Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 12:02 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,765,572 times

Advertisements

Does last summer count as lately?

Rented a 4x4 truck in Africa and spent 3 weeks on a self-drive safari. Drove 1400 miles across three countries. Camped most of the time. Saw 35 different animal species and 67 different birds. Rhinos, lions, leopards, elephants, buffalo and lots more all in their natural habitat. DW didn't want to go but encouraged me to so I went alone. One of the most memorable experiences of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 08:06 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,896,476 times
My kid sister (from NYC) has been visiting me for the past two weeks.

Worth more to me than any trip anywhere on the planet.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:19 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,643,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post
Just spent six days skiing Vail, Keystone and Breckenridge in CO. an amazing trip. Back to skiing in northern NH where I live. It'l never be the same after this trip.
Sounds wonderful. I trust you missed the huge lines at the base - the pics have been circulating the interwebs.

Last season we spent a week skiing Breck. We had a true ski-in/ski-out place. It was great, but that 10,000 foot resort base elevation takes its toll.

When you get a chance, try Deer Valley & Park City Mountain Resort in Park City Utah, along with nearby Alta, Snowbird, Brighton & Solitude, Powder Mountain & Snowbasin. We spend the winter here, less than 5 minutes from Deer Valley's base.

We started a bit late on Friday (waiting for a repairman), but it was a nice day on the slopes:

Old 03-01-2020, 09:20 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,521,460 times
A great way to experience a golf tournament is to go on an early practice day. The pros are very casual and fun. We watched a foursome on the 18th at Hilton Head, trying to see who could hit it farthest out into the bay. Winner was Vijay Singh!

Old 03-01-2020, 09:24 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,521,460 times
The lower altitude at SLC areas is a benefit. The convenience of being able to ski an hour after you land is also a big deal. Touring the Mormon choir on Wednesday for a good break is a key part of a great vacation week.

Old 03-01-2020, 12:02 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,239,181 times
Smile Been there also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
A great way to experience a golf tournament is to go on an early practice day. The pros are very casual and fun. We watched a foursome on the 18th at Hilton Head, trying to see who could hit it farthest out into the bay. Winner was Vijay Singh!
Very true - and he could and would have done that but just joined my business part time and we are slammed! So, no way!

Really great idea too!

Old 03-01-2020, 12:04 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,239,181 times
Smile Sounds awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Sounds wonderful. I trust you missed the huge lines at the base - the pics have been circulating the interwebs.

Last season we spent a week skiing Breck. We had a true ski-in/ski-out place. It was great, but that 10,000 foot resort base elevation takes its toll.

When you get a chance, try Deer Valley & Park City Mountain Resort in Park City Utah, along with nearby Alta, Snowbird, Brighton & Solitude, Powder Mountain & Snowbasin. We spend the winter here, less than 5 minutes from Deer Valley's base.

We started a bit late on Friday (waiting for a repairman), but it was a nice day on the slopes:
Both my kids have been here. My brother has a home in Deer Valley and I hope to eventually get out there!!

Old 03-01-2020, 06:02 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
This has been a low key winter.

I usually take a winter vacation for a four or five day weekend to Florida. That didn't happen due to a busy work schedule and the fact that the direct flight to Tampa was removed from our local airport.

I've been to several good concerts, and a lot of local college basketball games. I'm planning on going to the regional college basketball tournament next weekend and maybe a concert in Asheville.

Old 03-01-2020, 06:10 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,990 times
We had 2 free birthday dinners at Golden Corral.

Old 03-01-2020, 06:45 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
My son just had a birthday and instead of just giving him a check or a gift card, I decided to give him (and a friend) a day to experience a fun event.

I got him tickets for one day to the Honda Classic (golf tournament) and he is very excited to go.

I started thinking about it and I was wishing my husband and I were going but we have work commitments.

Anyone had any great experiences lately to share?
I woke up this morning feeling the little 14 month boy that has been staying at my house pulling on my blankets. His Mommy and Daddy send him in my room when the first pot of coffee is ready to wake me up. What a great way to start the day. Little ones are so precious and helping them along the way is a legacy that lasts forever. I can't wait for the warmer days to get here so I can take the 14 month old little one and his big 6 YO brother fishing. T-ball, swimming lessons and fishing? Heaven on Earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement