Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 01:05 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,138,234 times

Advertisements

I'm not familiar with that place, but that's a damn nice housing project compared to where I've lived! You should try seeing what we had in Chicago!

All this tells me is that RI projects are really fancy. I have no idea what danger has to do with the quality of the housing stock. All I've learned from my time in Providence is that there really aren't any dangerous areas. I walk all over the South side to visit friends frequently, it's a fine urban area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 01:22 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,971,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Simply put, they look like housing projects. I wouldn't be surprised if they originally were.
They were originally Navy Housing. Definitely not luxury housing, just standard apartments.

See the photo below. I bet you consider those to be projects as well. These are condos right up the street on Bellevue avenue.

If the projects in Providence are your yardstick, then you have a skewed view of projects. Maybe check out some real projects in places like New York, Chicago or even Boston.
Attached Thumbnails
Newport's Ocean's Way Condos-picture-uh-cc865b87657f847b64851fcb9185bbe2-ps-5f27b927a8de573ce4d7884ce0b59fd9.jpg  

Old 02-14-2018, 02:14 PM

18,170 posts, read 9,486,231 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIva4HagAuc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRnesKR4yzA

Old 02-14-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
See the photo below. I bet you consider those to be projects as well. These are condos right up the street on Bellevue avenue.
No, not all.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:50 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,138,234 times

What does the people living in them have to do with what the housing looks like? I'm lost.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
No, not all.
Whats different?

Old 02-14-2018, 03:46 PM

9,364 posts, read 15,004,759 times
It couldn't be because they are in Newport could it? Any housing in Newport is valuable.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:26 PM

My initial comment in this thread was "I always thought those were housing projects." Two members (timberline742 and New Englander) apparently disagreed while saying "they don't look anything like them to me" and "I am not sure what may have caused you to have that impression."

Puzzled by those responses, I posted images of the Ocean's Way condos in Newport along with images of the Chad Brown housing projects in Providence. The images clearly show that they look remarkably similar. No reasonable person would dispute that.

I guess the thread went a bit off topic at that point. Now we seem to be discussing which cities have the worst housing projects, whether or not Providence has dangerous areas, and who knows what else.

I'm confused too.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
All I've learned from my time in Providence is that there really aren't any dangerous areas. I walk all over the South side to visit friends frequently
Out of curiosity, where in South Providence are you walking?

Old 02-14-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
My initial comment in this thread was "I always thought those were housing projects." Two members (timberline742 and New Englander) apparently disagreed while saying "they don't look anything like them to me" and "I am not sure what may have caused you to have that impression."

Puzzled by those responses, I posted images of the Ocean's Way condos in Newport along with images of the Chad Brown housing projects in Providence. The images clearly show that they look remarkably similar. No reasonable person would dispute that.

I guess the thread went a bit off topic at that point. Now we seem to be discussing which cities have the worst housing projects, whether or not Providence has dangerous areas, and who knows what else.

I'm confused too.
I believe the only similarities between the housing projects in Providence and Oceans Way is that they are garden style brick apartments. If that is the yardstick (in your view) to classify an entire housing style as the"projects" then it is your limited worldview not ours. This brick garden style apartments exist from Boston to New York and beyond, if projects in Providence seem to replicate that style does not make the the brick garden style as the projects simply because it reminded you as such.

Furthermore your speculation that Oceans Way may have been projects in the past, was similarly off the mark.

In sum, you can feel free to classify them as projects, however I take issue with the disinformation that you are spreading in a public forum. Close to the beach, Thames St, and the Mansions on Bellevue - Ocean's Way is well located and offers a housing option at a reasonable price for Newport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island