Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 02:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

Pretty easy to calculate the 'gain' on your primary residences over the yrs. But it might be pretty painful.

My current primary home is assessed at 10x my cost basis (sounds good), but evaluated as an 'investment'... the returns are dismal (<5%).

But... many do not consider their home as an investment, or a wealth building strategy (me included).

So... the answer, as usual... It depends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 02:52 PM

557 posts, read 297,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Pretty easy to calculate the 'gain' on your primary residences over the yrs. But it might be pretty painful.

My current primary home is assessed at 10x my cost basis (sounds good), but evaluated as an 'investment'... the returns are dismal (<5%).

But... many do not consider their home as an investment, or a wealth building strategy (me included).

So... the answer, as usual... It depends!
Not the point of the thread. The Thread is about whether it every worth paying off a mortgage versus investing the excess cash. The answer stands. Unless your mortgage interest is greater than 10%. It never makes sense, financially, to pay off a mortgage.

Old 06-15-2021, 02:56 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryDay View Post
Not the point of the thread. The Thread is about whether it every worth paying off a mortgage versus investing the excess cash. The answer stands. Unless your mortgage interest is greater than 10%. It never makes sense, financially, to pay off a mortgage.
It depends .

If not 70-100% equities it is a very questionable decision because sequence risk is big when thousands a month in interest is added in retirement while spending down to live .
the risk with a balanced portfolio may not be worth the additional sequence risk

https://www.kitces.com/blog/why-keep...orth-the-risk/

Old 06-15-2021, 03:19 PM

557 posts, read 297,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It depends .

If not 70-100% equities it is a very questionable decision because sequence risk is big when thousands a month in interest is added in retirement while spending down to live .
the risk with a balanced portfolio may not be worth the additional sequence risk

https://www.kitces.com/blog/why-keep...orth-the-risk/
The article in the link was written in 2012 and yes, 2008 through 2011 during the Great Recession there were many that advocated a cash-based investment strategy w/ the push to go back to the cash in the mattress method. But the facts don't support the premise. Even in the years when the market went negative, the following years not only covered your mortgage interest but resulted in significant gains. Those are just the facts.

The S&P index has average over 10% SINCE IT'S INCEPTION.
2021 13.29%
2020 16.26%
2019 28.88%
2018 -6.24%
2017 19.42%
2016 9.54%
2015 -0.73%
2014 11.39%
2013 29.60%
2012 13.41%
2011 0.00%
2010 12.78%
2009 23.45%

To keep discussing risk without assigning it a mathematical definition equates to a baseless fear as the history of the S&P bears out. It does not merit further discussion.

Last edited by MerryDay; 06-15-2021 at 03:51 PM..

Old 06-15-2021, 03:34 PM

Like I said high level equity levels are worth it .

Would I do it as a retiree with Wellesley income which is a 40/60 and bonds are near zero ? Nope , not at all .

Not only do the returns have to be good but the new added risk is they need to be in the right sequence too when spending down .

The year when kitces wrote that is irrelevant, the advice is timeless .

We are not just investing , we are investing with borrowed money …

That requires enough of a a risk premium over and above the rate of the mortgage and a risk free treasury bond so that is not enough for me to borrow money while spending down unless I was at a high level of equities .

There is a trade off between risk vs reward and the reward to use borrowed money needs to be higher than many retiree portfolios will provide because they are lower equity levels..

I would not borrow money to clear 1 to 2% with a balanced portfolio…a 4% mortagage and risk free long term treasuries are at 2.25% would require at least a nice spread as a risk premium and that is not going to be enough for me with a balanced portfolio.

Remember we are talking not only market risk but also sequence risk which is the biggest risk when spending down . So there needs to be plenty of reward in this and that is not going to happen with lower levels of equities and 1 and 2% on bonds

It is not just about beating the mortgage , it is about taking on the risk of using borrowed money to beat the mortgage and a risk free govt bond.

Not a do in my opinion with 40-50% equities at record highs

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-15-2021 at 04:21 PM..

Old 06-15-2021, 04:18 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
It's funny; I was planning on dumping some funds into the mortgage but I like seeing it in the bank.

Anyone feel equity rich (home paid off) but cash poor? Do you wish you had kept some aside?

It's kind of like when you have a car payment; somehow, you always make it. But, when you do not have that payment, do you save it? Generally, no.

If you did pay it off, did you tap into the equity later?
Better,

As one poster noted, there is a "divide" on this subject.

We bought our house in Nov '15, and from payment #1, I paid extra on our fixed 3.785% 30y fixed mortgage.

But we also accumulated a lot of debt updating and upgrading the house, including taking a barely enclosed porch and turning it into a 4 season finished room.
(I did it bass-ackward, should have paid regular mortgage, and paid the cash for updates)

Now, 5.5 y later, we own 60% of the house!
And all the debt is about to be paid off.

I stopped extra mortgage halfway through'18, though to concentrate on all that debt.

With debt paid off, the question is: do we resume extra on mortgage? Or invest it for Retirement?
(Basically same as you)

I'd like to have it paid for in 9 years, reducing 30y to 15y.

I've decided that tax refund; a discount we get on state school taxes come back as a refund; soon my spouse will be 65, so property tax discount; my profit sharing bonus at work (not a lot) will all be thrown at the mortgage, PLUS an extra$124.12 a month will all go to pay off mortgage early. (That rounds mortgage up to next $100, plus an extra $100 to mortgage)

In short anything extra that is routine salary will go to mortgage.

We should have it paid for in 5 years, so our 30y mortgage will be paid for in 11 y!

AND we get to keep putting the Roth, 401k and IRA out of salary away.

So: you are looking for an "Either" or an "Or" proposal.

Why not do both??

Pay some extra, and dedicate "found $" to pay off by a target date you select, and invest or keep invested the rest.

Best...

Old 06-15-2021, 04:19 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Quote:
It's funny; I was planning on dumping some funds into the mortgage but I like seeing it in the bank.

Anyone feel equity rich (home paid off) but cash poor? Do you wish you had kept some aside?

It's kind of like when you have a car payment; somehow, you always make it. But, when you do not have that payment, do you save it? Generally, no.

We actually put some cash on our mortgage rather than keeping it in the bank. Not whole lot but I feel it is safer now - fears of hacking (happened to us last year) put the fear of God in us and the anxiety of being hacked again was just too much.

I would never cash out my equity. My husband is 75 and most likely I will be a widow and I have no desire to make a mortgage payment forever. We hope to pay off our home in 3 years.

Car will be paid off this year - will put in savings.

Old 06-15-2021, 05:26 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Once you pay off your mortgage it is easy to invest the large sums of money you previously paid to the bank. It is amazing how quickly money invested increases in value as opposed to how slowly money borrowed gets paid off. Having no longterm debt also allows one to look at how they invest their money differently as well since they can take more risk.

Old 06-15-2021, 05:31 PM

The problem here is your biggest friend in investing is time ….the longer the time frame you give that money the less pressure there is on a shorter time frame having to be a good one …imagine waiting until right before the lost decade to first start throwing more substantial amounts in .

So I would never cut my time frame shorter .. as it becomes riskier and riskier the shorter you give it. I want maximum amounts to grow over as long as possible reducing the pressure on my time frame

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-15-2021 at 05:53 PM..

Old 06-15-2021, 06:11 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:

I look at what my mortgage is at interest-rate wise. Which is very low, like two point some thing at this point, and I only owe about 40,000 on it. And then I look at how much my 40,000 is getting me in the market. My house payment at this point is 260 bucks a month. Kind of stupid to pay it off with money that’s getting let’s say 8% and there I am putting it on 2% money — that’s a bad decision. I’m also not too far away from selling this, and making a really tidy profit, and the next house will be paid off. And very probably some remodeling all of which I’ll have the money from this house to do it with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement