Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 12:01 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
We were talked into having oral cancer screening done few years back. Neither our dental nor health insurance paid for the procedure.

I checked on the necessity/effectiveness of oral cancer screening and decided that it was just another money making scheme from the dental offices. None of the oral cancer risk factors applied to us and the effectiveness of the screening in detecting or preventing oral cancer have not been proven. So we declined subsequent recommendations to have this screening done

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pro...t/pac-20394802
Our dentist had it available for an additional $15 so it seemed a reasonable expense. If it doesn't work, well, it isn't that big of an investment. But if it does work, it would be really good to know.

Teeth do seem to be a way to sort folks by early life economic status. If they had a higher economic status, generally they get braces and such so they end up with straight teeth as adults. Lower economic households have a tendency to not only have crooked teeth (there may be something about excessive sugar in children and crooked teeth?) but not as white of teeth as well. Either that or they're from England. The whole country of England seems to have less than blindingly white teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 01:43 PM

1,348 posts, read 707,762 times
lots of them bad teeth since a kid bit of it all here

Old 02-14-2020, 04:20 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I was just at the dentist today for the second half of a deep cleaning and my hygienist was giving me the latest dental procedures available out there. She was telling me how much oral hygiene matters for overall health, especially for heart issues and such. She likes the water pics for cleaning as well as some sort of pro-biotic tablets that folks can take before going to bed. That was around $80 for a three month supply and after the first three months, then just several times a week is enough to keep the good bacteria going. She was also a fan of brushing with baking soda, which is much less of an expensive option than the pro-biotics.

They also had a new cancer screening light for checking for oral cancers and the whole dentist's office had gone to several conferences as well as seminars on various dental updates and procedures. She was pretty excited about all the new tech out there for teeth. She wasn't a new and shiny hygienist, either, so it seemed several large steps forward in health care that's now available in our small town.
Brushing with baking soda only? Or in addition to regular toothpaste which has floride.?

Old 02-14-2020, 06:49 PM

8,343 posts, read 6,435,284 times
I'm the OP, thanks everyone for your response and advice. I'd like to keep my dentist but I know in the future sometime he is going to insist I need another deep cleaning. Current plans are to put it off and put it off and see what he says.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:56 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,453,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I'm the OP, thanks everyone for your response and advice. I'd like to keep my dentist but I know in the future sometime he is going to insist I need another deep cleaning. Current plans are to put it off and put it off and see what he says.
It really is YOUR choice. You hired him - you can fire him.

We recently retired and with our Dental Cobra moved to California. Holy Molar. It was “recommended” that I get a “deep cleaning” (CHA-CHING! can you hear the cash registers??) by a dentist I visited. I have been religious with my flossing and seeing my dentist every 6 months back in the state we moved from.

It’s about the money - not about your care. RUN and find another dentist.

A good dentist does not recommend procedures you do not need.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:06 AM

572 posts, read 326,187 times
I get it twice spend 150 each time and i think its worth the dental and oral health.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:38 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,903,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
It really is YOUR choice. You hired him - you can fire him.

We recently retired and with our Dental Cobra moved to California. Holy Molar. It was “recommended” that I get a “deep cleaning” (CHA-CHING! can you hear the cash registers??) by a dentist I visited. I have been religious with my flossing and seeing my dentist every 6 months back in the state we moved from.

It’s about the money - not about your care. RUN and find another dentist.

A good dentist does not recommend procedures you do not need.
Who exactly should determine what you need, if not the dentist? I agree that everyone should be a smart consumer, and not agree to procedures blindly. If you need that deep cleaning, they should be able to show you why.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:34 AM

957 posts, read 538,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I had a dentist (before this one) who insisted I needed 'deep cleaning' (I think its called 'deep root planing) - Ive had it done several times (I have very soft teeth due to an illness when I was a child).

I moved and had to change dentists. THIS dentist instead had me get this thing I hooked up in my shower called an 'H2oral irrigator' (its like one of those water piks but it uses the shower water). I started using it (its been about 3 years now) and ALL my deep pockets went from 13s and 14s down to 3s and 4s. No need for deep cleaning!

The device costs $21. He gave me the first one.. and then I bought the subsequent ones on Amazon. When I first started it, I was at risk of losing a tooth because the 'bands' holding that tooth were riddled with stuff that ate away at it. 3 years later I still have that tooth AND the bands grew back and reattached.

I think it depends on the dentist... if they are a PROactive dentist.. or a REactive dentist.

Kacey

Old 04-04-2020, 08:35 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,084,030 times
After completing chemotherapy, which was good because the chemo killed the problem, but it left me with Advanced Periodontitis (gum disease - what used to be known as Pyorrhea). As I expressed a desire to hold on to my natural teeth as long as I can, I was told I should have deep cleanings every 3 months by my Periodontist. My insurance doesn't cover for cleanings that often, and at least where I am, the better providers don't take my insurance because it doesn't really pay much.

I guess the question is, do you have a diagnosis that would require you need deep cleaning often? Followed by, how strong is your desire to hold on to your natural teeth?

You should also take into consideration how much effort you put into brushing and flossing. Some people want to maintain their teeth, but become negligent from time to time in their personal oral hygiene. There is really no point in pouring a lot of money into dental procedures if you are not going to be dedicated in maintaining what the provider does.

And yes. Money is a factor too. We can live without teeth. Its not socially positive to be toothless, and it does make eating more of a challenge, but I don't think many people have died from having no teeth. You can just save up enough to cover full dentures and call it a day. Bare in mind, dentures require a learning curve, and a dedication to getting used to them.

Edit: I would add that once you lose your teeth, bone loss becomes greater faster. This changes the shape of your face slowly over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement