Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:03 PM

3 posts, read 6,525 times

Advertisements

How old are you? how much do you make a year? how much do you save a month? (separate 401k and cash)

I thought it might be interesting to folks to see a comparison of earned money and saved money.

Since this is pretty discrete, I think people can feel comfortable being more honest than usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 12:14 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,151,588 times
Would that be better posted in the personal finance forums than retirement?

Old 07-17-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Wold that be bet5ter posted in the personal finance forums than retirement?
sorry. maybe.
can someone please either delete this whole thing or move it to the appropriate forum?

thank you.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:18 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,292,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkingman View Post
How old are you? how much do you make a year? how much do you save a month? (separate 401k and cash)

I thought it might be interesting to folks to see a comparison of earned money and saved money.

Since this is pretty discrete, I think people can feel comfortable being more honest than usual.
I think this is a foolish set of questions to answer in a public forum. So, I shall not. I do not consider any public forum to be "discrete."

Even if folks are willing to tell such personal information, the answers would not be very illuminating since the cost of living varies wildly across the nation. What one makes and saves in San Francisco or New York City is not germane to what one may make in the middle of Missouri.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I think this is a foolish set of questions to answer in a public forum. So, I shall not. I do not consider any public forum to be "discrete."

Even if folks are willing to tell such personal information, the answers would not be very illuminating since the cost of living varies wildly across the nation. What one makes and saves in San Francisco or New York City is not germane to what one may make in the middle of Missouri.
wow! talk about being paranoid! what do you think will happen? nobody is going to track you down!
people in the US are so scared! about everything! have you noticed that? stop being so afraid thinking that someone's gonna getcha!!!!

Old 07-17-2009, 03:01 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,292,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkingman View Post
wow! talk about being paranoid! what do you think will happen? nobody is going to track you down!
people in the US are so scared! about everything! have you noticed that? stop being so afraid thinking that someone's gonna getcha!!!!
Your naive chiding does not stop your questions from being inappropriately personnel. How about - the answers are just none of your da*n business!

Old 07-17-2009, 03:52 PM

107,493 posts, read 109,941,175 times
theres certain places i dont mind disclosing that information such as we took part in a feature story in money magazine, or their was a story about us in fidelity investments magazine or even on the cnn website in a story but i didnt mind because it was really done in context and only for a group that i didnt mind had that info.

when you post to a forum it just dosnt stay in the forum, anyone who googles anything related can see your posting.....

as far as anyone gettin ya... at first when money magazine asked us to partake in a story our reaction was we didnt want our personal info out there...

but then we thought about it. people tell strangers about their marriage situations, their affairs and their sex lives but sssssshhhh say nothing about our money...its comical

so we thought why not do it?

were we embarressed of our financial situation? no
were we living above our means and didnt want the neighbors to know? no
were lost relatives coming out of the woodwork? no

when it came down to it we saw no reason we shouldnt disclose that info.

well after all of the publications we were in i can tell you we got not 1 relative or even 1 charity call.... absouletly nothing from 8 million readers who saw our info.....

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-17-2009 at 04:03 PM..

Old 07-17-2009, 04:28 PM

8,953 posts, read 20,745,224 times
Please see my post in this thread for my opinion on this topic.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...ce-needed.html

Old 07-18-2009, 08:29 AM

9,317 posts, read 18,800,912 times
Never post any personal information regarding your income on a public forum. Very dangerous with all the hacking and stuff going on right now.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:44 AM

11,186 posts, read 16,105,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Never post any personal information regarding your income on a public forum. Very dangerous with all the hacking and stuff going on right now.
Well, I'm not quite sure how saying someone with a completely made up fictional SN of "MotleyCrew" has an income of $100,000 for example would be either "personal" information or would be dangerous.

I guess I have a different sense of privacy since as a federal employee my salary has always been public information. Moreover, as a highly-compensated federal employee, I have to file a financial disclosure statement each year that not only identifies all of my and my wife's income, but it also lists every single stock that I or she bought or sold during the year, or currently hold in our portfolios, including a dollar range of the amount in our checking and savings accounts. Anyone who knows me can send in a request to my agency and receive a copy of that report.

So much for "personal" information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement