Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 03:28 PM

6,844 posts, read 4,004,690 times

Advertisements

Bought our last puppy almost 3 years ago. I was 71, wife was 69. If one of us goes the dog would be a help to the survivor.

Last edited by bobspez; 10-06-2020 at 04:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 03:43 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,963,608 times
My last dog died suddenly last year and I'm still heartbroken. I'm 69 now and nothing will ever replace my Gus. No plans to ever get another one. Ever.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:01 PM

339 posts, read 620,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog53 View Post
Good morning,

This morning as my two dogs are at the vet for a check-up, I thought about what my age would be that I get my last dog. I am 67 and we have 2 Papillons, Ginger age 7, and Bella age 2. I need to ponder this and decide how I would need to be responsible in purchasing my last dog. We have people that would take our dogs if something happened to us, including the breeder. We also have money set aside for their care. Your thoughts?

Best,
Reddog53
2 Papillons! They're both young too. I've had pets for most of my married life (42 years) and have had dogs, birds and fish for the last 27 years. The fish were the first to go, literally and figuratively. We've still birds, canaries and finches, currently 4 finches. They'll be the last birds we own. Birds are happiest when not alone so if we end up with a loner due to the death of the other 3 I'll give that one away.

We've also been dog adopters. I agree with your later comment about temperament. We adopted our last---a tri color papillon, Mickey Mouse, 13, from a kill shelter in Iowa. Turned out that the breeder regularly surrendered unsold dogs to the shelter. Mickey was less than a year when he was put in the kill shelter and an eagle eyed worker called the Papillon Rescue organization which sent someone to rescue the dog. We've had Mickey since he was rescued.

We, too, were disappointed. Mickey has always had behavioral issues that precluded him from agility trials although he was bright & quite gifted. It's said that Papillons live a long time, perhaps 15 years. Mix is 13 and has had a series of ailments but the major change for me is the temperament.

The family now refers to him as the "High Plains Drifter" because he NEVER can be alone and doesn't respond well to other care givers. Velco doesn't begin to explain it. Frankly, it's exhausting to deal with a high need, high touch dog so we think that he'll be our last. Prior to him we had another rescue, a male Collie (he was old and frail and didn't last a year) and prior to that a male Shepherd-Golden Retriever that we had for 13 years.

The hubs and I are both in good health but we've determined that our dog days will end when Mickey passes away. One thing that has bothered me immensely is going to dog rescue sites to see the proliferation of OLD dogs up for adoption because the retired owners either have gone into nursing home care, died, or transitioned into other living where dogs aren't allowed. To me that's profoundly cruel. Our house rules for the kid was always, "You take an animal into your home, that animal dies in your home." I don't want to be a hypocrite concerning this rule. I LOVE dogs. I can't imagine living without one but I refuse to leave a 4 legged orphan when I pass away. Maybe it's because I was an orphan as a kid and don't want to put an animal through that. I don't care how many people will profess to be willing to take the dog. When push comes to shove in most cases it's a burden to them and I've seen people renege on their word too often. It's cold and cruel to the animal if it's just about me and my comfort. No, no, and no.

Oh, yes. Hubs and me are 67 & 65.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:10 PM

6,844 posts, read 4,004,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
My last dog died suddenly last year and I'm still heartbroken. I'm 69 now and nothing will ever replace my Gus. No plans to ever get another one. Ever.
We felt that way when we lost our chihuahua after 18 years. However getting a new puppy 3 months later was the best thing for us. I was 71, my wife was 69. She is almost 3 years old now and gives us pleasure every day and I think she keeps us young.

Last edited by bobspez; 10-06-2020 at 04:26 PM..

Old 10-06-2020, 04:39 PM

2,914 posts, read 1,862,312 times
Choices some of us have to make. For myself, prefer to come and go without the concern of a family member, which is what I call my animals. Last recuse a Maltese, Mattie Rose.

Have taken care of my friends canine fur babies, enjoy the time their are with me.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:43 PM

140 posts, read 144,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
We lost my 8 year old Papillon, Piper, in 2018, and we lost my husband's first and only dog, an 8 year old Golden Retriever, Amberbark (Amber), both to cancer. I was against Roundup from the start and now I insist that it never comes close to our yard.

My husband still grieves for his "first, best, and only girl, Amber." I don't think that I can convince him to get another. He loves our Papillons and that will have to be enough.

I am so sorry for your loss of Gus. It is a deep and long hurt like no other. Much love to you.

Best,
Reddog53

Old 10-06-2020, 04:44 PM

3,211 posts, read 3,010,915 times
Already did.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:54 PM

140 posts, read 144,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowdweller View Post
2 Papillons! They're both young too. I've had pets for most of my married life (42 years) and have had dogs, birds and fish for the last 27 years. The fish were the first to go, literally and figuratively. We've still birds, canaries and finches, currently 4 finches. They'll be the last birds we own. Birds are happiest when not alone so if we end up with a loner due to the death of the other 3 I'll give that one away.

We've also been dog adopters. I agree with your later comment about temperament. We adopted our last---a tri color papillon, Mickey Mouse, 13, from a kill shelter in Iowa. Turned out that the breeder regularly surrendered unsold dogs to the shelter. Mickey was less than a year when he was put in the kill shelter and an eagle eyed worker called the Papillon Rescue organization which sent someone to rescue the dog. We've had Mickey since he was rescued.

We, too, were disappointed. Mickey has always had behavioral issues that precluded him from agility trials although he was bright & quite gifted. It's said that Papillons live a long time, perhaps 15 years. Mix is 13 and has had a series of ailments but the major change for me is the temperament.

The family now refers to him as the "High Plains Drifter" because he NEVER can be alone and doesn't respond well to other care givers. Velco doesn't begin to explain it. Frankly, it's exhausting to deal with a high need, high touch dog so we think that he'll be our last. Prior to him we had another rescue, a male Collie (he was old and frail and didn't last a year) and prior to that a male Shepherd-Golden Retriever that we had for 13 years.

The hubs and I are both in good health but we've determined that our dog days will end when Mickey passes away. One thing that has bothered me immensely is going to dog rescue sites to see the proliferation of OLD dogs up for adoption because the retired owners either have gone into nursing home care, died, or transitioned into other living where dogs aren't allowed. To me that's profoundly cruel. Our house rules for the kid was always, "You take an animal into your home, that animal dies in your home." I don't want to be a hypocrite concerning this rule. I LOVE dogs. I can't imagine living without one but I refuse to leave a 4 legged orphan when I pass away. Maybe it's because I was an orphan as a kid and don't want to put an animal through that. I don't care how many people will profess to be willing to take the dog. When push comes to shove in most cases it's a burden to them and I've seen people renege on their word too often. It's cold and cruel to the animal if it's just about me and my comfort. No, no, and no.

Oh, yes. Hubs and me are 67 & 65.
I give you much credit for your support and love of Mr. Mickey. My brother rescued a "German Shepard" from a shelter in WA. There were 12 potential candidates for Bindi. My brother and sister love her although she has cost in time, money, and emotions. She has separation anxiety and has chewed through plastic and broken teeth on chain link fencing meant to keep her safe. She is better now that my SIL is working from home, but they are concerned when they she has to go back to work. I really don't understand how the shelter can temperament-test a dog like that and pass it along. Then there is the story of my boss' Maltese (not) rescued from a shelter in CA. To handle her, they have to wear leather gloves that reach the shoulder. They have to throw her food down in a back bedroom. She is locked up behind two doors when family visits. I would not/could not keep a dog like that.

There is a Southern California Golden Retriever Rescue that is reputable and truly vetts their dogs. Also, the Frosted Faces Foundation in SoCal rescues/fosters/adopts out senior dogs. They pay for all medical needs until end of life. They have a program that a dog owner can bequest them their dogs for life care if the dog outlives the owner. They request a donation, but there is not a required amount.

Best, Reddog53

Old 10-06-2020, 05:05 PM

12,068 posts, read 10,365,733 times
Who knows.

I was surprised with another pup a few weeks ago. Roommate just walked in with a small terrier type that was no longer wanted by its owner. He is a soft touch

This pup is such a good dog. He listens when you call him. Is of course potty trained. Has his shots, micro-chipped and neutered. Doesn't even bark. He is about 9 years old.

Altogether now we are caring for 9 canines. Most are elderly. Hope this new one is the last one - lol

Old 10-06-2020, 05:13 PM

108 posts, read 80,281 times
I think we were 33, the dogs were the kids pets. They have been gone for many years now and after resisting the urge to run out and get another dog when they died, we are comfortable being pet free for now. My mom is 80, soon to be 81 and wants to get a puppy. Hoping she will forget about it. To me a pet is a life long commitment - their life not yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement