Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 10:11 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,930,697 times

Advertisements

Why the increases after age 65 when everyone has Medicare?

Why are so many people over 55 going bankrupt?

Quote:
According to a paper by Robert Lawless, a law professor at the University of Illinois, and three colleagues:

The percentage of Americans declaring bankruptcy age 55 to 64 has risen 66% from 1991 to 2016
The percentage declaring bankruptcy age 65 to 74 increased 204% from 1991 to 2016
Roughly 12% of bankruptcy filers are now 65 and older, up from about 2% in 1991
From the time I was married I never went one second without health insurance for the entire family and I will admit that at times paying the premium took a good bite of my wallet.

But with Medicare, and assuming some supplements, how does someone over 65 go bankrupt over medical bills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 10:27 AM

43,073 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Says it right in the article....medical bills.

What was $400 in 1970 is now $3400 in 2017.
https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/...l-decades_2017

Old 11-04-2019, 10:42 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,266,210 times
I se a lot of retirement-related posts in my FB feed and the comments are always an education. Many fall into the trap of "saving money" by not signing up for Medicare B or a supplement or a Drug plan. The supplement (needed if you don't have Medicare Advantage) pays the 20% of non-hospital costs that Medicare B doesn't pay. And, if you're gambling on not buying a prescription plan, not only can you get hit badly if you suddenly need an expensive prescription but you will pay a surcharge on premiums the rest of your life when you do sign up. Same with Medicare B. This is to keep people from gaming the system by waiting to purchase coverage til they need it- same reason you can't buy windstorm coverage when the hurricane warnings have been posted. (An exception is if you had "creditable coverage" through an employer between age 65 and when you filed for Medicare.)

And then there are dental, eye care and hearing aid expenses. You get some coverage form some Medicare Advantage programs but not regular Medicare.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:33 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,933,464 times
The age groups in that study include only the Baby Boomers. Being a mid-cycle Baby Boomer myself, I feel our parents had a unique advantage for their retirement years - the proverbial three legged stool of Pension, Social Security, and Personal Savings. I also feel that too many of us Baby Boomers did not realize the financial security our parents had, falsely 'assumed' we would have the same security in our retirement years with no effort, and never did any active planning to ensure we would have financial security.

My parents passed in '94 and '98 without ever owning a Cell Phone, never having Internet, never having Cable TV. Those three items alone can add $300 per month to the typical retiree's current budget. $300/month that our parents never had to include in their retirement budgets. Add in poor planning for future Health Care Expenses and the puzzle is solved.

Old 11-04-2019, 01:14 PM

43,073 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
The age groups in that study include only the Baby Boomers. Being a mid-cycle Baby Boomer myself, I feel our parents had a unique advantage for their retirement years - the proverbial three legged stool of Pension, Social Security, and Personal Savings. I also feel that too many of us Baby Boomers did not realize the financial security our parents had, falsely 'assumed' we would have the same security in our retirement years with no effort, and never did any active planning to ensure we would have financial security.

My parents passed in '94 and '98 without ever owning a Cell Phone, never having Internet, never having Cable TV. Those three items alone can add $300 per month to the typical retiree's current budget. $300/month that our parents never had to include in their retirement budgets. Add in poor planning for future Health Care Expenses and the puzzle is solved.
That's a myth. At the height of covered pensions only 46% of the workers were covered in the private sector.

https://retirementlc.com/golden-age-...er-fairy-tale/
According to the Employee Benefits Research Institute, the high-water mark of defined benefit plan coverage in the private sector probably occurred in 1980 when nearly 35 million workers were covered by defined benefit pension plans. This represented 46 percent of the private sector workforce.

Last edited by TMSRetired; 11-04-2019 at 01:45 PM..

Old 11-04-2019, 01:35 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,563 times
Just did a little research and it seems the same thing is happening here. The figure I saw was for people over sixty, and they constitute 14% of bankrupts, double the percentage of twenty years ago.

But the reasons are somewhat different, keeping in mind that we have universal basic medical coverage . It seems it is overwhelmingly blamed on credit card debt, as well as a lack of home ownership and an underlying lack of financial assets. i imagine the credit cards are being used for a whole range of things but I know when we recently had an emergency plumbing bill of over $5,000 I did wonder how some people would manage that.

Old 11-04-2019, 02:03 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,933,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That's a myth. At the height of covered pensions only 46% of the workers were covered in the private sector.

Add in Public Sector employees and what is the resultant Total Percentage Covered by Pensions? Curiosity only.

Old 11-04-2019, 02:18 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,592,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Why the increases after age 65 when everyone has Medicare?

Why are so many people over 55 going bankrupt?

From the time I was married I never went one second without health insurance for the entire family and I will admit that at times paying the premium took a good bite of my wallet.

But with Medicare, and assuming some supplements, how does someone over 65 go bankrupt over medical bills?
Medicare covers many strictly medical bills. But . . .

It does't cover so well newer, non-generic drugs which can run as high as thousand(s) per month. Nor does it pay for in-home aftercare or any sort of nursing home or assisted living, which many older people need after they have some medical emergency.

Old 11-04-2019, 02:26 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,499,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Says it right in the article....medical bills.

What was $400 in 1970 is now $3400 in 2017.
https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/...l-decades_2017
It's not QUITE as bad as it sounds. According to the CPI calculator, $400 in 1970 = $2700 in 2019. So, still an increase, but not by all that much.

Old 11-04-2019, 02:29 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,193,756 times
Until the day when there are no parasites between the patient and the physician, medical costs will be higher than need be.
The patient pays for the malpractice premiums, insurance premiums, hordes of data entry clerks, administrative overhead, bloat, waste, taxes, inflation, and whatever other items get tucked under the covers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement