Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 09:03 AM

11,201 posts, read 6,817,957 times

Advertisements

Not sure I really want an answer, but for the run-of-the-mill "managed" ("index"?) portfolio invested in safe/moderate stocks, what are the current losses, percentage-wise?

Asking for a retired friend who got nowhere with Google.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 09:09 AM

10,409 posts, read 8,109,335 times
Currently the S&P 500 is down by about 16% from it’s last high - but the numbers change on almost a daily basis, as the market has been exceptionally volatile recently (which is typical of bear markets). You can read more here: https://awealthofcommonsense.com/202...-manic-market/

Old 05-02-2020, 09:13 AM

11,303 posts, read 9,944,857 times
I don't know about the general market of investors, but my personal equities portfolio (moderately conservative mutual funds of various market segments) took a major hit during the height of the virus crisis, leaving them at the low point 69% of their previous peak value. It has now recovered to the point where my balances are at 88% of their high point, which was immediately prior to the virus. I'm just a buy and hold type person. I know the market is a roller coaster that you just have to stay on, and hold on tight.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:55 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,640,001 times
I am thankful we pulled out of the market when we did. I am also thankful my career decisions resulted in us not being dependent our investments.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:59 AM

7,265 posts, read 9,466,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Not sure I really want an answer, but for the run-of-the-mill "managed" ("index"?) portfolio invested in safe/moderate stocks, what are the current losses, percentage-wise?

Many portfolios are indexed to the S&P 500. A common index fund is SPY. That peaked at 336.95 on Feb 20. It closed at 282.53 on May 1. That's a decline of 16.15%

I don't think we're done yet. Bear markets usually have many reversals; i.e. bull traps.

This economy had many service jobs in restaurants, hotels, transportation, entertainment, and sporting events that will not come back for a long time.

If I had to guess about the stock market, I'd guess it'll go below the March lows before it finds a bottom.

Old 05-02-2020, 12:27 PM

6,684 posts, read 7,451,563 times
Pick any date in the past and compare to current price. That will tell you the change for the index you have. You should be a buy and hold investor and a 20 or 30% loss should not matter.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:08 PM

5,463 posts, read 3,103,983 times
Quote:

Not saying its you , but if a buyer is worried before they get in, it might be wiser to stay out.
Its like worrying how much money you're going to lose in Vegas, maybe best to not go there.

I bought stocks years ago, 30 years actually, I haven't looked at them for over 20 yrs.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:50 PM

5,305 posts, read 3,673,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

I don't think we're done yet. Bear markets usually have many reversals; i.e. bull traps.

This economy had many service jobs in restaurants, hotels, transportation, entertainment, and sporting events that will not come back for a long time.

If I had to guess about the stock market, I'd guess it'll go below the March lows before it finds a bottom.
This is pretty much my feeling too, if not below it may retest the March low perhaps when corporate earnings are reported in July. Businesses are withering right now. But the X Factor is the potential vaccine success & the expected return of corona contagion this autumn/winter. Oh, and throw a Presidential & Senate election into that mix, it's going to be an interesting market to watch.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:28 PM

138 posts, read 99,429 times
Lots of stuff here:

https://investor.vanguard.com/index-funds/

Old 05-02-2020, 04:33 PM

25,853 posts, read 17,619,461 times
Quote:

Scary stuff, isn't it?
I can't really answer your question, but I sure will encourage everyone to get all your "stuff" paid for and have cash in the bank.
Retire debt free if you possibly can. Keep working if you need to and are able.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement