Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 10:45 AM

131 posts, read 97,315 times

Advertisements

How true. Our local newspaper, the Arizona Republic, has had a nonstop stream or ridiculous articles, nitpicking every move that our state leaders make regarding managing the virus. Suddenly all of the writers there are pandemic experts. Why the World Health Organization has not called on their vast knowledge is stunning.

I would cancel that miserable subscription except I would never hear the end of it from my wife. She likes the food coupons and the puzzles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 10:51 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,997,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Is hypertension considered a co-morbidity in addition to a risk factor? Ie, is it really the hypertension or the various co-morbidities long standing hypertension causes (and may be undetected, particularly with untreated hypertension) that are the problem?
That's the scary part: hypertension, all by itself, increases the risk of a bad outcome in the event of a COVID-19 infection. It's not the other damage to the body that the hypertension may have caused long-term that's the problem, it's the hypertension itself.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:29 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,758,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
It seems to me that a lot of experts have popped up lately. Specifically, experts on the coronavirus, politics and the stock market. A lot of Joe six-pack types have it all figured out and I really shouldn't be listening to Dr. Fauci and Dr. Birks for coronavirus information.

Internet forums have all the vital stock market information and Sean Hannity is the only political source I need <eyeroll>

I am so grateful.
Yes, gosh the Las Vegas forum is a mess. Go take a look. On second thought, don't...spare yourselves the heartache. It will raise your blood pressure.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:31 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,241,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
That's the scary part: hypertension, all by itself, increases the risk of a bad outcome in the event of a COVID-19 infection. It's not the other damage to the body that the hypertension may have caused long-term that's the problem, it's the hypertension itself.
Interesting. I haven’t read anything about studies on risk factors, just studies on co-morbidities. That would lead me (as a person with no medical training) to ask “how are the risk factors being identified?” Are people considered hypertensive when their BP is high on admission to the hospital with coved-19(which would lead me to wonder if the high BP is actually a result of the infection) or do they have to have a documented history of high BP?

Old 03-31-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Interesting. I haven’t read anything about studies on risk factors, just studies on co-morbidities. That would lead me (as a person with no medical training) to ask “how are the risk factors being identified?” Are people considered hypertensive when their BP is high on admission to the hospital with coved-19(which would lead me to wonder if the high BP is actually a result of the infection) or do they have to have a documented history of high BP?
Documented history of hypertension, in the cases I am familiar with.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:57 PM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Quote:
Has this pandemic created a lot of experts?
Oh yes! especially all those armchair experts on social media and Internet forums

Old 03-31-2020, 01:28 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,100,032 times
Loved this thread because we got to hear from many experts just as the title implied.

Old 03-31-2020, 02:48 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,166,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
No one is completely sure, but t's by far and away the biggest single risk factor. It was initially thought that taking ACE inhibitors (a class of darug used to treat hypertension) might have been the risk factor rather than the hypertension itself, but now it looks like people with hypertension who aren't on ACE inhibitors are at equally great risk. Why hypertension is such a risk factor is one of the many mysteries of SARS-CoV-2 we haven't solved yet.
Is that controlled or uncontrolled hypertension?

Old 03-31-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Is that controlled or uncontrolled hypertension?
Both (which is scary). There's something about the fundamental pathophysiology of hypertension that COVID-19 likes (perhaps constitutionally increased levels of angiotensin-convertng enzyme 2, or some other derangement of the angiotensin-renin system, which may or may not be altered by the medications a patient is taking to treat their hypertension).

We just don't know enough yet to tease much in the way of answers out of the limited data we have. This paper offers a not-too-difficult review of what we know to date. Right now, we can't say much more than that hypertension (whether treated or untreated) is a risk factor.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:46 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times
One thing I was glad to see on C-D is a moderator of one forum posted for no more posts on the coronavirus. I used to like to get on the computer to get away from whatever's going on. But now, no matter what the forum is, it's all that's talked about. Yes, I know it's a serious deal. But it doesn't have to be every other word you type.
I'm not paranoid like a lot of these people. I get out and go to the store and I've gone fishing on a couple big lakes within 30 miles. Our governor says to get fresh air but don't congregate. Fishermen never stand within 6 feet of each other. As far as that goes, I can't even get the fish withing 6 feet of my hook! But I see no need to be paranoid. Just be careful and watch what you do and where you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement