Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 11:28 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times

Advertisements

Saw this fascinating video and immediately thought of some of you. Nothing like what people stereotypically think when discussing the 50s. I was floored by the diverse group of students, thoughts expressed, and overall attitudes reflected by all in the video.

Do some of you see your teenaged self in these students?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 03:43 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Saw this fascinating video and immediately thought of some of you. Nothing like what people stereotypically think when discussing the 50s. I was floored by the diverse group of students, thoughts expressed, and overall attitudes reflected by all in the video.

Do some of you see your teenaged self in these students?
I graduated from high school in 1956.

The video certainly reflected the thoughts and decisions of a number of my cousins and my classmates. I came from a prosperous small town (5,000) with light industries, but it was set in farming countryside. There were two cities (Rochester and Buffalo, NY) with populations of more than 100,000 not far away - 25 miles and 45 miles. The school "system" was one grade school and one high school, but the latter was academically superior to the schools in villages of a similar size, and was visited and studied by people from other schools. My family was for most of my youth in the lower end of the working class. Both at the time, and looking back. I think we had it all....though, fortunately, our lives were not cutsey Leave It to Beaver or Father Knows Best slick. It was a wonderful place to grow up in, but it certainly also had rough edges and sharp points.

My three maternal cousins were brought up on a farm in the hill country to the south of my village, and went to school in a town there. The two boys wanted to be farmers and started their post-high school lives that way, their sister married the son of a farmer, and he worked in a rural feed store. One of the guys couldn't make it as a farmer, but discovered that he had some amazing talents and spent his life working in the U.S. space program. (He was an absolute sponge for any technical education he received in adult life!)

I had scads of paternal cousins in one of the nearby metro areas, and they all went college.

Our school set college as the goal, and many parents wanted that for their kids as well. My graduation class was about eighty-five. A very large percentage started out at some type of higher education after high school - I can remember the local newspaper remarked on what an usually high number it was. But some quit after a year or two and came back to work in the village.

Because our village had several small factories as well as businesses, the classmates who did not go to college or tried it and left were able to find work in these, or in one of the nearby cities. A good number of my high school classmates were from farm families, and a few did not try college but became farmers.

The publicity I received for our 50th class reunion said that almost half of the members of my graduation class still lived withing fifty miles of our hometown. But as I recall, most of us who began college did finish.

I probably would have had to go to a low tuition state college or school based on my family's income. However, I won a competitive scholarship which paid my tuition and a supplementary one that paid my room and board, and I went to a private university. My ideas about education and my future were largely a combination of those of two of the participants in the film.

One one hand, I thought that you were supposed to get an education that prepared you for a specific occupation and that occupation would be one that would raise your socio-economic status above that of your parents. (More than twenty-five percent of my class had parents or grandparents who were immigrants, and the idea of social class advancement as a goal in life was very acceptable.) On the other hand, our high school was very sophisticated academically, so the idea of getting a broad education which would give you a better understanding of our culture and the world was also firmly implanted in my mind. (One of the girls in the film is an advocate of this point of view.)

[An aside: I took a vocationally oriented major in the university, but the program required that you take a second major - preferably in Liberal Arts - in addition. So, I got to pursue each of the high school ideals of what you went to college for.]

The last I knew I was one of the - if not, the - most statistically atypical of our class. But only because I live the farthest away from our hometown, and in a foreign country.

The most atypical in a much more meaningful way is the class "loser." He was the son of one of my father's best friends. He had zero interest in school subjects - any school subject. He was always academically in the bottom part of our class. He was a friendly guy and did not give any indication of having any learning disabilities, he just seemed massively bored by school. He was the only person in my class who failed to qualify for either the state secondary school diploma or the local school district diploma. He received a "certificate of attendance." What I learned informally from the person who sent me the 50th class reunion material was that he had become very successful in business and was probably the wealthiest of our classmates.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:37 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile I found this very interesting

From an early age, we were told we would go to college (female here).

I never was made to feel that any careers were off limits but I graduated HS in the 70's - way different.

I loved the comment from the guy saying he felt children were important to have and he seemed quite confident and happy about that statement. Comfortable in his own skin.

Shocking that only 1/3 went to college.

My parents both had MBA's - my mom graduated from the University of Chicago in 1947 with an MBA.
My dad graduated in the 1950's.

My mom would have been a different thinker for her time.

Old 11-28-2019, 02:32 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
I graduated from high school in 1956. Worked my senior year in a cotton mill. I thought I would probably work in the mill the rest of my life, like my dad, brother and neighbors. Cotton mills were all there was. After I graduated, I worked almost a year and ultimately had an argument with my supervisor, ending with me quitting. Guess what , there were no jobs available . I was slightly interested in radio and tv repair, and decided to join some branch of the services. I eliminated the Air Force, as they didn’t givve you a choice of fields. Same thing with the Navy. The US Army offered “Get Choice Not Chance†if you enlisted for three years. I decided on the Army and enlisted for three years. They sent me to the school I chose and thus began my career in the electronics field. I served from 1957 to 1960 , 15 months in the frozen chosen and got out prior to the Vietnam conflict starting. How lucky can you get?

Old 11-28-2019, 04:43 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
I came from an area where 85% of the high school graduates went on to college so I have a hard time relating to the attitudes expressed in the video. Sadly it seems a great many people cling to the same sorts of attitudes from the video. Then they complain that some jobs are not paying a "living wage." Scratching dirt as a farm worker would certainly be an example. Others of us grew up expecting to have to work hard for years to get an education and then to work for years more gaining experience and developing a career path.

Old 11-28-2019, 05:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

My parents both had MBA's - my mom graduated from the University of Chicago in 1947 with an MBA.
My dad graduated in the 1950's.

My mom would have been a different thinker for her time.
Which Fortune 500 corporation did she end up running?

Old 11-28-2019, 06:10 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile She did not....

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Which Fortune 500 corporation did she end up running?
I wish (LOL) - she got a job at a university, met my dad there and she was 34 when she got married; he was 27.

She had kids into her 40's which was unheard back then.

No one knew her age - except close friends who may have asked.

At her 70th birthday party, her friends were invited and months later, she said to me that is was a lovely party but her friends had no idea her age. Most of her friends were around 55. (It was the only time she mentioned it and then I knew it did bother her).

That would stand to reason since all of us grew up with those kids.

She gave up her career, became a SAHM and loved the years of having her children and making a home.
She, however, spoke fondly of her college years always.

Definitely not a conformist; had her own mind. Always.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:30 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
"...they want to build more rockets and stuff, but they're not willing to do anything about it [the cost of tuition putting college out of reach for some]". Hitting the nail on the head! Still relevant today. But Sputnik (a 50's phenom) changed that to some extent; suddenly there was money to support science in the schools, and science majors in universities.

I couldn't hear who the "they" were, that she was talking about, at 4:57 in the video, as being responsible for the high cost of college educations.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:26 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
Before or after October 4, 1957? Before "Sputnik", those of us studying science looked forward to a lifetime of pure science. The next morning, it was made clear to us that we were now committed to a politically motivated race to catch up, and pure science was in the back seat. We were to be tools in the hands of the state, to do its bidding. Quickly.

I was just starting second of university.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:19 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Interesting one from 1930 nearly 90 years ago.

In the 50's we were thinking of the same things and when you think about it only 20 years separate 1930 from 1950.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement