Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 05:10 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,839,216 times

Advertisements

I admit to having trouble aging gracefully. I have a very young mind and spirit and do not look my age, but my body is starting to deteriorate, and I am going through some medical issues and a lot of pain. The pain and the limitations my condition has put on me is what's causing my somewhat depressed attitude.

I have some friends with MS, going blind from diabetes and one with a rare autoimmune disease who have gone through hell, yet they are courageous and just carry on. I am trying to seek inspiration from them and work on my attitude (which is everything). I think, perhaps, this is all still kind of new to me, and I haven't accepted yet that I can only manage my physical problems, but I can't make them disappear. I pray that I change my attitude and my approach, or I am going to turn into a miserable old lady no one will want to be around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 04:40 PM

183 posts, read 352,625 times
Attitude is the key. I have seen 50 year olds that act like their grave is already dug. They are bitter, angry and depressed. I have seen 90 year olds that laugh and joke and tell stories (sometimes over and over and over) and seem to enjoy just being alive. Life is about making out of it what you can, not regreting what you can't or did not experience. I mean look at the 30 year olds in wheel chairs that go skiing, play basketball and have a full life. It might be harder to overcome the challenges of aging as we get older and less able to adapt, but if you make a habit out of it early and your outlook is good, aging well will likely follow.

As far as the stuff about keeping up with the times, that's suspect. My dad, for instance, doesn't know how to use a computer. He doesn't want to know. He is very old fashioned and has antiquated ideas about life. He is plenty happy. He doesn't begrudge the present or resent that things have changed, he just doesn't want to partipate on many levels.

Honestly, just accepting that you will get old and be diminished in some ways, while being blessed with other advantages like wisdom, experience, etc. is more than half the battle. Those of us that can't accept that are more than likely doomed to become frustrated and bitter. Nobody likes getting old, but if you accept and embrace it you will age with grace.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:20 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,143,475 times
I feel the greatest thing that those that grow old gracefully have is the attitude that growing old is preferable to not growing any older!

some people have never come to that realisation and make themselves and those around them miserable

Old 04-08-2010, 08:26 PM

183 posts, read 352,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
I feel the greatest thing that those that grow old gracefully have is the attitude that growing old is preferable to not growing any older!
Exactly!!

Old 04-13-2010, 03:42 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,945,763 times
There is an interesting thread on the "Great Debates" forum which relates to this one. It's called "Old People, Why So Rude?" Some posters disagreed with the basic premise of the OP, while others agreed, giving various explanations. In any case, one poster brought up a subject which could be an answer here: medication.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:22 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,244,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post

some people have never come to that realisation and make themselves and those around them miserable
Boy! Is that it in a nutshell.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:37 PM

4 posts, read 6,862 times
I would say the difference is diet, exercise and attitude.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:11 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,388,120 times
I accept the fact I cant do the things I used to do,and respect those who can still do those things.
some people get upset because they watch younger people doing things that they can no longer do.
I just think (to myself) oh if you only could have seen me when I was young!!! But I am not so I enjoy the memories rather than get upset over things that I cant change.
any day my pulse is beating is a great day!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement