Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 09:35 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,798,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
Add Princeton Ave into that list. Arch Street also had some impressive homes. One of the things that changed the lower Elmwood neighborhood was the widening of Elmwood Ave in 1936. Elmwood was lined with beautiful Elms, but were cut down to widen the beautiful blvd because of the increase of auto traffic. The trolley had their own row on each side of the street between the sidewalk and curb. As the beauty of the street lessened the wealthy moved from lower Elmwood. But upper Elmwood was being built up. Warrington Ave and some other side streets became the home to middle class. This continued until the early 70's. But the burniing and redevelopment of lower South Providence in the late 60's sealed the fate of the area.
Yes, I absolutely forgot Princeton Avenue in Elmwood. While not as wide, or as grand of architecture, Princeton rivaled Adelaide Avenue as one of the most prestigious streets in Providence. It suffered the same fate as the others, boxed in by ordinary middle class single family houses and multi-family deckers on either side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 10:31 AM

24,001 posts, read 19,393,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
They have done the research that shows they would do better in the city, because their base is younger and that's where they are. The supporters boards always have posts from people looking for rides. Heck, I believe I read that the president of the Midnight Riders doesn't have a car and has to bum rides. The train only runs when the Pats play.
Well then maybe the MBTA should run trial trains for the Revs games instead of the Pats. I mean, who rides the train to the football game? I always thought that was a ridiculous waste.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:37 AM

24,001 posts, read 19,393,660 times
Quote:
Right. I don't know why people are assuming 1, that they need a headquarters at all or 2, that it needs to be in Providence instead of Boston.

The cap center is one of their smallest offices in the state. Please understand that most of those floors aren't Citizens Bank; I think they lease three of the 13. Why they need to move into a 28 floor aged behemoth?
I assume the plan would be to consolidate some of the other offices like East Providence? Why there instead of Boston, or why do it at all? I guess if they can get brand new digs in a glitzy high rise courtesy of the RI (and probably Providence too) taxpayers.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:01 PM

4,513 posts, read 3,315,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I assume the plan would be to consolidate some of the other offices like East Providence? Why there instead of Boston, or why do it at all? I guess if they can get brand new digs in a glitzy high rise courtesy of the RI (and probably Providence too) taxpayers.
It's just a GoLocal.Prov rumor at this point. They couldn't consolidate all of their operations centers there, nor would they want to.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:04 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,078,358 times
Quote:
Well then maybe the MBTA should run trial trains for the Revs games instead of the Pats. I mean, who rides the train to the football game? I always thought that was a ridiculous waste.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

hopefully you can enjoy these. They have been running since the stadium was first built in 1972. The numbers constantly increase each year and as you can see? there is more than one car from both Boston or Providence.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:05 PM

4,513 posts, read 3,315,869 times
Quote:
I'm sure they wouldn't do it if it wasn't worth it, and $15 for the train sure beats paying $40 for parking and dealing with Rte 1 traffic.

I found this about ridership: In 2011, 20,507 fans had taken the train to Gillette Stadium during the regular season, with another 2,000 or more predicted for a playoff game.

That's actually a huge number for a one run train and it was going up every year. They said the train configuration dwarfs the normal commuter run. I think an awful lot of people don't even know it exists so it could do even better.

Last edited by sandsonik; 12-21-2014 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: To add information

Old 12-21-2014, 04:47 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,491,309 times
Quote:

If I knew then what I know now about how much I would pay out in my life for auto insurance, car payments, car maintenance, parking fees, and skyrocketing, unreliable gas prices, I think I would have looked at living in a city with good transit and getting a zip car when absolutely necessary.
Of course, it's even easier these days with the internet meaning you don't have to trek all over the place to go shopping or post mail, etc.

I still think Providence has a way to go until it becomes that example of a city where good transit makes a car unnecessary, especially as compared to Boston.
I know dozens and dozens of people who live productive lives and don't miss out on much of anything, and do not own an automobile. Today, not 50 years ago.

Th bus system is flawed, but workable. Uber has changed our relationship with fee-based car service. And as you say, Zip Car. Plus Amtrak and MBTA.

I have never spent one damned dime on oil, gasoline, insurance, repairs. I have never waited at Jiffy Lube or wherever to get a car's oil changed. Never changed a spare tire in freezing winter. And I've done quite fine. And many others have done fine. And it's so liberating!

Old 12-21-2014, 05:04 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,701,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
I know dozens and dozens of people who live productive lives and don't miss out on much of anything, and do not own an automobile. Today, not 50 years ago.

Th bus system is flawed, but workable. Uber has changed our relationship with fee-based car service. And as you say, Zip Car. Plus Amtrak and MBTA.

I have never spent one damned dime on oil, gasoline, insurance, repairs. I have never waited at Jiffy Lube or wherever to get a car's oil changed. Never changed a spare tire in freezing winter. And I've done quite fine. And many others have done fine. And it's so liberating!

Maybe so, but you cannot expect people with families to be living your lifestyle. And they are the majority of the population. And they are liberated and have productive and happy lifestyles.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:28 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,491,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Maybe so, but you cannot expect people with families to be living your lifestyle. And they are the majority of the population. And they are liberated and have productive and happy lifestyles.
Yes, you are right. I cannot imagine having kids and not having a car. And even great public transport like NYC really doesn't well-serve Moms with stroller and two young kids. So you are 100% right: it's not for everyone, but it does work for many and can work for many, many more.

Do you think that when I made that conscious decision to sign "x" on membership in the Gay Agenda at the tender age of three, and to devote my life to Satan and be gay, that I did it because I way born gay? NO Suh! I did it because I was looking Long War and Big Picture: by making this conscious choice at age three, I'd have a life-time insurance policy of Plausible Deniability -- I wouldn't, in later years, be forced to be an enviro-hypocrite by having kids and needing a car! Made things So Much Simpler, and it seemed like a wise decision at the time. Still does.

Like many things, it's a lifestyle choice and also of personal ethos. I don't want the death of polar bears on my conscience, just because I was too lazy to walk and instead drove down, say, Elmwood Ave. for decades! Non-essential driving should bring shame to car owners. Shame! Shame on all of you! And when the body of a climate-eradicated polar bear washes up at Watch Hill, you'll have only yourselves to blame.

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 12-21-2014 at 05:53 PM..

Old 12-21-2014, 08:26 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,701,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Yes, you are right. I cannot imagine having kids and not having a car. And even great public transport like NYC really doesn't well-serve Moms with stroller and two young kids. So you are 100% right: it's not for everyone, but it does work for many and can work for many, many more.

Do you think that when I made that conscious decision to sign "x" on membership in the Gay Agenda at the tender age of three, and to devote my life to Satan and be gay, that I did it because I way born gay? NO Suh! I did it because I was looking Long War and Big Picture: by making this conscious choice at age three, I'd have a life-time insurance policy of Plausible Deniability -- I wouldn't, in later years, be forced to be an enviro-hypocrite by having kids and needing a car! Made things So Much Simpler, and it seemed like a wise decision at the time. Still does.

Like many things, it's a lifestyle choice and also of personal ethos. I don't want the death of polar bears on my conscience, just because I was too lazy to walk and instead drove down, say, Elmwood Ave. for decades! Non-essential driving should bring shame to car owners. Shame! Shame on all of you! And when the body of a climate-eradicated polar bear washes up at Watch Hill, you'll have only yourselves to blame.

^^ totally ridiculous.

My response has absolutely nothingto do with gays or being gay! It has to do with your post relative to living without automobiles, which is not the preference of most people; gay, straight, or anything else. People in general need automobiles as well as many other forms of transportation.

There is no public transportation in any state that can serve the needs of the general population for day to day living, shopping, working, entertainment, etcetera, in order to lead productive lives.

So you choose to be without a car, big deal. No one is interested your constant gay carping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island