Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 09:15 AM

1,007 posts, read 631,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Steak. Way overrated in my palate's opinion. I still enjoy the flavor that certain cuts of beef give to things like stews, but steak as steak? Wouldn't miss it in the slightest.
Same here, not a big beef fan let alone steak. My husband likes it so he will cook it and I’ll have a tiny bit so he doesn’t get upset, haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 09:16 AM

1,007 posts, read 631,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Fast food. Easy.
Gave this up long ago In fact we very rarely eat out at a restaurant because we like to cook our own meals knowing exactly what is in them.

Old 11-09-2019, 11:00 AM

1,763 posts, read 1,185,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I was behind a lady in line at the grocery store buying 2 big bags of sugar. I was thinking...."Wow, I don't think I've actually bought a bag of sugar in over a year". The only thing I ever use it for is very occasional baking of pumpkin bread or something like that. A one pound box lasts me over 6 months.
That woman used to be me! Especially this time of year, I was making 4 different kinds of fudge, caramels, peanut brittle, divinity. Plus 10 different kinds of cookies, caramel rolls and some pies.

Now I make half a batch of cookies about 10 times a year and that's pretty much it for the sugar. I think I'll make some walnut fudge this year, but that's unusual. It's been several years since I made any candy.

Getting back to the topic of this thread, I love my cookies, but if someone gave me a good reason not to eat another grain of sugar, I wouldn't cry over it.

So I "could" give up any single food for the remainder of my life. The older I've gotten, the less I feel like I must have the most delicious food on a daily basis.

Old 11-09-2019, 11:31 AM

50,694 posts, read 64,867,932 times
Chicken. Sure, it’s versatile and relatively good for you, but to me it doesn’t have much flavor. I wouldn’t miss it.

Also rice. It tastes like nothing.

Old 11-09-2019, 03:51 PM

6,797 posts, read 5,569,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazz View Post
Salmon. Unless it's first-run Copper River ($30 a lb.) Have no idea why people like this mushy fish so much, especially women.
Then it's been overcooked, or is the "fake salmon" they use as salmon ( I forget which fish they pass off as salmon)..

It should be firm and flake apart, not be ",mushy" to use your word.

We love salmon, but don't like the price...even if the fake salmon....

I also love sword, mahi mahi, tuna, and catfish occasionally.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:03 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,394,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Kale: Best served with olive oil so it is easier to scrape into the trash.
This is hilarious. But I shared it with some friends and they had seen it before. Attribution is important and necessary, even if you don't know the source. Acknowledge that it isn't yours and attribute it to "unknown" or "anonymous". Don't take credit where it isn't due. I take back my rep!

Old 11-09-2019, 04:23 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,220,672 times
Kale and salads. All 'healthy' food that doesn't taste good.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:28 PM

12,110 posts, read 10,418,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
That woman used to be me! Especially this time of year, I was making 4 different kinds of fudge, caramels, peanut brittle, divinity. Plus 10 different kinds of cookies, caramel rolls and some pies.

Now I make half a batch of cookies about 10 times a year and that's pretty much it for the sugar. I think I'll make some walnut fudge this year, but that's unusual. It's been several years since I made any candy.

Getting back to the topic of this thread, I love my cookies, but if someone gave me a good reason not to eat another grain of sugar, I wouldn't cry over it.

So I "could" give up any single food for the remainder of my life. The older I've gotten, the less I feel like I must have the most delicious food on a daily basis.
me too. I used to buy about five pounds every two weeks. Now i buy a 2lb bag every two months.

I no longer bake.

Also do not drink regular sugared soft drinks either.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:52 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,952,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Kale and salads. All 'healthy' food that doesn't taste good.
Potato salad with mayo and bacon is healthy?

Old 11-09-2019, 09:37 PM

1,016 posts, read 311,999 times
Zucchini.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement