Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 03:43 PM

23,411 posts, read 19,043,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eauboy View Post
To clarify, is retirement sweeter *because* you had two fulfilling successes just prior to walking out the door, or was it nice to get out, period? Would it have been just as nice if you'd been able to retire just before those two projects picked up steam? (pun intended)
Seems to me it would matter that I ever had fulfilling successes period. No one or nothing can take those away again. When they might have occurred during that career may be less important. Leaving right on the cusp of those successes? Why? Maybe I don't understand what you mean. That sounds like a recipe for second guessing and regrets. Not all people end up advancing to reach their highest "level" right before retiring. Not everyone is continually goaded by ambition. Many reach some peak earlier and don't stay there. What they consider "good work life balance" could certainly shift over time. If you have had a fulfilling career in general you may not care if you are at the peak of your game in your final working years. You look back over the summation, not the individual parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 05:10 PM

366 posts, read 215,972 times
How late of the Fifties are you?

I understand and respect the desire to make a difference - I really do.

How long before you retire?

Think carefully of the politics and back stabbing that are part of moving into higher more visible and political positions.

Speaking from my own experience - you may not like it once you get it....

All the best sir...

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go....

gamboolman....

Old 10-23-2020, 05:20 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,304,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eauboy View Post
Hello all,

I'm late fifties and within sight of retirement. An opportunity has arisen to pursue a promotion. It's far from certain that I'd get it (I have to apply), but it's the most suitable opportunity that's come along in several years. It would be more responsibility, but would be in a part of the organization that I have a plenty of experience with. I'd be a good fit.

It wouldn't be more money, or if it is more money, the difference wouldn't be meaningful. It isn't about that for me. Rather, I'm interested in having more of a say in how the organization is run. I bring a skillset and perspective which (I feel) is missing in senior leadership.

So my question is, for those of you who are already retired, how much satisfaction do you derive from your professional advancement when you were still working? I mean, I assume you probably don't give it any thought most days, but when you discuss your work years with your friends and family, or when you're just looking back on those years, do you derive satisfaction from thinking how successful you were? Things like your job title, the scope of your authority, etc?

I hope it doesn't sound shallow, but the idea of knowing that I made it to a particular professional milestone seems like it would be appealing.

If I was going to be working for many more years this would be a no-brainer. I'd apply. However, given that I probably won't work that many more years I have to weigh it more carefully.

All thoughts welcome!
yes - I used to say that I didn't care if I got a raise, as long as I was promoted. That sounds weird now - but that is how I felt.

Go for it because you never know - might change your mind.

Old 10-24-2020, 06:57 AM

55 posts, read 63,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Wondering if it doesn’t work out. Will you be able to return to your position? If so...

I think the challenge could be a healthy experience for the right person. Good luck, OP!
Thank you and yes, if I don't make the cut I simply stay in my existing position. No harm no foul, except perhaps to my ego. If that were to happen I'd be free to view my last few years as little more than the final approach path to retirement.

Old 10-24-2020, 07:16 AM

55 posts, read 63,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
You hit the nail in the head. The key is a salary increase being an important factor.

But the OP said this promotion will not have much salary increase.

But it still can be considered a positive step career wise, such as finishing it with a positive note, as a stepping stone to post-retirement career, etc.
Right. It really won't affect my bottom line that much. I'm at the upper end of the compensation band for my current position, and the two bands overlap, so at first I'd get the same pay, but with long-term upward mobility pay-wise. Since I don't plan on being there *that* long, the difference is minimal.

It really isn't about the money, although there are some advantages to the way the pension plan is operated at this level of seniority.

Old 10-28-2020, 03:59 AM

2,783 posts, read 2,088,373 times
Why not? I don’t see the reason not to, especially if it interests you. I liked my career plenty. I was not in management. Didn’t care for endless meetings but then again, made less too, and was never asked to play. Still made more than I ever thought I would, but maybe 10times as much would be nicer. But back on point, in retirement not one thing I did at work over those past 40+ years means much at all. There’s the occasional reminiscing when I have had lunch with friends I worked with, but that’s about it. Less stress is the way to go.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:57 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,328,323 times
For the first few years after retirement I enjoyed thinking back at my career and all the successes I had, but after being retired for 19 years whatever successes and impact I had on my company doesn't mean much any more. In fact after just 3 years in retirement my accomplishments were fading away.

My life is very good now and nothing I did while working has added to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement