Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 09:32 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,074,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Meh, more like people want "everyone else" to not own a car.

MTV Says: Millennials Love Their Cars! — Auto Trends Magazine

Americans still love their automobiles, for better or worse.
what a self serving survey. Of course 80 % love ? their vehicles as they have no choice but to own one. Yes, they love to pay $500 a month for their ownership or lease and their insurance! It is the high density urban areas in the Northeast, Chicago and Northwest that they move to which allows them not to choose to have a vehicle. Mass transit, and uber or lyft, fills their needs and more millennials are moving to these urban cores. If you are in Texas or California (outside of Sanfran) what choice do you have but to own a vehicle. But those urban areas are slowly moving toward more transit use. Maybe there is some hope for Atlanta also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 07:12 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,670,429 times
Having that car in my driveway represents freedom. There are so many more reasons to own a car than being dependent on other sources for that freedom.

Independence is key.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:30 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,213,861 times
Like religion, freedom of car should also include freedom from car if one so chooses. No one says you can't drive downtown, but if you don't want to at least the option is there. Instead, the new campus is 1.6 miles from the nearest bus stop, with no plans that I know of to extend service to Citizens.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:00 PM

23,972 posts, read 19,262,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
what a self serving survey. Of course 80 % love ? their vehicles as they have no choice but to own one. Yes, they love to pay $500 a month for their ownership or lease and their insurance! It is the high density urban areas in the Northeast, Chicago and Northwest that they move to which allows them not to choose to have a vehicle. Mass transit, and uber or lyft, fills their needs and more millennials are moving to these urban cores. If you are in Texas or California (outside of Sanfran) what choice do you have but to own a vehicle. But those urban areas are slowly moving toward more transit use. Maybe there is some hope for Atlanta also.
But what about all the people living in dense urban areas that forgo having a vehicle not because they don't want one, but due to the economics and other hassles not making sense? I also know plenty of people who ride mass transit to their job in Boston, only because their employer doesn't offer parking. If they could easily drive to work and not have to put up with the MBTA especially in the middle of the winter, they would so in a heartbeat. Most do own a vehicle anyway, because life would just be too restricted without one.

IDK perhaps Citizens made a mistake, but I would guess they know their employees and did their research beforehand. RI is not Boston, very few professional people ride the bus.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:10 PM

6,466 posts, read 5,059,703 times
What a shame, another iconic structure bits the dust to be replaced by a piece of modern junk that you could find anywhere.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:29 PM

325 posts, read 313,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
What a shame, another iconic structure bits the dust to be replaced by a piece of modern junk that you could find anywhere.
When you describe "modern junk", do you mean "taxpaying structure"?

Old 01-29-2018, 08:44 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,213,861 times
As if anything would be built without decades of tax abatement...

Old 01-30-2018, 07:49 AM

13,125 posts, read 22,355,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Having that car in my driveway represents freedom. There are so many more reasons to own a car than being dependent on other sources for that freedom.

Independence is key.
I guess it depends on the individual how they define "independence." I live in Somerville, MA. My neighbor doesn't own a car and walks 10 minutes to his office. When he wants to get away, he rents one. It's far less expensive than "owning" a car (because let's face it... if you lease or are still financing, you don't technically own the car) and his mobility isn't restricted. You could argue that he's more free because he's not making car payments, insurance payments, repairs, fuel, registration fees, etc.

On the other hand, there are plenty of people all across the region who are scrambling to make ends meet to pay for a car and the associated costs just so they can get from home to work. That's not freedom either. That's the opposite of freedom; it's dependence and a financial burden. If you have to have something to get by, it sure is funny to call it a symbol of independence and freedom.

FWIW, I live in an urban area and commute by subway to work. I own a car too. But I've finally reached a point where I'm not struggling to stay afloat and I can afford my car payment and the associated costs. But it sure is nice not to have to use it.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:01 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,783,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I guess it depends on the individual how they define "independence." I live in Somerville, MA. My neighbor doesn't own a car and walks 10 minutes to his office. When he wants to get away, he rents one. It's far less expensive than "owning" a car (because let's face it... if you lease or are still financing, you don't technically own the car) and his mobility isn't restricted. You could argue that he's more free because he's not making car payments, insurance payments, repairs, fuel, registration fees, etc.

On the other hand, there are plenty of people all across the region who are scrambling to make ends meet to pay for a car and the associated costs just so they can get from home to work. That's not freedom either. That's the opposite of freedom; it's dependence and a financial burden. If you have to have something to get by, it sure is funny to call it a symbol of independence and freedom.

FWIW, I live in an urban area and commute by subway to work. I own a car too. But I've finally reached a point where I'm not struggling to stay afloat and I can afford my car payment and the associated costs. But it sure is nice not to have to use it.
You're the smart one. Many of us choose to live in areas where public transportation or renting a car isn't a viable option. We have to have a car to leave the house.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:27 AM

325 posts, read 313,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
As if anything would be built without decades of tax abatement...
That's the way the game is played. And when you're on a last-place team, it's the only way the game CAN be played.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island