Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 04:13 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,595,151 times

Advertisements

I've set a task, in my old age, to memorize the list of the 254 counties in Texas. I've always been addicted to maps, and to the poetry of geographical names. At ten, I could name the 48 states in 60 seconds, and in coll ege I learned the lists of several states' counties. States with under 30 counties can be memorized in an hour, 75 in a day, 100 is doable, but I never challenged myself with Texas

The nice thing about counties is that the list remains the same for decades, there is no nitpicking about what counts, and it's romantic to think about the history and geography. And, in your old age, your memory needs all the practice it can get, to remain fresh. So try your own state -- you're familiar already with quite a few of them.

A few tips.

To find a neat uncluttered list can be found by googling /(state) counties alphalists/. But it's also nice tioWikisearch /(state) counties/ and see who they were named after and when.

It helps me to learn how many start with each letter --- 5 A's, 3 B's, 6 C's -- which helps fill in gaps when you miss a few.

Last edited by arr430; 03-18-2021 at 04:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 04:47 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,517,065 times
Meh.......that's what Google is for!

Old 03-18-2021, 05:48 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,009,133 times
In 6th grade in Portland Maine we were taught a song of the county names.
I remembered it for years.

Sure wish I could remember it now.

Old 03-18-2021, 06:37 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
I have better things to do with my time than spend a day memorizing something I will never need. If I want to do something to kill time and simultaneously improve my cognitive skills, I'll play a scrabble app against the computer or do sudoku, or read a challenging book, or learn a new skill (hopefully one that will prove useful). But hey, you do you. My personal favorite is watching Jeopardy and trying to answer all the questions before the contestants do.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:34 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,823 times
I do crossword puzzles which can be a challenge with short term memory loss. Trying to memorize a list of counties or anything else is a ship that has sailed a long time ago.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:57 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,360,805 times
Living here in Germany, I have been using German for almost all daily communication including listening to radio or reading books / news. I also speak Spanish fluently, and often watch Netflix films or series in their original Spanish language version. Using more than one language challenges and exercises the brain in a good way IMO. It is also useful, because the languages let you be a part of other countries and cultures.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:22 AM

89 posts, read 84,223 times
With so much 2 factor authentication deployed, I memorize the numbers texted to me for authentication. It's a cheap, practical way to keep your mind sharp.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:01 AM

5,877 posts, read 6,944,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
My personal favorite is watching Jeopardy and trying to answer all the questions before the contestants do.
We cheat a bit, and pause it for a few seconds to give our "Senior Minds" a chance to come up with the answer.

Our problem is often forgetting the category. I wish they would display it at the bottom of the screen. It would save us from coming up with embarrassing (but usually funny) answers that are clearly wrong, based on the category (eg answering "Brazil" to a question about a country in Africa).

Old 03-18-2021, 11:44 AM

25,558 posts, read 17,263,106 times
I memorized "The Cremation of Sam McGee" for that very reason - to keep brain power working.
It didn't take long. A week or more, I think.

Old 03-18-2021, 01:01 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Living here in Germany, I have been using German for almost all daily communication including listening to radio or reading books / news. I also speak Spanish fluently, and often watch Netflix films or series in their original Spanish language version. Using more than one language challenges and exercises the brain in a good way IMO. It is also useful, because the languages let you be a part of other countries and cultures.
Same here. Living in a foreign country has enough built-in challenging thought processes. Lots of Spanish Netflix here.

We got our dryer fixed yesterday without a word of English being spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement