Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 11:35 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,433,536 times

Advertisements

While the subject is up, I agree that it is hard on seniors there and it would nice to get some tax relief, but it is also something hard to do with the state and it's localities that are already struggling financially as it is.

What is the money going to come from to make up for the loss of local government income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 01:38 PM

2,461 posts, read 2,815,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 24 View Post
http://www.tax.ri.gov/Advisory/ADV%202017-30.pdf

this was passed in October and allows some relief for those on pensions of many types. Add this to the social security relief 65 and older have had now for two years . This makes Rhode Island much friendlier for retirees. Now we just need more of that mid February weather we had that was near 70 for three days.
Friendlier for retirees, but hostile to home owners. The state has to make up the difference somewhere, usually resulting in higher property taxes. Just like all these people celebrating getting rid of the vehicle tax, now the revenue will have to come from somewhere else; guess from where? in higher property taxes. Don't think for a second the state workers, and pensioners will do with any less, oh no!

Old 03-18-2018, 07:01 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,303,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So you're saying that your life decisions made it so you didn't save & invest enough to live in a high cost of living area when you stopped working? Why should a state bail you out?

I see a small house listed in Little Compton for $299K on the Tiverton line south of Four Corners. In 2009 when I was looking at buying in low property tax rate towns in coastal RI and the Massachusetts SouthCoast, there were a number of options I looked at lower than that in the Adamsville part of Little Compton. It's the top of the market. Those prices will be back at the next recession.
I had no choice in the decision my ex husband chose to abandon his family leaving me to support and educate three kids on my own but I digress..and how dare you assume it was poor decisions in my life that caused my dilemma.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:32 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,798,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
I had no choice in the decision my ex husband chose to abandon his family leaving me to support and educate three kids on my own but I digress..and how dare you assume it was poor decisions in my life that caused my dilemma.
Life does throw more bad stuff at some of us than it throws at others. And, often the greatest personal decisions can't overcome simple bad luck. Like you, none of us are perfect at character judgement. Sounds like you're paying a particularly tough penalty by not being able to live in the place of your choice.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:10 AM

9,383 posts, read 15,108,495 times
Getting back to the issue, whether one can afford to retire in RI has more to do with the overall tax burden and cost of housing/living than it does with accusing one individual of "poor life decisions". Life can turn on a dime for anyone- including you.

The actual equation considered in retirement can be quite complex. On the other hand, for some it's easy and clear... I don't want any more winter, therefore I'm leaving for the south or other parts. Or- I'll never leave my grandchildren, etc. Or, I can pay $800 in property tax in Georgia vs. 5k in RI. Recently, one of my friends became an ex-pat in retirement since he feels the US is going to the dogs and he can no longer stand to live in the country.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-19-2018 at 07:13 AM..

Old 03-19-2018, 06:54 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,331,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Friendlier for retirees, but hostile to home owners. The state has to make up the difference somewhere, usually resulting in higher property taxes. Just like all these people celebrating getting rid of the vehicle tax, now the revenue will have to come from somewhere else; guess from where? in higher property taxes. Don't think for a second the state workers, and pensioners will do with any less, oh no!

As a person who has been a state worker, the pay was pretty abysmal. It was already an incredible challenge getting quality applicants. And heck, the benefits stunk compared to my private sector gigs as well.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:31 AM

2,461 posts, read 2,815,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
As a person who has been a state worker, the pay was pretty abysmal. It was already an incredible challenge getting quality applicants. And heck, the benefits stunk compared to my private sector gigs as well.
Well, consider not only do you get a state pension, but also social security, both with healthcare benefits. People will talk about school teachers making low wages, when in reality, while teachers start at around 65k, they work their way up to over 100k, collecting a generous pension. School principals, over 200k

Old 03-19-2018, 11:45 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,331,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Well, consider not only do you get a state pension, but also social security, both with healthcare benefits. People will talk about school teachers making low wages, when in reality, while teachers start at around 65k, they work their way up to over 100k, collecting a generous pension. School principals, over 200k

People with state civil service don't get SS, at least not in any state I've worked (they don't take SS out of the check). And, if like I, they earned SS in private sector jobs, if they get the pension then that SS is reduced (which is idiotic).

And state workers are more than just teachers, and many many start way less than 65k! Plenty don't make that after a lot of years on the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island