Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 08:25 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,945,150 times

Advertisements

We went on some Carabean cruises when younger bu I no longer want to leave the country in the event of a medical emergency.

I don't want to suffer a heart attack off the coast of Haiti. Guess I am getting older and paying more attention to the what if's in this life.

I think we will stay with an Alaskan cruise or one of the river cruises we are starting to see.

Sort of looking at the Mississippi River, Ohio River and Columbia River.

Yes, the Danube looks good but that is not going to happen.

Anyone over 60 have any experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2019, 08:36 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,999,941 times
I’ve heard good things about the Columbia River cruises, but have never done one.

I wouldn’t rule out European river cruises, though. Health care in Europe is fine. You just need to have insurance that will cover you while you are there.

Old 12-26-2019, 01:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,753 posts, read 58,116,312 times
We hjave had several guests stay with us while doing Columbia River Sternwheeler Cruise, there is a lot to see within 2 hrs of Portland, OR (before and after cruise). Northern OR coast, Mt St Helens, Mt Hood, Rainier NP, Gardens.... lots of gardens!

I think a private LONG distance Columbia / Snake River Cruise would be fascinating.

Columbia River Gorge - The Seven Wonders of Washington State
https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/crgnsa/...istory-culture.

You might find some unique river cruises on smaller rivers in Midwest. / East (Hudson, Potomac R...)
St Lawrence cruise is another option. (As is eastern Seaboard / Maritime Provinces.)

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/a...ing/index.html
https://www.travelzoo.com/blog/yes-r...-s-heres-need/

If you decide to go further from USA, there is always travel insurance ~$100 / month. Air evac for medical care is available on some policies. Much of the world has as good or better healthcare than USA, but no where else is as expensive as USA!. https://www.patientsbeyondborders.com/

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-26-2019 at 01:17 AM..

Old 12-26-2019, 01:45 AM

44,640 posts, read 61,661,969 times
We did the Columbia River cruise, it was an expensive ($8000.00+) joke. The scenery was drab, the few stops were so so, people only got excited when going through the small locks, but after a dozen of them it got boring. Food was good and you sat at assigned tables, some had a view, not so hot crowded seating entertainment with the same people entertaining every night. Cabin was very cramped.
Ocean cruises are far better, cheaper and more entertaining and things to do. Plus not so cramped space everywhere and also there are much better sites to see.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:03 AM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times
I'm not sure how good the scenery would be for a cruise along the Ohio. Especially in the spring, it tends to be muddy and just not that pretty of a ride.

I've done a couple day rides in sections between Cincinnati and Louisville. I really like the area for a day trip, but I can't imagine doing a cruise there.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:16 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,006,908 times
My husband and I once did a lower Mississippi River cruise starting and ending in New Orleans. The New Orleans part was great, the cruise itself not so much. Lots of views of fuel refineries, and not-great food.

OP, have you considered a New England-Canada cruise? I did one of those with a friend, and it's like a regular ocean cruise except with stops only in New England and eastern Canada.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:36 AM

2,021 posts, read 3,198,837 times
How about a cruise to Alaska from Seattle? My mother did that at the age of 82.

I know of a disabled woman in her 70s (wheelchair bound) who went there with her caretaker.

Oops, after re-reading the title "River", I guess this does not pertain.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:25 AM

92 posts, read 99,499 times
Do they still have the Windjammer cruises off the New England coast often in sailing ships like schooners? Those used to be advertised a lot in Yankee magazine.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:31 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,981,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smpliving View Post
How about a cruise to Alaska from Seattle? My mother did that at the age of 82.

I know of a disabled woman in her 70s (wheelchair bound) who went there with her caretaker.

Oops, after re-reading the title "River", I guess this does not pertain.
The OP said he was open to an Alaskan cruise, so you're good.

An Inside Passage cruise is an excellent idea. I've done it, what, five or six times now. I never get tired of the scenery and the wildlife. The best itineraries include a day in Glacier Bay.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:44 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,672,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The OP said he was open to an Alaskan cruise, so you're good.

An Inside Passage cruise is an excellent idea. I've done it, what, five or six times now. I never get tired of the scenery and the wildlife. The best itineraries include a day in Glacier Bay.
We did a 10 day positioning cruise from Seattle to Juneau on a small ship several years ago; there were about 60 passengers. Had a great time as we could duck into places that the big ships could not go and everything seemed more up close and personal. Getting off and on for doing things ashore was a breeze. Our goal is to do the same thing again in spring or autumn of 2021. Looking at a vessel that has about 35 passengers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement