Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 04:30 PM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times

Advertisements

I've always kept lists. Pads are scattered around the house.

I use a steno book in the kitchen for my shopping lists and use the 2 column to divide up stores.
I have another list of things that need doing around the house and aim to get at least one item done that week.

Others are just in my head..1st of month change a/c filter, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 07:32 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times
One thing about the magnetic weekly-planner pads is that many of them are really small, often only 5" x 8" which IMHO is just not big enough to easily write many things in for each day. The ones I buy on Amazon are 8" x 11" and have a nice amount of space beneath each day.

This is the one that's on my refrigerator at the moment, btw (pretty little birds and flowers; the one I used last year had a cute ladybug motif):

https://www.amazon.com/Flower-Wreath...75183&sr=8-145

They are $11 each which comes out to 21 cents per week. Definitely not a budget breaker. ;-)

Old 03-04-2020, 09:00 PM

1,350 posts, read 819,591 times
I have kept to-do lists all of my life. And, if I don't finish that day's list, the item(s) gets moved to the next day, and so forth.

Side Question - My Dad always kept lists for everything, which is definitely why I also do it. Watching him do it since I was a child, I must have picked up on it. Were you always a list maker, organized, learned it from a parent, etc?

Old 03-04-2020, 09:46 PM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
I have kept to-do lists all of my life. And, if I don't finish that day's list, the item(s) gets moved to the next day, and so forth.

Side Question - My Dad always kept lists for everything, which is definitely why I also do it. Watching him do it since I was a child, I must have picked up on it. Were you always a list maker, organized, learned it from a parent, etc?
Probably home and school. We had those little spiral pads at school to list our homework.
At home we had a weekly list done on Sunday night with who had which chores for the next week.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:17 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Quote:

I never make lists until my son was in Boy Scouts. He made detailed lists for things needed on trips and still does to this day, he’s very organized. I picked it up from him.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:05 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
This sounds like something I should do. I am always thinking about what I want to accomplish, but actually getting to it? weeeeeellllll....

Old 03-05-2020, 07:10 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,232,807 times
I'm a 'lister', too.

3x5 sticky pad, check boxes next to each list item that I black in when done.

It adds some structure to the day, a reminder of things I'd otherwise forget, and when the list is done (or, mostly done) I love saying "Gitter done" as finality.

Although...some items do get carried over to the next list with a muttering.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:39 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times
Quote:
Were you always a list maker, organized, learned it from a parent, etc?

Very thought-provoking question! :-) My mom never made lists, nor did my dad at home, but I honestly don't know if he made lists at work. He might have and I just never saw it because I don't think I was only inside his workplace once in my life. When I did see it, I recall that it was meticulously organized -- every single tiny part and tool in its place, and the location labeled as well. (He repaired cash registers and, later, check processing machines.) I was really surprised, because he was very laissez-faire at home and never did any repair or maintenance work! This was a source of great frustration to my mom, as you can imagine.

As a child and a teen, I never made lists. I began doing it when my then-boyfriend and I bought our house. I was 24 at the time, and because we were both working full-time it became a necessity to have some sort of organization/list for the weekends which was the only time we had to get stuff done. I did not make lists at work, because the nature of the job was more or less self-organizing LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement