Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 02:54 PM

2,506 posts, read 3,257,108 times

Advertisements

I live in a no-fence community. We can put up deer netting to keep them out of gardens. Growing pot is banned outdoors and indoors.

I cant say I like gated communities that much, but Ive noticed a lot less problems here and nobody cruising around at night casing our homes and vehicles to steal stuff. So you give up some things and gain some.
Nobody held a gun to my head and made me sign the HOA agreements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 07:17 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,282,561 times
I’ve heard many times that deers will not jump over a fence if they can’t see what’s behind the fence. Another option that might work for HOA gardening would be to grow inside of a screen pool cage, the type that are popular in Florida to keep the bugs out. You could grow hydroponically in 3 or 5 gallon buckets, and put the buckets inside of larger attractive decorative pots. Another option would be to build attractive wood or stone garden planters inside the screen cage.

Another method to reduce or eliminate deers which I’ve heard being done, but I don’t know if it actually works, people claim it works. Install a temporary electric fence at a low elevation. Coat the electric fence wire with salt, and run the electric fence only at night. The deers will be attracted to the salt, they will lick the salt, they will be shocked by the electric fence, then they will run away, and will not return to the area. Then the temporary electric fence charger can be disconnected and the deers will not get close to the electric fence that is not activated. The deers might avoid the area entirely for a long time.

Another option, would to add a conservatory addition to your home. The conservatory room could have mostly glass walls and a glass ceiling. Then you’d essentially have a greenhouse, but it would look much more attractive than a greenhouse, and it would much more expensive than a metal framed greenhouse wrapped in plastic, which probably wouldn’t be approved by an HOA.

If all that fails, you could grow inside you garage, basement, or a spare room hydroponically under grow lights.

Old 04-02-2020, 08:56 PM

3,443 posts, read 4,467,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Our HOA is now in survival mode not financially but in response to Corona Virus. All amenities are closed. Pools, clubhouse and gym. We have a management company that runs things with an office and staff on site. The staff is here and working. However we are not allowed to enter their office and must communicate exclusively by phone or e mail.

But assessments are not being decreased, right?

Old 04-05-2020, 04:10 PM

8,510 posts, read 6,928,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
But assessments are not being decreased, right?
They are not and I expect they will go up later this year. All amenities now closed. And it gets worse. We have an underground parking garage with a few visitors spaces for guests. Now shut down. Only allowed two guests to visit at a time. We were also advised that if one of our neighbors sees more than two guests visiting they are free to call our HOA office and our on site security patrol will ask excess guests to leave. I’m not making this up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement