Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 03:43 PM

3 posts, read 4,976 times

Advertisements

My husband is expecting an offer from a company in Franklin, MA and doesn't want to move back to MA (long story but 7 moves in 2 yrs, 2 within MA) as it left a bad taste in his mouth. Our compromise is RI. Unfortunately, the Great Recession has left us with little money (that and high child support for another 7years).

I don't want to spend more than $200k for a house because I want to start to get back on our feet (looking for a 3/2). We are used to upper middle class living. I'm happy to do without shopping, golf, night life, etc...but I am not happy to do without safety. I homeschool our two girls ages 6and 15. Safety (and a decent library if possible) are my priority. Rural is ok. I like the woods.

He is willing to commute up to 45 minutes. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 06:30 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,663,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryHerrington View Post
My husband is expecting an offer from a company in Franklin, MA and doesn't want to move back to MA (long story but 7 moves in 2 yrs, 2 within MA) as it left a bad taste in his mouth. Our compromise is RI. Unfortunately, the Great Recession has left us with little money (that and high child support for another 7years).

I don't want to spend more than $200k for a house because I want to start to get back on our feet (looking for a 3/2). We are used to upper middle class living. I'm happy to do without shopping, golf, night life, etc...but I am not happy to do without safety. I homeschool our two girls ages 6and 15. Safety (and a decent library if possible) are my priority. Rural is ok. I like the woods.

He is willing to commute up to 45 minutes. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Northern RI homes are on the pricey side, but you should be able to find a 3 BR 1 or 1.5 bath in that range. Cumberland, Lincoln, North Smithfield, Smithfield. I hope the company is paying your relocation expenses after 7 moves in 2 years! There are some very nice towns around Franklin, and Franklin itself is very family oriented, lovely town. As is Wrentham, Milford, possibly Bellingham. May you should rent ? if this turns out to be a temporary relocation. You're looking at $1500+ per mo. rent for a 3BR in those areas. But you will get more country atmosphere and excellent schools in those areas.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:05 PM

10,085 posts, read 15,837,608 times
Except for Milford, you would pay more than 1500 in Mass.

Cumberland is a good suggestion, stay away from Woonsocket.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:30 PM

4,491 posts, read 3,289,440 times
That's a tough budget. It's good you're looking in RI because you won't find a 3/2 in Franklin for under 200k. It's going to be a tough find in northern RI as well. To stay under 200k, you may have to compromise on town or 2 bathrooms.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:39 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,834,668 times
North Providence and Pawtucket may fit the bill.. but I agree, that's a tough budget for SE Mass or Northern RI.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:47 AM

48,442 posts, read 22,118,733 times
I have a particular fondness for the village of Harrisville, in the town of Burriville. I lived there many years ago.....I haven't ever gone back and don't know any current information.....other than a quick search I just did of real estate on line. I think you might find something that fills the bill. Good Luck.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryHerrington View Post

Mary, don't even consider North Prov. or Pawtucket for your ages 6 and 15 yr. old girls. Even if you have to pay $220K or so, stay in northern RI or over "the border" in lower MA. Another area you might check is Chepachet, and Burrillville. Get on www.Realtor.com and www.RILiving.com and put in your criteria for Cumberland or Lincoln first. There are older developments and subdivisions that are in that price range. There has not been a lot of new construction in several years in that price range mainly because it's built up and land prices are high and zoning has increased the size of lots. Look in zip Cumberland 02864, Lincoln 02865, No.Smithfield 02896 for starters. And yes, don't even consider Woonsocket pls. I will say though that you will find higher property taxes in RI than MA. A $220K house will be around $2,500 to $3,000 a year.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:01 AM

Mary,

I just did a quick search for you on RI Living Dot com and this is what came up. 28 properties, mostly in Cumberland and Lincoln. If you click on "Description", then "features & amenities" within the listing sheets you will find the taxes. The very first one in No. Smithfield is in a very nice neighborhood.

Riliving

Best wishes to you.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,976 times
Thank you everyone! I just want to get back on our feet! We're currently paying $2500 a month for a 1300 sqf apartment in lower Fairfield County, CT (about 60 miles from NYC). I DO NOT want to continue to do so. It is killing us! We've had the million dollar mortgage before, lost $600k on the house when we sold it. Can you say gasping for breath? Bought in '07, sold in '10. Yep, painful. We also have 7 more years left before we are done with child support/college payments for his 2 kids. Sooo..with that being the case, I want to make sure we don't go into debt, but rather survive.

I do NOT want anything sleezy/scary/crime riddled. I'll be honest, we have no street smarts. My family and I have always lived in affluent towns and although I can't stand the snottiness of them, I do like the safety of them.

IF the job offer comes through, we have some serious debating to do. Moving to NC means he won't be able to see his son in Albany (age 16) b/c we won't be able to afford for him to fly back and forth. Living in RI allows for that PLUS it allows for me to start up my gluten-free/dairy-free baking business again without the need for all the separate kitchens, etc. and a way to bring in extra money while still being at home.

As for the MA option, hubby doesn't ever want to live in MA again. We lived in Quincy (south of Boston) and Halifax (north of Plymouth) for 18 months. He hated it with a passion. Wasn't happy there and doesn't want to go back to what was unhappy in his mind.

IF the offer comes through (been here 14x before in the past 13 months) we'll take a trip up there and look around. We're only 2-2.5 hrs away. Not a big deal. Happen to love the State Line Diner on Rt 6. Ate there a few times while moving back and forth from MA to CT (up and back!).

Once again, thank you!!!!

Old 11-29-2013, 05:46 PM

48,442 posts, read 22,118,733 times
Good Luck......and happy landings. Once again I say that the town of Burriville and especially the village of Harrisville....has magic memories for me. I think it still may fill the bill for you. I hope you check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island