Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 09:22 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times

Advertisements

Been retired 20+ years and main goal is getting my feet planted on the floor every morning when I get up. Next is trying to manage several health issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 09:42 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
I want to lose 20 pounds this year even with all my traveling and eating. I just lost all of my weight gain from my Hawaii trip.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:07 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I had accomplished many major goals before retirement: getting my degrees, establishing my career, getting certificates/ratings for my main hobbies of flying, scuba diving, coaching rowing, taking several big adventure trips, helping my daughter to become a vet and saving enough money to be comfortable in retirement.

I don’t set goals in retirement but have many plans and projects. There are many interesting trips which we want to take (exploring many parts of Western states by air, flying in Alaska, visiting more countries + maybe taking language immersion courses to learn or become more proficient in French, Spanish and Italian, visiting few more international vineyards).

It may take a while but I would like to recruit, train rowers and form a small, informal rowing club. We bought a double sculling boat to teach rowing and a fishing boat which can also be used as a coach launch. I have several prospective students and could hardly wait to train them when the weather gets nicer this year.

We have many home and landscape improvement projects in our new home.

We cut down dozen of invasive or nuisance trees (Russian olive/Grease wood) inside the fenced property area and replaced them with native trees (Serviceberry, Hawthorn, Dogwood, Ponderosa, Douglas Fir and Spruce). We restored and expanded the flower gardens. We added hundreds of spring flower bulbs & dozens of rose bushes. We also started a mini vineyard and a small orchard (have 12 trees and will expand to at least 20). I also plan to build few more raise garden beds to quadruple the size of the vegetable garden which I started last spring.

We created several walking/hiking trails all around the property and down to the river. We had just finished the 2nd outdoor stairs and are working on the 3rd one. It takes a lot of work moving dirt, rocks, removing stumps & roots but it is also a lot of fun. We will add stones of various shapes (native or interesting ones like the ones with fossils) to part of our walkways. Our vision is to make our yard to become more like an intimate nature park.

It was not our goal or plan to become a vintner but we ran into another vineyard owner at a grape growing seminar last year. He started a small winery and invited us to become their partners. We made our first batch of wine (55 gallons Syrah) last fall. I am having a lot of fun being an analytical chemist again after almost 40 years. Our Syrah has aged only 2 months but it has already tasted great. We will be making several more types of wines this year. We will also help our partner with planting few more grape varieties.

It is also not a formal goal but we have always wanted to learn more about flora, fauna, history and geology of our new state. We took several classes last year (birding by ears & master naturalist program). We also volunteer at the nearby National Wildlife Refuge and get to know several biologists. They have collected lots of data on birds, insects, plants and lake quality/algal bloom over the years. I am thinking of working with them to analyze the data which may lead to some research reports/papers.
We have also offered our web, photography and videography experience to several nature organizations which we have joined. I was invited to become members of several boards (historian, communication coordinator and member-at-large for special projects). There are several potential documentary film projects to do.

There are so many things to do and learn. It's hard for me to understand why some retirees are bored. I enjoyed my work life but also my retirement life. While the nature of many projects that we are doing is completely different from our work experience, we find ourselves apply our 'work' skills to many of them. I still think of myself as a scientist and an engineer and always a learner.
Your gardening endeavors sounds awesome! Any photos to share? Do you have any in gardening thread?

Old 02-25-2020, 11:13 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
None. What joy.

Old 02-26-2020, 03:19 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Haha, that’s my short term goal too. Make sure I survive Europe for 2.5 months.
Yeah, wondering if we'll get stuck here in Spain, Portugal or Greece. Not that I'd mind...

Bucket list done long ago thankfully. Physically arduous. I used to have big goals, but they're done now.

Retirement = Relax

Old 02-26-2020, 05:58 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
I don't have hard goals, as in do X, Y and Z or my life was a failure.

But I have some ideas of things: keep learning new stuff, build more furniture, add to our tree farm, see more of the world, see new birds and wildlife, and have fun. All of those are works in progress that won't be done before I die because there is always more to do and see. So I just keep plugging away at it. It's all good, having tons of fun.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:11 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
76, going on 77, my knee objective is to stay alive and be happy at it.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:25 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
We’re almost 70 and 72 and our main goals are to stay healthy by having regular checkups, and promptly fixing what is fixable. Other than that, we try to only do what we want, when we want.

Right now, we each have our own separate interests, so we are out in the world, and have things to talk about besides our latest ache and pain. DH has a part time job, loves his projects and yard, and I have a few volunteer jobs.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:33 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,664,353 times
My only goal is to go to bed each night and think "I had a really nice day today".

Old 02-26-2020, 08:48 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Your gardening endeavors sounds awesome! Any photos to share? Do you have any in gardening thread?
Attached are few photos of our flowers and trees taken last May.

I have been only a reader and not a poster at gardening forum because we have a lot of things to learn about gardening/landscaping in the West. I plan to enroll in the Master Gardening next year to know more about native plants/trees/bugs and what grow best in Southwestern Idaho.
Attached Thumbnails
For those of you over 65 and fully retired, what major goals do you still want to achieve before you die?-lavender-rose.jpg   For those of you over 65 and fully retired, what major goals do you still want to achieve before you die?-dianthus.jpg   For those of you over 65 and fully retired, what major goals do you still want to achieve before you die?-lavender.jpg   For those of you over 65 and fully retired, what major goals do you still want to achieve before you die?-irises-lower-garden.jpg   For those of you over 65 and fully retired, what major goals do you still want to achieve before you die?-peonies-peach-tree.jpg  

For those of you over 65 and fully retired, what major goals do you still want to achieve before you die?-cherry-tree.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement