Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 10:06 AM

325 posts, read 312,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
There is ZERO chance they demo the superman building. Absolutely zero. This "proposal" is actually a developer's pitch (not a Hasboro idea) and a long shot at that.

It doesn't make sense for a multitude of reasons

1) Cost. The demo cost for a building this large and in this dense of an area is exorbitant. It's an old building too which means hazardous materials (most notably, asbestos) have to be safely removed before demo can begin which is an expensive process.

2) Location. there are a multitude of sites nearby where Hasboro can build to suit. The most obvious one is the surface parking lot diagonally across the street with the "ruins" (110 Westminster - the site of the proposed Oneten Providence). No demo required, similar square footage, and essentially the same location. There are a boat load of other surface lots and vacant parcels near downtown that would suit any HQ style the company desires - from towers to multi-building campuses. No need to demo the tallest tower in town.

3) Public Image. Hasboro is a pillar of the community. They pride themselves in being charitable, and giving back. Demolishing arguably one of Rhode Island's biggest landmarks and replacing it with a generic glass tower goes against everything the company represents in Rhode Island. When you factor in numbers 1 and 2, it's a no-brainer. Why spend more to be a villain demo a landmark when you can spend less to build a tower (if that's what you want) across the street and be the hero company who revitalized a long-stalled project/vacant lot in the heard of the city? If you want a campus-style HQ, why spend more to be a villain and raze a landmark tower when you can spend less and build a flagship campus on the 195 land and be known as the company who breathed life into Providence's "Innovation & Design" district? It doesn't make sense from a cost or a PR standpoint to destroy the tower.

4) This is debatable given some of RI's history with tax breaks and incentives, but Hasboro is far more likely to get incentives and tax breaks if they - A) rehab the tower and use it for an HQ, B) build a new tower at the 110 Westminster site (again, where OneTen Providence was slated to go before the recession) or another vacant parcel, or C) build a campus on the 195 land - than they ever would for destroying a historic building.
You're probably right though. Those glass towers are killing Boston. How long before you can add "Providence" to that morose list on this forum of places that ain't here anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 11:57 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,800,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetoid View Post
You're probably right though. Those glass towers are killing Boston. How long before you can add "Providence" to that morose list on this forum of places that ain't here anymore?
Providence died along time ago. It continues to reek of corruption, mismanagement, over spending, spending in the wrong areas, misappropriating tax dollars, etc. If Providence is to change, then cleaning up Providence with a new face lift is the perfect start.

If I'm not mistaken Irfox, wasn't it you who once insisted that the old JC Penney anchor in Providence Place mall would acquire a new tenant with no problem? Well, I didn't agree, and now, low and behold, that entire anchor location has been imploded for nothing more than parking. I would not put the chance of the superman building being demolished at "zero".

Old 12-18-2017, 12:19 PM

13,018 posts, read 22,203,750 times
Quote:
Yes and no. I don't think they're "killing" Boston yet. In fact, I'd argue that we haven't reached critical mass up here yet. Where most of them are going up, in the Seaport, they're replacing empty surface parking lots. The tallest one, The Four Seasons (currently under construction), replaced a glass lot. Millenium Tower on the original Filene's site in Downtown Crossing was a mixed blessing - it preserved the original Burnham Building while removing the "newer" 1950s portion and replacing it with the tower entrance and restaurant/retail space (before, after). The downside is that we lost the Jones, McDuffee, and Stratton Building as part of the development. Net gain overall, but tough to swallow the loss of the latter. Here's the intersection of Franklin and Washington today.

But your point is taken, and I hope Providence advocates for the protection of historic buildings even if it's a low likelihood that they will be razed. It's bad when we start tolerating the destruction of historic buildings for new (generic) ones. Especially when there are more than adequate alternatives.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:44 PM

13,018 posts, read 22,203,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Providence died along time ago. It continues to reek of corruption, mismanagement, over spending, spending in the wrong areas, misappropriating tax dollars, etc. If Providence is to change, then cleaning up Providence with a new face lift is the perfect start.

If I'm not mistaken Irfox, wasn't it you who once insisted that the old JC Penney anchor in Providence Place mall would acquire a new tenant with no problem? Well, I didn't agree, and now, low and behold, that entire anchor location has been imploded for nothing more than parking. I would not put the chance of the superman building being demolished at "zero".
You are not mistaken. There was a deal in place that fell through and the management company decided to go for more parking instead of trying to draw a new tenant (and I still think they would have if they waited a bit longer). I can admit I was wrong though. This is completely different though. This has nothing to do with Hasboro aside from the fact that they happen to be the company the developer is trying to woo with a glossy rendering. I'd say there was a chance if Hasboro put it out there themselves as a proposal, but they didn't and it doesn't seem to fit what they're looking for (a campus). Nor have I seen any indication that they have any interest in working with this developer on this site. It's a sales pitch and nothing more. And even IF Hasboro goes for it - which I doubt they would - the proposal would still have to clear a ton of major hurdles (enough to turn a prospective developer away) including a permitting process and public comment period in which progress on demo/construction would be dragged out for a long period of time as is often the case when a beloved building is on the slate for demolition. Many times they're successful. I'm sure there's already a push, but there's probably even more momentum now to get this registered on the National Register of Historic Places.

Obviously historic buildings can be and are demolished for new construction. But it's a headache for developers - enough to be a turnoff if the resistance looks like it might be strong enough. In this case, it will be. And preservationists can delay these demolitions and projects to the point that developers give up. It's frustrating how long the building has been vacant, but until it starts being a real liability (i.e. crumbling apart, unoccupiable, etc.), it's going to be extremely difficult to push a demolition of it through. And that's assuming a company is dumb enough to endorse the destruction of such a significant landmark. It's hard to picture Hasboro is that company.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:58 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,751,034 times
ZERO CHANCE OF DEMOLITION IS CORRECT! The PVD/RI preservation community will put up a monumental fight, if it is seriously proposed to demolish the Superman Building. In many respects it is the most important signature historic building in the state. Arguably, no less important to Providence than the Space Needle is to Seattle or the Empire State Building is to NYC. Lose it and nothing historic can be considered safe.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Yes and no. I don't think they're "killing" Boston yet. In fact, I'd argue that we haven't reached critical mass up here yet. Where most of them are going up, in the Seaport, they're replacing empty surface parking lots. The tallest one, The Four Seasons (currently under construction), replaced a glass lot. Millenium Tower on the original Filene's site in Downtown Crossing was a mixed blessing - it preserved the original Burnham Building while removing the "newer" 1950s portion and replacing it with the tower entrance and restaurant/retail space (before, after). The downside is that we lost the Jones, McDuffee, and Stratton Building as part of the development. Net gain overall, but tough to swallow the loss of the latter. Here's the intersection of Franklin and Washington today.

But your point is taken, and I hope Providence advocates for the protection of historic buildings even if it's a low likelihood that they will be razed. It's bad when we start tolerating the destruction of historic buildings for new (generic) ones. Especially when there are more than adequate alternatives.
Sorry, my sarcasm didn't seem to show through. Boston's doing just fine with it's glass towers. I'm a HUGE fan of glass towers. Especially the ones on the tax rolls. And the ones with employees inside.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
ZERO CHANCE OF DEMOLITION IS CORRECT! The PVD/RI preservation community will put up a monumental fight, if it is seriously proposed to demolish the Superman Building. In many respects it is the most important signature historic building in the state. Arguably, no less important to Providence than the Space Needle is to Seattle or the Empire State Building is to NYC. Lose it and nothing historic can be considered safe.
An obvious question is this: what does it say about the city/state when it's most significant building has been vacant for 5 years? Rhode Islanders in general would be well served by forgetting about the past and concentrating on the future. I'd swing the wrecking ball myself for an infusion of jobs and tax dollars. Very hard to fathom the pervasive mindset of apathy and defeatism. You folks better get your heads out of the sand. We're in a 50 state race and getting our lunch handed to us. Forget about the damn past and places that ain't here anymore, and start working on a damn future. Good lord, you're a strange lot!

Old 12-19-2017, 04:33 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,751,034 times
Quote:
An obvious question is this: what does it say about the city/state when it's most significant building has been vacant for 5 years? Rhode Islanders in general would be well served by forgetting about the past and concentrating on the future. I'd swing the wrecking ball myself for an infusion of jobs and tax dollars. Very hard to fathom the pervasive mindset of apathy and defeatism. You folks better get your heads out of the sand. We're in a 50 state race and getting our lunch handed to us. Forget about the damn past and places that ain't here anymore, and start working on a damn future. Good lord, you're a strange lot!
Agree about the 50 state race. However, one of RI's most important assets is its Sense of Place. Whether it's the stunningly beautiful coastline, the massive historic building fabric or what should be its tiny manageable size. To destroy any of this for some short term "Anywhere America" idea of progress would be a huge mistake. Much is wrong with the state, but the preservation of its unique assets isn't amongst the problems.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:03 AM

96 posts, read 70,853 times
I agree that the "proposal" to demo at a huge cost only to rebuild, when there are likely suitable sites already in existence for similar development at much lower cost seems pipe dream at best. Like I mentioned, when I spoke to an employee they indicated the likely desire for a campus type HQ if they were to consolidate, unlikely they would get that in one high rise.

I'm all for preserving historic iconic buildings, and hope that someone can put the money in to rehab the superman building into something useful. However, I don't see why all the opposition to more modern looking buildings is. Sure it's different than what we presently see in the skyline. However, remember, that in their day these Art Deco type buildings were different. I'd much rather see a modern glass building as opposed to a boring one financial plaza type building.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:42 AM

9,362 posts, read 15,002,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiver916 View Post
I agree that the "proposal" to demo at a huge cost only to rebuild, when there are likely suitable sites already in existence for similar development at much lower cost seems pipe dream at best. Like I mentioned, when I spoke to an employee they indicated the likely desire for a campus type HQ if they were to consolidate, unlikely they would get that in one high rise.

I'm all for preserving historic iconic buildings, and hope that someone can put the money in to rehab the superman building into something useful. However, I don't see why all the opposition to more modern looking buildings is. Sure it's different than what we presently see in the skyline. However, remember, that in their day these Art Deco type buildings were different. I'd much rather see a modern glass building as opposed to a boring one financial plaza type building.
Don't find the Superman design "boring". The exterior plaza is the modern part- it was added much later.
I don't think it's general opposition to the new in all cases. Providence is growing and changing and evolving and has changed a lot in the last 30 years. There are places for more modern buildings, although it could be argued that "modern" hasn't changed much since Bauhaus and Gropius and the glass cubes going in today are all the same.

I do not like to see a historic block marred with a jarring contrasting building. Now I know very well that that was the mantra in architectural school- "don't make the new building look like the old even when it's attached"- see the orange appendage they added to the RISD museum. But I think that is and was bunk and that new buildings can be made to fit smoothly into old neighborhoods- and we have done that in many instances in downtown Providence. Just look at the newer buildings that don't stick out like a sore thumb.

And no, we're not all against growth and change, just want to get it right the first time, and not go for growth for growth's sake. Huge mistake- anybody go to Hartford's downtown lately? And look what happened to poor Worcester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island