered alot of my questions, I actually have been e-mailing this guy about a room there and all I need do is call him, send a deposit (i kno, but ill have to show a little trust on this one) and make my ticket. I definatlely think Providence would be great for me as I am just sorta starting out. Still a little confuzed about the job market though, I kno in Portland it took me like 2 1/2 months to get a job at fredmeyer! I was hoping that the job market there was a little like Seattle's, as in its not that hard to find a job, but I guess ill go with it and find out, lol.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:57 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,808 times
^ Be careful with sending a deposit by mail, I wouldn't do that without meeting first and seeing the place.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:25 PM

104 posts, read 260,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProvGuy View Post
^ Be careful with sending a deposit by mail, I wouldn't do that without meeting first and seeing the place.

I second that. Under no circumstances would I recommend taking an apartment you havent seen in person. Alot of old places in here- could be in bad shape or in a bad neighborhood. Besides... try to find yourself a job before you get here. I would think Seattle's job market may be better than Providence's.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:33 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,028,636 times
Providence has a very active GLBT community- one of the best in New England. Boston is quite good as well, and Massachusetts allows gay marriages- which RI does sanction. New Haven and Hartford CT are also very liberal with active gay communities and statewide laws that are very liberal. (anti discrimination for all employment, hate crimes and civil unions)

Old 05-11-2008, 08:59 PM

24 posts, read 198,455 times
If Providence has such a large gay community it wouldn't be good for me. I have no problem with gays, I'm just not homosexual. Is there another town in Rhode Island better for a straight person. I'm female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island