Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2021, 04:54 PM

23,670 posts, read 18,782,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Wow... you're really pushing your agenda..... whatever it is????

"Agenda"??? What are you talking about, Holly?

You do realize that back before Seekonk High School was built, kids there attended East Providence High or Tolman (Pawtucket) for high school? The town very much has deep ties to RI. Sorry that offends you?

Old 07-08-2021, 07:49 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,187,664 times
And East Providence and the part of Pawtucket where Tolman is used to be part of Massachusetts. I think all of this predates the establishment of the “Rhode Island” and “Massachusetts” City-Data boards, though.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
This is what we are dealing with.

2 men shot at Billy Taylor Park while with their children, police say

https://turnto10.com/news/local/2-me...ren-police-say

"Further investigation revealed both men were inside Billy Taylor park with their children when a black Audi SUV stopped in front of the park.
Two men jumped out of the SUV wearing dark colored masks and began shooting at both of the victims, police said.
Verdi said the car fled from the scene."

Yesterday (just 2 months after this double shooting), a man was shot in (again) the problematic Billy Taylor Park on CAMP ST. in the Mt. Hope section of the East Side. THIS HAPPENED IN BROAD DAYLIGHT. And (again) like in the last incident, the man was with his children! Being right on CAMP ST. which is heart of the Mt. Hope 'hood, this park is a magnet for trouble. What a shame that a family can't enjoy a nice day in the park with their kids!

Man Shot in Billy Taylor Park on East Side of Providence During Daytime

https://www.golocalprov.com/news/man...during-daytime

"A man was shot at the Billy Taylor Park on the East Side of Providence on Thursday -- while he was with his children. About Incident
According to police, shortly before 11:30 AM, police were dispatched to the intersection of Camp and Pleasant Streets for a report of shots fired.
GET THE LATEST BREAKING NEWS HERE -- SIGN UP FOR GOLOCAL FREE DAILY EBLAST Upon arrival, police were flagged down by multiple witnesses stating to police that they heard several shots fired.
Police spoke with a witness who said she was in her car at the intersection of Hope and Pleasant when she observed an SUV driving at a high rated speed with multiple gunshots on the driver-side door."

Old 07-09-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Police spoke with a witness who said she was in her car at the intersection of Hope and Pleasant when she observed an SUV driving at a high rated speed with multiple gunshots on the driver-side door."

Right around the same time, the police log reports the following (despite the insistence of some here that Hope St. does not typically have ATVs/dirtbikes). It's likely all related. Given that bullet holes were seen in the driver's side door of the SUV, leads one to believe that some sort of shoot out took place between parties. The "off road" vehicle might have been one of them. Also a good chance that the father who was in the park, fired shots back at the SUV. Perhaps he fled on an ATV. But it doesn't sound like "that" victim was on the ATV/dirtbike, goven police first located him at Miriam as he was being treated. I'm sure we'll find out more as things unfold.

"
HOPE ST & CYPRESS ST
2021 Jul 08 11:26:35 AM
Traffic Violation
31-3.2-9
Carrying Loaded/Uncased Firearm in Snowmobile/Recreation Vehicle
KWilliams 2021-00052093
HOPE ST & CYPRESS ST
2021 Jul 08 11:26:35 AM
Assault, Aggravated
11-5-2
FELONY ASSAULT/ DANG. WEAPON OR SUBSTANCE
KWilliams"

Last edited by massnative71; 07-09-2021 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-10-2021, 02:11 PM

4,426 posts, read 3,208,269 times
Quote:
I thought it would be relevant to this forum
You thought wrong.

Many Rhode Islanders go to Foxwoods & Boston too but it doesn't make those places Rhode Island

Old 07-10-2021, 02:33 PM

4,426 posts, read 3,208,269 times
Quote:
During another violent summer week in Providence, the city just saw its 11th homicide where a 19-year-old man was shot at the corner of Ford St. and Dexter St. in the West End while he was walking down the street.

[b]Here is the street view of the location. Note how this is very close to the Long Live brewery, I would advise people avoid that area with all the trouble going on around
Is that an official police recommendation? What qualifies you to make these recommendations? If not, is there a reason you keep targeting this small business, which has had no incidents, ever, and don't even mention other, even closer places that have had problems?

This seems really unfair to a business with no blemishes. If people take your advice, people will lose jobs and the neighborhood will be diminished.. Will that improve the crime rate?

Old 07-10-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Is that an official police recommendation? What qualifies you to make these recommendations? If not, is there a reason you keep targeting this small business, which has had no incidents, ever, and don't even mention other, even closer places that have had problems?

This seems really unfair to a business with no blemishes. If people take your advice, people will lose jobs and the neighborhood will be diminished.. Will that improve the crime rate?

If you want to drive down to Long Live and fill up your growler, by all means nobody is stopping you.

I should have been clearer, as in "do not make a practice of hanging around or walking around that general area". It is a problematic neighborhood.

Old 07-10-2021, 05:49 PM

3,844 posts, read 2,710,988 times
Quote:
I am happy to listen. Your write ups just don't happen to jibe with what I've seen with my own eyes, and the reports of others. I know of people who live in "non East Side" neighborhoods that are still "OK", but the nearby breakdown and disorder is impossible for them to escape. Many have thrown in the towel and left. In fact, there have been posters here in the past who have bailed on the city due to crime and other QOL problems. It shouldn't be that way.

Most of your "safety" claims, are in the form of "I walked down Broad St. at 2am and managed not to get robbed or stabbed" which are not all that convincing. It's pretty clear that you own property in a rough section of the city, and want to maintain a good perception of the area to protect your home value (understandable). Unfortunately, this forum has shifted from a source of useful information to a fluff piece promoting the neighborhoods some posters are invested in.
You may be 'happy' to listen, or 'happy' to get any undeserved attention. That doesn't mean that you process the information though. Or process it rationally.

If we trust your posts (and why should we?), you know 'of' people, but don't know people, who live in the bulk of Providence. For the inquiring reader, that translates to "you don't actually know people in Providence". And it bears noting, for the benefit of the reader, that you have never lived here. With every post, you expose just how unqualified you are to provide advice about our neighborhoods, be it relative safety, cost of ownership, proximity to a coffee shop, whatever. Your opinion is of no merit to anyone but yourself.

I'm sure you miss the bad old days when your slanders about our neighborhoods went unquestioned.

Sure, I own and live in a property in a neighborhood that fearful, bladder-control challenged people, to put it kindly to your listening ears, should not frequent. Of course, that hasn't been a problem for me, nor anyone I know who owns property in this town, nor any of my friends state-wide. I have yet to find a neighborhood in Providence, in Rhode Island for that matter, that qualifies as unsafe. Sure, I base that in part on my own anecdotal experience, but I also base it on data. This site, city-data.com, has plenty of data that can be processed to prove that everywhere in Providence is relatively safe when properly and rationally comparing it to other urban areas nation-wide. Have you even tried to crunch the numbers yourself, or is it beyond you? Do you just like to beat up on people you imagine to be beneath your so-called station in life?

I am not the only person here who has contradicted your dubious, non-resident account of Providence neighborhoods, nor will I be the last.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
You may be 'happy' to listen, or 'happy' to get any undeserved attention. That doesn't mean that you process the information though. Or process it rationally.

If we trust your posts (and why should we?), you know 'of' people, but don't know people, who live in the bulk of Providence. For the inquiring reader, that translates to "you don't actually know people in Providence". And it bears noting, for the benefit of the reader, that you have never lived here. With every post, you expose just how unqualified you are to provide advice about our neighborhoods, be it relative safety, cost of ownership, proximity to a coffee shop, whatever. Your opinion is of no merit to anyone but yourself.

I'm sure you miss the bad old days when your slanders about our neighborhoods went unquestioned.

Sure, I own and live in a property in a neighborhood that fearful, bladder-control challenged people, to put it kindly to your listening ears, should not frequent. Of course, that hasn't been a problem for me, nor anyone I know who owns property in this town, nor any of my friends state-wide. I have yet to find a neighborhood in Providence, in Rhode Island for that matter, that qualifies as unsafe. Sure, I base that in part on my own anecdotal experience, but I also base it on data. This site, city-data.com, has plenty of data that can be processed to prove that everywhere in Providence is relatively safe when properly and rationally comparing it to other urban areas nation-wide. Have you even tried to crunch the numbers yourself, or is it beyond you? Do you just like to beat up on people you imagine to be beneath your so-called station in life?

I am not the only person here who has contradicted your dubious, non-resident account of Providence neighborhoods, nor will I be the last.

Pardon me sir, but this is an anonymous forum and I do NOT feel the need to share any more personal details with you. You are getting seriously creepy. And what exactly are you "contradicting"? That 8 people were recently shot in your neighborhood? But apparently I don't know better because "I" "don't live there" and you "do" (I mean it only ran on every news station for a good week). Bottom line is my posts are based on factual information, while yours are wrapped up in some fantasy denial. FACT is, the city or Providence is more out of control than ever and you prefer to gloss over it rather than have any chance of hurting your precious property values.

Are you going to deny this?

3 teens arrested, 2 rifles seized after pursuit through Providence
https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...gh-providence/
"PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — A police chase through the city of Providence overnight resulted in three juveniles being arrested and two rifles being confiscated.
The two 15-year-olds and a 16-year-old were seen driving a BMW convertible recklessly in the West End, Manton, Chalkstone, and Smith Hill neighborhoods, according to Providence Police Maj. David Lapatin.
The vehicle was observed several times by patrol officers but would speed off once they spotted a police cruiser, Lapatin said.
Around 1 a.m., a Brown University employee told police she had a rifle pointed at her by one or more of the juveniles inside of the vehicle before it fled. While speaking to the woman, officers saw the vehicle on North Main Street and a pursuit began.
According to Lapatin, one of the suspects turned and pointed a rifle at the patrolman involved in the pursuit."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-VYZeDk_EM

Or this (Mt. Hope section of the East Side), near to where a man was recently SHOT IN BROAD DAYLIGHT IN FRONT OF HIS KIDS?

Providence Police Seek Man Who Dragged Ex-Girfriend by Car
https://www.golocalprov.com/news/pro...rfriend-by-car
"Providence Police are seeking a 25-year-old male, who they say dragged his ex-girlfriend by his vehicle on Thursday -- before he fled the scene.
About Incident
On Thursday, police were responding to a traffic accident at 66 Pleasant Street in the Mount Hope section of the East Side shortly after 5 PM, when they observed a disturbance in the roadway in front of 28 Pleasant Street involving a female getting dragged by a vehicle."

Street view:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/28...!4d-71.4080949

OR THIS (Elmwood section of South Providence)?

Providence barbershop robbed at gunpoint
https://turnto10.com/news/local/providence-barbershop-robbed-at-gunpoint
"PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WJAR) — A barbershop was robbed at gunpoint in Providence.
Police said they responded to D'Cache Barber Shop on Elmwood Avenue just after 1 p.m. Friday.
Officers said they talked to the business owner, who said he was robbed about a half an hour earlier.
Through translation, the owner, who was also the victim, said he was sitting in his back office of the shop when his employee left for lunch.
He told investigators he heard the front door open and someone come inside.
When he came out of his office and walked toward the front of his business, he told police he saw a thin man wearing all black clothing with a black ski mask walking toward him.
The owner said he ran back into his office to open his desk drawer to get his Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum revolver.
According to the owner, before he could grab the gun ,the suspect was standing in the doorway with a black revolver of his own. The suspect grabbed the victim's gun out of his drawer.
The owner said the robber took more $1,000 and left the business."

Street view:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/48...!4d-71.4262894

OR THIS (taken from nearby Pawtucket and ditched in the Charles neighborhood)?

Police locate child who was in car reported stolen in Pawtucket

https://turnto10.com/news/local/pawt...-in-stolen-car
"PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WJAR) — Rhode Island State Police said Saturday that officers located a baby boy who was in a stolen car less than an hour after an Amber Alert was issued.
The 7-month-old child was found on Nellie Street in Providence, about a half-mile from where police said the car was stolen on Ann Mary Street in Pawtucket."

Keep on with your "contradictions", buddy. The city is a mess. The trash doesn't get taken out when you bury it in the basement.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:32 PM

(It just does not stop.)

Apparently a shooting has occurred outside the Pasha Hooka Bar (hangout for the Camp St. Boys, an East Side (Mt. Hope) based gang).

Police Investigating Possible Shooting Following Incident Outside Providence Hookah Bar
https://www.golocalprov.com/news/pol...side-providenc

"Providence police are investigating a possible shooting outside of a club on Allens Avenue About Incident
Shortly before midnight on Thursday, police were dispatched to Pasha, located at 840 Allens Avenue, for a report of a person with a gun.
GET THE LATEST BREAKING NEWS HERE -- SIGN UP FOR GOLOCAL FREE DAILY EBLAST Upon arrival, police learned there had been a disturbance outside involving a female waving a gun.
No weapon was found, but police later learned a shooting had taken place."

This is in the Washington Park area of South Providence, in very close proximity to the recent mass shootout on Carolina Ave.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/84...!4d-71.3965794
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island