Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 06:54 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
California Organ Donation Registry now requires you to "opt-out" since January 2019. So unless you've taken steps to Opt Out, your organs are free game. Yikes, that's scary!

https://www.ccsls.org/2019/01/17/new...rgan-donation/
Here is the main organ donation site where you find your state, it will take you to the state site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 03:29 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,758,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
What happens if person dies away from home, but has no contact information in case of death or emergency?
I do not have a password/passcode on my cell phone. I also have some contacts listed as family. Hopefully if I am found dead somewhere, the authorities will call them. Me, I will not be caring.....LOL

Old 12-03-2019, 02:22 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,579,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
California Organ Donation Registry now requires you to "opt-out" since January 2019. So unless you've taken steps to Opt Out, your organs are free game. Yikes, that's scary!

https://www.ccsls.org/2019/01/17/new...rgan-donation/
Holy $hit. Thanks for pointing this out. I just checked my CA Driver's License. It says: DONOR (in very small print). I just put a sticker on the back of my license: DONOR = NO. I signed and dated it.

I just opted-out of everything online. I hope when they find me wrapped around a tree but still breathing, someone takes the time to check my updated donor profile.

I'll be renewing my Driver's License next year. I need to be more careful with that DONOR option.

Here's how to update your donor profile in CA:

https://register.donatelifecalifornia.org/profile/login

Last edited by cruitr; 12-03-2019 at 02:38 AM..

Old 12-03-2019, 07:02 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Here is the main organ donation site where you find your state, it will take you to the state site
I posted this main site on my FB wall, a few people replied they're already an organ donor on their license so why would they need to register. I told them that if they had an accident where they did not have their license, they could easily be found in the registry; so they all registered with their state.

I've actually done it before but it did not save my information. I even put the last 4 of my social and my drivers license number. When I went back later, all the info I added was gone. I just logged in, my info is back on it. So weird

Last edited by Roselvr; 12-03-2019 at 07:25 AM..

Old 12-07-2019, 12:45 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,262,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Not me. I'm afraid they'd start organ harvesting a little too early.
LOL, I'm not worried. I just hope I'm dead when they say I'm dead.

Old 12-07-2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I do not have a password/passcode on my cell phone. I also have some contacts listed as family. Hopefully if I am found dead somewhere, the authorities will call them. Me, I will not be caring.....LOL
LOL, I can assure myself that I won't know about it when I die. But the anxiety is now. At least I have an appointment (finally) with an attorney who specializes in wills and older people. We don't have a lot of money saved but still I want to make sure as many loose ends are tied. Meantime I just bought an insurance policy for accidents. Since I am having trouble walking, and so does my husband, I feel a little less nervous since I bought the insurance.

Old 12-07-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
When away from home, I wear a rubber wristband with a medical plate that has 3 lines of info. One line has my daughter's name and cell number.
That's definitely a thought, thanks for sharing. May I ask where you got it?

Old 12-07-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
That's the thing, if you're mugged of your wallet, purse, cell then they need to ID you. It doesn't happen often but it does happen or we wouldn't have as many Does as we do
That's what I was thinking. And you're reminding me I have to go to BestBuy to figure out how to secure my phone if it's stolen or lost.

Old 12-07-2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
We carry cards that show the funeral home with which we've made arrangements and in turn, the funeral home has the contact information of our sons.
Not sure there's anything else we can do.
I'm thinking it would be easier just to have a bank account with the money ready for a burial or cremation. Because what if a person is traveling away from home, the body has to be transported maybe -- and although we bought a pre-arrangement burial plan, I can see problems. (It's a mess.)

Old 12-07-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
They end up in a coffee can in the basement until someone shows up to claim the ashes. If nobody does, someone will dig a hole and put a cheap marker over the spot with a case number and name if known.
(LOL.) But what happens to insurance policies, and money in the bank for beneficiaries if no ID has been made?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement