Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 01:35 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,962 times

Advertisements

I am having to rollover my 401k to an IRA since becoming self-employed and I cannot further contribute to my 401k until I do (unless I open a separate one and leave the original alone). Nonetheless, I'm rolling it over.

Can anyone tell me about their experiences with their retirement fund companies? I know a lot of fees must be considered, but some apparently do not have minimum balance fees, loads, etc. other than the fees that are built into the fund itself. Any recommendations or thoughts I will surely investigate (and won't hold anyone to anything since I am purely soliciting peoples' thoughts and experiences with good companies that do not have a lot of high fees or, preferably, none at all).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 11:48 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,653 times
Over the past 10 years we've switched almost all of our stuff to T. Rowe Price. No fees (depending on TOTAL balance) and a wide selection of fund choices. I think any large fund "family" is going to offer similar fund choices as well as phone/internet servicing.

golfgod

Old 06-13-2008, 03:49 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Low cost and good options at Vanguard, Fidelity, and Schwab. Many other brokerage firms will also to a good job but may be a bit more expensive depending upon your situation.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:55 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,554,679 times
Just switched to TD Ameritrade... love them... were traditional online brokerage firm, but have really upgraded with tons of tools and also now have local offices if you want that help/support.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:06 PM

113 posts, read 496,216 times
I went with Fidelity. No fees and available online. No complaints.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I use Fidelity as well. Alot of options to choose from for investments.
Good customer service.

And the biggest plus..they don't seem to be too involved with all this banking/financial/subprime mess that other brokerage firms are.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:23 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,671,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Just switched to TD Ameritrade... love them... were traditional online brokerage firm, but have really upgraded with tons of tools and also now have local offices if you want that help/support.
I did the same thing and have been very happy with them.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:24 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,206 times
What about Edward Jones any experiences with them?

Old 06-15-2008, 01:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Edward Jones is full service as far as I know. load funds (sometimes front and rear), and expensive management and transaction fees. I haven't used them for many years, but they were one of the few gig's in town, so I used them at the time.

With nominal market growth, tax advantaged and low cost funds are important to preserve capital. There are some high fliers, but statistically they are not consistently superior. I really depends on your desired activity level and what you are willing to pay for a return. Personally I feel safer with my investments in Fidelity or Vanguard, than in the hands of an active 'manager'. I watched one of those guys tell retirees to pull everything out in January. Bit late on that kind of a call. That is the norm, buy high sell low, that is what the real professional traders feed on. Don't let it be your portfolio via a 'boot camp' advisor. I you choose an adviser, diligently review his ACTUAL . REAL performance in all types of markets over a long term, and ask them to only take fees from your NET earnings. Don't give them a blank check by letting them trade your securities at will.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:36 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
If you choose an adviser, diligently review his ACTUAL . REAL performance in all types of markets over a long term, and ask them to only take fees from your NET earnings. Don't give them a blank check by letting them trade your securities at will.
I think I remember Edward Jones being expensive on the front end, but they claimed the fees were only set at the beginning, 'unlike' others out there that charge trade fees, loads, etc. But, I still wasn't convinced and did not go with them. I recently spoke with a rep at Ameriprise. They appeared to charge around $750 a year for first year, then a management fee yearly after that should you stay with them. Of course, they help you manage the whole ball of wax taking in consideration your retirement, assets, etc. I'm not convinced simply because I haven't reviewed other's experiences. So, if anyone has any thoughts specifically about Ameriprise, that would be helpful.

I'm checking out the suggestions everyone has posted. Keep'em coming because I'm sure there are others who are interested in preserving their retirement funds other than me. And, in this rollercoaster economy, the positive side to it all is that it is stimulating in me more involvement in this aspect of my life. About time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement