Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 05:58 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,068,937 times

Advertisements

Our class was small enough to travel to DC for a class trip. In one large passenger van. Lol

I might enjoy seeing some of them. We have a retired Navy officer, a retired firefighter, a project manager for Microsoft, a housewife, an elementary school teacher, and one that I lost track of 45 years ago. Smartest girl in our class but the last time I saw her, she was working at a fast food place. That seems to be a byproduct of her parents having her extremely late in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2021, 06:26 PM

882 posts, read 770,650 times
I have stayed really good friends with 6 other women who all met in the first grade. Until COVID we had a reunion every two years (missed this past year). We live all over the country but make time for each other. This is all the reunion I care about.

Old 01-07-2021, 08:10 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,068,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
I have stayed really good friends with 6 other women who all met in the first grade. Until COVID we had a reunion every two years (missed this past year). We live all over the country but make time for each other. This is all the reunion I care about.
That’s so sweet. Hopefully, you’re taken group pictures at every reunion! Those would be great to re-live!

Old 01-07-2021, 08:13 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,264,285 times
The is a great difference between friends from fifty years ago and friends for fifty years. The former, meh. The latter, priceless.

Old 01-08-2021, 08:12 AM

37,497 posts, read 61,523,940 times
I have only attended one highschool reunion. It was our 25th, it happened soon right after I retired from the Navy. One thing they did that I thought was neat was they copied senior photos onto name tags.

But, there was a slight hitch doing that. We had a little over 700 classmates in our graduating class. The cheerleaders put together the yearbook, and they included all of their friends. If none of the cheerleaders knew you then nobody went to the effort to include your senior portrait. On the last page of our yearbook is a page dedicated to listing all the names of graduating seniors whose photos were not included within the yearbook, four columns of names, I am included on that list. My senior yearbook does not have my photo in it [as I was not very popular in school. I worked fulltime and did not attend any of the after school activities or football games, etc].

The cheerleaders all stayed local and they still get together. The jocks were reliving their highschool 'fame' [kind of reminded me of Al Bundy in 'Married with children' how their most memorable life event was what they did with a football at one game, one time].

Only a small handful of us ever left the hometown, most of them still live within a 40-mile radius.

There was a group that formed discussing their financial investments. I was surprised to see that I was the only person at that time who had already retired.

My highschool class [1977] has its own Facebook page, most of the catching up stuff is done on Facebook.

The football rivalries with neighboring towns is still a big hot topic. Many of their children were also in the marching band or played sports, to follow in the footsteps of their parents.

I drug along a friend who I have kept in contact with all along. He and I sat at a table by ourselves, we did not recognize anyone at the reunion, and nobody there recognized us. It might have helped if either of us had the nametags with our photos. But then again, maybe not.

I have no intent to attend any further reunions. I live 3,000 miles away.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:40 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,353,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Speaking from personal experience: If I haven't kept in touch in 50 yrs, I didn't see the point of attending my 50th HS reunion.

I had 1 person write and invite me claiming a desire to catch up. So much so that she never responded to any of the letters I sent. Just trying to get me to go to the reunion for some reason.

No, I can't imagine talking to someone after 50 yrs. I can't imagine wanting to.
^^This^^ I didn't keep in touch with anybody from High School so I also see no reason to attend a 50th reunion which will be next year.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:54 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,208,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
All my good friends from the Class of 1963 (57-1/2 years ago) are dead, except one who is in a federal prison for bilking the IRS of millions of dollars with phony tax returns. I've thought of contacting him but am afraid of getting on the government's law enforcement radar.

I was also '63. The last 2 close friends I had kept in touch with for years, died this year.
I didn't go to our 50th reunion and don't regret it, but I do sort of regret having lost touch with them in recent years.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:44 PM

332 posts, read 221,035 times
I couldn't stand high school. I didn't like college either. I like retirement though. Been here for 20 years now.

Old 01-08-2021, 02:43 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,004,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
^^This^^ I didn't keep in touch with anybody from High School so I also see no reason to attend a 50th reunion which will be next year.
I didn't keep in touch with anyone. But no one kept in touch with me, either, so it evens out.

I can't see dragging DH to a class reunion. We'd both be miserable.

Old 01-08-2021, 02:47 PM

2,362 posts, read 621,066 times
I dragged mine to a gf house when we were in MI to see my mom - one gf brought her boyfriend so he wasn't the only man - but the boyfriend had also been a classmate of mine LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement