Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 04:08 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,962,629 times

Advertisements

I had a voice mail from this number saying he was from Social Security and I needed to call them at a number at the end of the message - yes I’ll get right on that, lollol.

Instead I checked the number that left the voice mail and found this:

https://bobrtc.tel/numbers/d/209-310...s-ssa-cra-scam

So once again, don’t fall for the “call this number back” because it is a scam to get your money

This is repeated over and over on this forum but I feel it is one thing that bears repeating because there is always someone who will unwittingly fall for the scam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 04:46 PM

6,354 posts, read 4,296,463 times
Yes, this is an old one but I agree it bears repeating since so many keep falling for it sadly.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:44 PM

5,485 posts, read 4,170,414 times
aw, call them back and have some fun with them. Ask them if there is anyone there who speaks Spanish. Remember if you keep them busy, they can't be scamming someone else.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:08 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,100,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
aw, call them back and have some fun with them. Ask them if there is anyone there who speaks Spanish. Remember if you keep them busy, they can't be scamming someone else.
Because these sites are targeting the US, many of them do have Spanish speakers. It's better to use a more obscure language like Tajik or Kazakh.....unless you actually want to play around with them. They hang up pretty quickly once I use the line "No speak Englees"! Some ask if I speak Spanish (which I do) but I opt for Tajik!

Old 09-19-2020, 08:21 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,133,425 times
Just got the car warranty scam call yesterday. Blocked. My phone marks a lot of these calls as "Scam Likely". Unfortunately some still make it through.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:36 AM

35,390 posts, read 31,886,321 times
I get car warranty scams all the time. The easiest way to stop is to “silence unknown callers” on your phone where they don’t even ring and go straight to VM, or an app like RoboKill that stops them.

Old 09-20-2020, 08:13 AM

4,820 posts, read 4,544,539 times
So many of these bogus calls. My spam blocker does deter a lot but still some manage to get through. The problem with calling them back is they are all phoney numbers anyway so there is no way your calling will reach anyone let alone take up their time...........but I agree it would feel great to do that!

Car warranties, credit card company, "your utility company", student loan, you name it.But yes, a call from medicare or IRS- neither one ever calls we know--- they do catch you off
guard for a moment~
Always good to remind

Old 09-20-2020, 08:19 AM

11,330 posts, read 9,978,021 times
I've been getting one robocall over and over that says "Congratulations! You've won a free X days vacation at (insert hotel chain name) 5 star resort. Press 1 to..." I get that one at least 2 times a week, and I've blocked the number each time, but it spoofs a new number each time. I just hang up as soon as I hear "Congratulations..."

Old 09-20-2020, 08:21 AM

31,000 posts, read 16,571,773 times
I get mostly utility company calls.

I did get a couple of student loan calls. Had to laugh. My student loan was paid off over 40 yrs ago.

Old 09-20-2020, 11:30 AM

15,659 posts, read 26,464,792 times
On a number of cell phones, you have the ability to pass through unknown phone calls. In other words on my iPhone if I go into my phone application, there is a slider that only rings people in my contact list. Any other phone call that I get, I still get. But it doesn’t ring my phone. It goes straight through to voicemail, and most often they don’t leave a voicemail. If they do leave a voicemail you get a notification that the voicemail is there but no chirping or beeping.

So if you get a phone call that you need to get, All you have to do is add that phone number into your contact list and the next time you get that call it will ring.

At this point, there is no reason to answer your phone every single time somebody calls. With all the scam phone calls, if people stop doing that they’d go away. They only do this because it works — it makes them money. And you weren’t “picked”, your Robodialed which means they start at area code, exchange, 0001, then 0002, then 0003. And actually they call blocks of numbers. That’s why the Do Not Call list is useless here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement