Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 12:12 PM

821 posts, read 407,500 times

Advertisements

There is something about cold temps that it feels like it penetrates to my bones. To sleep in the winter or summer, I need the inside temp to be cool.

One thing to note, I find that I have an aversion to going outside when it is cold than any other time of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 12:41 PM

11,109 posts, read 6,704,317 times
Both of us are far less tolerant than before we became "seniors".

DH has Reynaud's Syndrome and gets cold below 75! So this climate is perfect for us. But in the 6 months it is 80s and humid, I am uncomfortable and sweat drips off my face. I think it may be hormonal.

I have to get it down to 69 or 70 to sleep comfortably, and he is cold all night. But in the day, it can go to 77 before I get uncomfortable.

We used to live in a severe climate but couldn't handle it anymore.

Old 09-15-2020, 12:46 PM

9,369 posts, read 14,190,705 times
I think heat intolerance might be related to hardening of the arteries. Maybe arteries expand a little less and its harder for your circulation to dissipate heat. Lots of genetics and previous lifestyle choices might figure in here. But this is just an idea.

Old 09-15-2020, 12:49 PM

88,827 posts, read 85,222,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I've become less Kid In-tolerant. Does that count?
Hahahaha, me, too.

I'm also becoming more "look at the pictures of my grand/great-grandchildren" intolerant.

They all look alike to me. Stop. Of course I don't say that. I smile and murmur politely.

But I have become more intolerant of heat. This summer was just awful in New Jersey, and although I miss the beach, I am loving the cooler days and nights with the windows open.

When I was younger, I couldn't stand the cold.

Old 09-15-2020, 01:04 PM

13,117 posts, read 7,593,772 times
Intolerant. Yes.
I (male,70) have more variability. I am on Leuprolide to control prostate cancer cells floating around my blood stream. I get hot flashes at any time, intense hot flash with carbs. Sweaty hot flashes any time.

Old 09-15-2020, 01:15 PM

13,289 posts, read 8,506,249 times
Hadn't experience heat exhaustion since 20 years ago. This time it slammed my body to the point of : dehydration,migraine, lethargic, loss of memory. Had to get to our local urgent care. Two hours hooked up to an i.v.
It was a challenge as they explained my organs, heart and kidney took a hit from this heat exhaustion.
So while I cannot stand being cold or enduring that shiver all day feeling, the heat exhaustion took days to bounce back from. Worse part was ...even water made me ill. How bizarre!

Old 09-15-2020, 01:32 PM

18,745 posts, read 33,476,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I've become less Kid In-tolerant. Does that count?
I've always been kid-intolerant and it never changes. They're just not on my radar screen. You can always avoid kids by telling people "It's a condition of my parole."

I have always had trouble with the heat and ever more so with aging. The humidity back East made me ill. I've said like it between 20-60F, sunny and dry. Even the summers here in SW Colorado have been blastingly hot in the sun. I even installed an a/c, which I never thought I'd need or want here at 7,000 feet.

Old 09-15-2020, 01:36 PM

61,995 posts, read 87,653,804 times
I love cold and was always cold tolerant. It's the heat that wears me out. I despise it.
https://globalnews.ca/news/258330/to...-conditioning/

Old 09-15-2020, 01:57 PM

35,171 posts, read 31,490,161 times
Probably heat actually.

Anything above 90 sends me heading to the pool or lake. I really don't do much outside, except maybe walk on the biking trail behind the house, above 90. I was planning on hiking a bit of the Appalachian Trail locally Friday, but it was too hot, so I just went swimming instead.

I'm probably not going to be out much below 20F either, but hiking and exercise in the 30s/40s with a light long sleeve t-shirt and a lightweight coat or jacket is fine with me.

Old 09-15-2020, 02:10 PM

6,789 posts, read 5,518,131 times
Living in NY most of my life, my other half too, we at 57&61 are happy with hit summer s.
Each year we grow to detest winter any more.

It takes two months to adjust down to more clothes, heavier and bulkier clothes.

Summer I'm just fine in shorts and t-shirt.

This morning it was about 38, and at 10:10 when I went out to get the mail it was only 46. I had a t-shirt and flannel shirt already on, but had to add a microfleece sweater just to get the mail.

Ugh.

The 3rd week of August it suddenly turned very cool, usually that happens after labor day.

Tropical plants were brought in to the sun room.

Time to buy burlap to wrap around the rose bushes, filled with fallen leaves for the winter.

When I started to repaint the trim in the spring, the weather was perfect, but then it did get hot quickly. To hot to paint, or too humid. It doesn't work well when the paint dries before it's on the trim! Or it's too dripping wet with humidity so the paint runs!

Now it's suddenly too cold for most of the day.

We do plan in 5-10 years to move to a warmer climate. Can't be soon enough.

Ugh, 8 months of cold weather ahead...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement