Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 07:43 PM

3,073 posts, read 2,059,596 times

Advertisements

We moved a year ago to be nearer our family ha.
We (spouse and I) sat and talked it over several weeks ago and decided we cannot visit them unless they also wear masks in their home. We both got our flu shots weeks ago.

One couple will not do that so we cannot see them until a vaccine is safe and we get it.
Another couple agreed with our request and we will visit them but will not be able to have shared meals obviously.

Recent reports in our area say that family gatherings are the source of increased covid infections.
It's not "other people" infecting you with covid and flu, it's the people you get close to and spend time with. And it's the people THEY get close to and spend time with.

One of my FB friends put it like this: "if 4 people are making Christmas ornaments and only one of you is using glitter you all go home with glitter on you."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 08:08 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,798,160 times
This is not news, I’ve been keeping distance with our kids even. Nothing recent about it.

Old 11-16-2020, 05:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,128,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Charlize Theron for me.

We saw Sting in concert about a year before the China Virus - we were very near the stage. He hasn't aged a day.
I believe it - I saw him about fifteen years ago and it was one of the very best concerts I've ever attended. He sang for about three solid hours!

Old 11-16-2020, 10:03 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,678,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
We moved a year ago to be nearer our family...
Well, that was your first mistake.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:10 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,735,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
We moved a year ago to be nearer our family ha.
We (spouse and I) sat and talked it over several weeks ago and decided we cannot visit them unless they also wear masks in their home. We both got our flu shots weeks ago.

One couple will not do that so we cannot see them until a vaccine is safe and we get it.
Another couple agreed with our request and we will visit them but will not be able to have shared meals obviously.

Recent reports in our area say that family gatherings are the source of increased covid infections.
It's not "other people" infecting you with covid and flu, it's the people you get close to and spend time with. And it's the people THEY get close to and spend time with.

One of my FB friends put it like this: "if 4 people are making Christmas ornaments and only one of you is using glitter you all go home with glitter on you."
Wonderful quote! Fitting and easily visualized.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:08 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,352,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Right now I’m more annoyed that I’m gonna have that Police tune in my head for the rest of the day. Their repetitious songs are always the hardest ones to turn off.
De-doo-doo-doo, de-da-da-da, is all I want to say to you.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:20 AM

750 posts, read 584,487 times
Silly question, but would you still kiss or hug someone of the opposite sex, if you really really wanted to?
A stranger or someone you know? (Chances are they are healthy.)

Old 11-17-2020, 08:50 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,862,206 times
"Research has shown that people spray liquid droplets of various sizes when they cough, sneeze, talk, sing, shout and even just breathe. The coronavirus can hitchhike on these particles. The advice about staying at least 6 feet apart is based on the idea that the larger particles drop to the ground before getting very far." [AP Newswire]

It's been shown, for example, that infected person coughing in a grocery store, can send infectious particles at least 2-aisles (25-30-feet). Further, tests have shown that wearing a mask can reduced the spray by more than 60-percent (or up to 95-percent with the N95 masks).

While many feel no sense of vulnerability or susceptibility to COVID, this mask situation reminds me of a story about an ancient philosopher. It seems he always carried a burning lamp with him, even though he was relatively healthy, stable and had good eyesight. When asked why, he replied, "So others will not stumble over me!"

Old 11-17-2020, 11:06 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,009,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Silly question, but would you still kiss or hug someone of the opposite sex, if you really really wanted to?
A stranger or someone you know? (Chances are they are healthy.)
I don't even kiss or hug my spouse. Nor do I get closer than 6 feet to him without glass separating us.

Yes, I would like to give him a hug. It would mean so much to him. But we're both going to have to wait a bit longer.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:37 PM

7,225 posts, read 4,610,631 times
Is your husband doing risky things that you don’t approve of? This seems really strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement