Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 02:02 PM

1,067 posts, read 624,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It depends .

If not 70-100% equities it is a very questionable decision because sequence risk is big when thousands a month in interest is added in retirement while spending down to live .
the risk with a balanced portfolio may not be worth the additional sequence risk

https://www.kitces.com/blog/why-keep...orth-the-risk/
I agree with this. Additionally, some states provide significant protection to home equity in the event of a lawsuit.

https://www.assetprotectionplanners....ions-by-state/

What if, for example, you are in an auto accident and you are sued for an amount beyond your level of insurance? Asset protection is a consideration in risk management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 02:06 PM

106,707 posts, read 108,913,061 times
That is why we have liability insurance …

Personally I don’t let the liability aspect govern my investment choices ..I rather use insurance paid for with a small portion of the gains I get from investing where the best opportunity is .

Old 06-19-2021, 02:39 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,145,496 times
I got a mortgage after a retired/built a new home.

I could pay it off if need be (and not be cleaned out) but right now I'm happy to have that money doing work for me and I have an interest rate just a tad over 3% so...

Old 06-19-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
That is why we have liability insurance …

Personally I don’t let the liability aspect govern my investment choices ..I rather use insurance paid for with a small portion of the gains I get from investing where the best opportunity is .
Lawsuits can have awards that can exceed the levels of liability on your policies. If you are in a state that has a solid homestead exemption, it can at least offer you some or full protection on your home equity.

Old 06-19-2021, 05:27 PM

106,707 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
Lawsuits can have awards that can exceed the levels of liability on your policies. If you are in a state that has a solid homestead exemption, it can at least offer you some or full protection on your home equity.
Generally law suits tend to cap out at the low hanging fruit when you have liability insurance of a decent amount which is the policy .

But having a protected home is always a plus

Old 06-19-2021, 06:01 PM

6,589 posts, read 7,094,342 times
Quote:
Generally law suits tend to cap out at the low hanging fruit when you have liability insurance of a decent amount which is the policy .

and insured! Never forget that policy payment.

Old 06-19-2021, 06:32 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,934,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is the retirement forum, though. People aren't generally thinking in "decades". Well, maybe some of the optimists.
I just checked the table below. At the typical retirement age of 65, the life expectancy for a male is 17.92 years and a female is 20.49 years.

https://www.annuityadvantage.com/res...ctancy-tables/

My maternal grandparents passed away at 70 and 64 years old. My mother lived to be 93.5 years old thanks to modern medicine which kept her diabetic in check for many years.

It does not matter to me when I am no longer on this earth but I fully expect to live at least as long as my mother.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:04 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I just checked the table below. At the typical retirement age of 65, the life expectancy for a male is 17.92 years and a female is 20.49 years.

https://www.annuityadvantage.com/res...ctancy-tables/

My maternal grandparents passed away at 70 and 64 years old. My mother lived to be 93.5 years old thanks to modern medicine which kept her diabetic in check for many years.

It does not matter to me when I am no longer on this earth but I fully expect to live at least as long as my mother.
Yes, several people made that point, and as already stated, I am 62 and my mother died last year at 91, and her mother died in 2001 at 94, so yeah, I'm aware that people live for a long time these days. I was referring to money being invested for retirement before it is needed in retirement, not after, but it's all good.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:

My father was on the opposite side of this situation. He suffered a TBI in an accident. He spent 2 months in a Neuro ICU, followed by almost 2 years of rehab. The other party’s insurance capped out at $1.5 million. While we are restricted on disclosure, you can imagine the sudden financial situation the other side was facing.

Old 06-20-2021, 06:02 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,083,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
While working, we tried very hard to not having any debts: We paid cash for our cars, paid off mortgage on the 1st home in 2 years and the last pre-retirement home in 6 years.

In retirement, we could have paid cash for our current car and home but chose to get a car loan (0% interest for 5 years) and a mortgage (3.25% interest, 15 years then refinanced at 2.5% also 15 years).

When we sold our paid-for home in NY, we could have used the proceed to pay off about 60% of the ID mortgage but decided to invest it in RE. After the developer who bought the 300 acres farm next to our house refused our cash offer for the 2A riverfront lot next to our house, we turned around and invested in 2 hangars (one to keep our plane and one to rent out). The hangars have increased in value at least 25% in one year which is much higher than our 2.5% mortgage interest rate.

RE values have gone up tremendously in our area, we now have at least 60% equity in the house (appreciated ~67% in 3 years). This means that if we have to sell the house for whatever reasons, we would have no problems paying off the mortgage with the proceeds.

Bottom line is that we prefer having money in the bank instead of paying off our 'debts'. Our total current debt is roughly about the same as our cash reserve (which is now at ~ 6% of our total asset). We also don't have to worry about how to meet our payments if there are financial disasters such as losing our jobs (during our working years).

For us, we can cover our current living expenses (including our mortgage/car payments) with our income (SSs, pensions and parts of our dividends). We have been using my husband's RMDs to pay our income taxes. His RMD is <1% of our investable asset. In effect, we are drawing < 1% of our saving which is way below the 4% safe withdrawal rate. I will be collecting my own SS when I turn 70. The increase amount will cover ~ 60% of our income taxes further reducing our withdrawal rate.

There have been quite a few discussions in this thread regarding the pros and cons of having a mortgage, how to invest the money (use other people's money) etc. IMO, the decision to have a mortgage or not is based not only on just the numbers but also one's emotion.

There is no one best way, financial analysis or number which fits everybody. There are many factors in an individual financial situation: single/married, age, w or w/o heirs, amount & sources of 'fixed' income, healthcare insurance coverage/need, wealth level etc. Financial experts can offer all kinds of analysis or advices but one still needs to be investment knowledgeable to either figure out how to follow the advices or to hire a a good money manager.

Emotionally, we are quite conservative but have no problems of being in 'debt' in retirement. We are not incurring any risks in having a house and car payment and can sleep very well at night.

Bottom line is that each person just have to do their own analysis/research and decide what financial decision is best for their own financial and emotion well-being.
Very good post, especially the last sentences. However, 6% of portfolio debt when that includes a mortgage & 0% car loan is so low compared to total NW as to practically be noise. For most people, if the consideration of a mortgage or not is a serious decision, then the financial impact is more dire. I carry a mortgage, (recent refi, 30yr, 2.75%) and didn’t give it a second thought. Any home appreciates the same with or without a mortgage. And my only debt is the mortgage, but it is more like 25% of my After Tax NW. In order for the funds not used to pay off a mortgage to make any difference, it has to be quite a few $100k. Debating paying off an $80k mortgage is not a debate. The income from $80k is not going to make a hill of beans difference. Heck, in most states, you can’t even refi only $80k. If paying you mortgage impacts your income enough to warrant the debate, then paying it off is probably a better option. ESPECIALLY if the majority of your income is fixed. If your mortgage is less than 20% of your income and you only need 50% of it to live well, then, again, no debate. It doesn’t matter. Whatever makes you sleep better is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement