Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 01:22 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
HAH!! But golly - a 50% penalty is a huge price to pay.

https://www.investopedia.com/article.../05/011005.asp

Absolutely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 01:32 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Annually. I set spouse up with a GLWB Annuity. The withdrawal from these two accounts is sufficient for many, many years to where the remaining two IRA accounts may never be touched.
Same here - it 'kills two birds with one stone' since the annual annuity income anyway comes in anyway.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:25 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I take my RMD's annually (from Fidelity) and have them withhold 10% for taxes. I then put the RMD's in a Vanguard Fund. Fidelity from which a draw a monthly check. Fidelity will not do an electronic funds transfer to Vanguard.
Annually, but depends on the year. I only have inherited Fidelity IRAs with required RMDs so far. Up until this year I've let what's left after withholding accumulate in my own Fidelity cash account. This year took them directly to help pay a big medical bill. I know my Dad wanted to do something nice for his kids, but anything that could be done simply he had to make complicated. Instead of leaving one IRA he had to leave 5, including a couple of Roths, from 3 different sources with differing stipulations.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:54 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,816,761 times
Monthly with Fido withholding taxes @50% to help offset other (untaxed) income.
It evens out my cash flow and thus works well for me.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:10 PM
PVW

287 posts, read 164,927 times
Inherited IRA. I take it in January, pay the taxes owed on it then allocate the remainder among different savings accounts where I budget towards expenses throughout the year.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:46 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,367,944 times
I have 7 more years to make a decision about RMDs, now that the age to begin has been raised to 72. Thanks to all that posted comments in this thread, it is interesting to read what others have said and done.

I will probably use part of my annual RMD to pay taxes, especially since RMDs will push my tax liability way up there. My total annual taxable retirement income when I start taking RMDs will exceed my highest gross annual earned income when I was working! It is not such a bad problem to have.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:54 PM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
You can take out the money for the March bills and let the rest grow (or decrease in a bear market) until year end.

The answer depends on how you want to use the money.

When to start taking the money depends on your needs and possibly minimizing taxes through out your retirement.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:15 PM

998 posts, read 1,236,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I have 7 more years to make a decision about RMDs, now that the age to begin has been raised to 72. Thanks to all that posted comments in this thread, it is interesting to read what others have said and done.

I will probably use part of my annual RMD to pay taxes, especially since RMDs will push my tax liability way up there. My total annual taxable retirement income when I start taking RMDs will exceed my highest gross annual earned income when I was working! It is not such a bad problem to have.
I was reading an interesting article yesterday, either online or on this site. They were talking about not waiting until you had to take money out because of your exact problem; the amount of money would be large enough it would put them into the next tax bracket.

So they came up with a calculator (I forget if it's something they found online or if they made something in Excel) that let them figure out how much they could take out without bumping them into the next bracket.

They could invest the money and theoretically end up with more after tax money in the long run (by taking a little $$$ early.

Long-winded explanation I know but I'm sure you get the idea.

Old 01-28-2020, 02:53 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,661,274 times
80% of RMD paid over a 12 month period with the remaining 20% in December all taxed at 15%.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:22 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I take my RMD's annually (from Fidelity) and have them withhold 10% for taxes. I then put the RMD's in a Vanguard Fund. Fidelity from which a draw a monthly check. Fidelity will not do an electronic funds transfer to Vanguard.
OOPS..CORRECTION

I take my RMD's annually (from Fidelity) and have them withhold 10% for taxes. I then put the RMD's in a Vanguard Wellington Fund, from which I draw a monthly check. Fidelity will not do an electronic funds transfer to Vanguard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement