Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 02:35 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,643,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Soooo, have you communicated this to your friends so they know not to gift you with these things? If not, you should. If you have, problem solved. Why be so contrary with everyone?
Yes they know not to give me these things. Everyone who comes to my house isn't a close friend of mine. Sometimes neighbors give things.

How is contrary to say no gifts? Everyone doesn't want other's regifted garbage or flowers that send them into an asthma attack or food that someone may be allergic to. I'm really happy without receiving these "gifts". A visit to an ER is not a gift in anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 02:53 PM

5,660 posts, read 3,171,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Yes they know not to give me these things. Everyone who comes to my house isn't a close friend of mine. Sometimes neighbors give things.

How is contrary to say no gifts? Everyone doesn't want other's regifted garbage or flowers that send them into an asthma attack or food that someone may be allergic to. I'm really happy without receiving these "gifts". A visit to an ER is not a gift in anyway.
You have stomped on everyone's suggestions in this thread. Good God, it seems simple enough that when you send out a dinner invitation, to tell your future guests "Please, no gifts. Your presence will be gift enough" or some such.

Old 07-08-2022, 03:00 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,677,141 times
I was taught that politics, religion and money were three topics which should never be brought up in polite conversation.

The world would be a better place if we returned to that notion, IMO.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:29 PM

10,915 posts, read 7,420,904 times
Quote:
Regifting is tacky and a pain. Where do I stick these bottles of wine and whatnot in the mean time?
You're leaving yourself wide open with that.

Old 07-09-2022, 02:06 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,204,720 times
Is dumping the wine down the drain and recycling the bottle too hard?
Do this after they leave of course.

Old 07-09-2022, 04:13 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,396,492 times
OP,

No you are not an old fuddy-duddy. If you were then I'd be old crow. It is our society that has gone downhill. Common courtesy and indeed common sense is no longer part of it, and today's young people and their parents are unaware there were any such things before. It's a "Me, me, me" culture, now.

Keep up with the "old ways" and keep them alive.

Old 07-09-2022, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
You have stomped on everyone's suggestions in this thread. Good God, it seems simple enough that when you send out a dinner invitation, to tell your future guests "Please, no gifts. Your presence will be gift enough" or some such.
I had already said I don't want gifts. Not sure what you don't understand.

Old 07-09-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Is dumping the wine down the drain and recycling the bottle too hard?
Do this after they leave of course.
For someone with an alcohol problem, yes it is. And no everyone doesn't know who has a problem with alcohol.

Old 07-09-2022, 06:10 PM

43,189 posts, read 18,353,761 times
Quote:
For someone with an alcohol problem, yes it is. And no everyone doesn't know who has a problem with alcohol.
Why didn't you tell them about your problem when they gave it to you?

Old 07-09-2022, 07:14 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,927,283 times
Quote:
I had already said I don't want gifts. Not sure what you don't understand.
Well, I guess the subject has become all about what to bring you, and not hostess gifts in general.

I guess I would bring you a lump of coal, as it is about the only thing left!

Seriously though, I've been brought things I do not like, but I graciously accept them in the spirit they were given.

I am somewhat traumatized at the concept that the gift I bring could cause so much angst.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement