Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 09:32 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,460,528 times

Advertisements

We have moved many times - from state to state over the course of our 30+ year relationship/marriage.

Every place we have moved has been better - or an upgrade - from the prior home.

Making new memories sometimes is more fun than living in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 10:35 AM

43,306 posts, read 18,428,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
We have moved many times - from state to state over the course of our 30+ year relationship/marriage.

Every place we have moved has been better - or an upgrade - from the prior home.

Making new memories sometimes is more fun than living in the past.
I agree absolutely about that; making new memories rather then just living with re-runs of your past.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:28 AM

13,907 posts, read 8,092,523 times
Sold family home earlier this year. No sentimental value.

Childhood wasn't a particularly pleasant and I moved on years ago.

Old 12-03-2019, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 580 times
Your story is so familiar. When my father in law died, his 10 children sold the house and not without conflict. One evening my husband came home from a "family meeting" about the sale and told me an object was thrown at someone's head and the thrower was banned from ever stepping foot again in the target's home. They haven't spoken since and it's been 6 years. This is the theme of most family events involving someone's passing. One person always gets offended about not receiving what he/she thinks he/she ought to get and that subunit of the family falls away and won't ever speak to the other family members again. This has happened in my mother's family. She has lived in the same small town for 90 years and hardly speaks to anyone because of all the falling away of family members. It will be interesting to see how things go when it comes time to sell my mother's house. I have only one brother and we get along, but probably because I rarely see him as he lives out of the country. My mother will probably make me promise on her death bed to never sell the house to cousin so-and-so who lives right next door. The family is such a mess and that is the main reason I had no desire to stay in that town or even in that state. I will happily sell that house and be glad not to have to venture to that Podunk town ever again and hopefully someone will buy it. The town is one of those dying towns -- the local elementary school where I attended closed because of lack of children, the Catholic Church hasn't had a pastor for 6 months and cut back on Masses, the mall shut down. Why would anyone want to move there?

Old 12-03-2019, 09:15 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,303,085 times
Well since people have been so sentimental - I posted a pic of the family mansion from 1951 to our family group chat

Started sharing memories etc.

I thought well, maybe we can pool our resources together, fix it up and keep it as a family gathering place. You know when someone comes to visit, they can stay there. We can have our Christmas, Easter and other celebrations there. What about it?

Crickets - so much for the sentimental value. I thought it was a good idea. There is plenty of space in the house. Plenty of space in the yard. I would say maybe 20K would do it. Nada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement