Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 08:53 AM

512 posts, read 443,325 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I would like to get some thoughts on RI’s current real estate market. From what I’ve observed, for the past couple of months, it’s been hot, hot! Like in most parts of the country, currently houses are selling within days and there is little inventory. I’ve been looking in Westerly, South Kingstown, North Kingstown (although I ruled out NK for now), Middletown, Portsmouth and even Tiverton, in the $600k price range. Things are selling very quickly now and I am wondering if things will slow down anytime soon. I’m not pressed to buy something right away and am willing to wait for the right house in a good location.

Any thoughts on current and foreseeable future real estate market in RI?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 10:38 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,705,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
Hello Everyone,

I would like to get some thoughts on RI’s current real estate market. From what I’ve observed, for the past couple of months, it’s been hot, hot! Like in most parts of the country, currently houses are selling within days and there is little inventory. I’ve been looking in Westerly, South Kingstown, North Kingstown (although I ruled out NK for now), Middletown, Portsmouth and even Tiverton, in the $600k price range. Things are selling very quickly now and I am wondering if things will slow down anytime soon. I’m not pressed to buy something right away and am willing to wait for the right house in a good location.

Any thoughts on current and foreseeable future real estate market in RI?

Thanks!
Your price point is very competitive in the places you're looking. Pandemic buying is uncharted territory. Whether or not the increased demand in Rhode Island will continue, when it's over, is anybody's guess. My guess is; if things don't get much worse, and a vaccine comes along at the end of the year, the RI real estate market will normalize. If circumstances get worse &/or no vaccine arrives until later next year, the current high demand for RI real estate will continue - especially at your price point & premium location interest. Others knowledgeable may give you just the opposite prognostication. Nobody knows.

A side benefit of the way Covid-19 has been handled here in Rhode Island (so far) has made our state a desirable relocation destination. Especially out of the high income cities & suburbs of the northeast where, in comparison, we are still a bargain.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:46 PM

9,298 posts, read 14,916,355 times
Two other things driving the market are very low interest rates as well as a lack of available properties. Low interest rates may change but the lack of properties to buy is not expected to change any time soon due to paucity of new builds. Land is very expensive here.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:50 PM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
YEspecially out of the high income cities & suburbs of the northeast where, in comparison, we are still a bargain.
RI is not a "high income cities & suburbs of the northeast", most of the state is actually quite overpriced in relation to local wages.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
RI is not a "high income cities & suburbs of the northeast", most of the state is actually quite overpriced in relation to local wages.
I repeat: "Especially out of the high income cities & suburbs of the northeast where, in comparison, we are still a bargain." It has nothing to do with local wages or you're opinion we're overpriced. The comparison is to comparable real estate prices around New York, Boston or even Philadelphia. The trend to working at home has made RI real estate even more interesting.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:12 PM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
I repeat: "Especially out of the high income cities & suburbs of the northeast where, in comparison, we are still a bargain." It has nothing to do with local wages or you're opinion we're overpriced. The comparison is to comparable real estate prices around New York, Boston or even Philadelphia. The trend to working at home has made RI real estate even more interesting.
I agree that the working from home trend could change things (which is to be seen for that matter), but RI is simply not comparable to any of the places you mentioned. You know this independent man.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I agree that the working from home trend could change things (which is to be seen for that matter), but RI is simply not comparable to any of the places you mentioned. You know this independent man.
What I know is for the second home market in the northeast, a house in Rhode Island near salt water is at least 30% less than the comparable house within driving distance of the regions major cities. If the work-at-home trend sticks or increases, this Rhode Island advantage will bleed in to the full-time market, especially as it relates to those work based in metro Boston.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:50 PM

4,231 posts, read 1,679,533 times
Extremely limited economic opportunity and crushing taxes put Rhode Island off limits to many of the very people that it so desperately needs. A vicious circle that leaves the state devoid of a prosperous middle class. Socioeconomic stratification with spiralling poverty will continue to be the order of the day.

Old 07-14-2020, 02:02 PM

17,774 posts, read 9,221,778 times
The thing is, though, if you read the MA forum on here, the real estate market is hot there also. And that includes the areas near Boston which realize an enormous premium due to short commuting time to Boston.

Lots of theories, and some sound pretty good, but none really make sense (to me) when everything is taken into consideration.

Old 07-14-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Extremely limited economic opportunity and crushing taxes put Rhode Island off limits to many of the very people that it so desperately needs. A vicious circle that leaves the state devoid of a prosperous middle class. Socioeconomic stratification with spiralling poverty will continue to be the order of the day.
While Rhode Island may be a poster child for some of what you describe, it is by no means an anomaly in America. The middle needs to wake up or they'll be gone. And, it's about way more than any crushing taxes. Billionaires aren't their friend, as much as they'd like to be one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island