Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 09:29 AM

7,074 posts, read 6,357,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Gulfport, FL
I am admittedly biased as we've owned a home there since 2014. We fly a lot (have 2nd home in Mexico), and can get to Tampa Airport in 30 minutes.

Historic brick lined streets, very walkable. 12+ non-chain restaurants along Beach Blvd.

About Gulfport Florida | Gulfport Florida

https://www.eckerd.edu/olli/
I couldn't find Gulfport on the map but it sounds delightful. Do you know if there are there any camping spots close by? If so, I think I'll plan to visit. Artsy and quirky sound right up my alley.

Actually, I looked at freecamping.net and there looks like there is so I will plan on visiting.

Last edited by meo92953; 10-15-2019 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 09:44 AM

2,507 posts, read 1,892,411 times
Asheville NC, I think, has the OLLI program.

Asheville might be a bit cold for you, but any snow that falls doesn't last that long. Hendersonville NC is near Asheville and the prices are lower.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:56 AM

17,738 posts, read 29,991,958 times
I would start with The Bernard Osher Foundation | List of Institutes
and remove towns/cities that don't meet your other criteria.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:07 AM

87 posts, read 123,125 times
You may want to consider Austin, TX. Austin is a vibrant, liberal leaning city, with pleasant weather, cultural activities and a major university.

https://olli.utexas.edu

Old 10-15-2019, 10:27 AM

399 posts, read 703,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The Raleigh Triangle is a winner and fits your target
That’s Research Triangle not Raleigh Triangle.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:15 AM

11,180 posts, read 16,083,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yeah, you've just described Chapel Hill and Raleigh. If suggest you look at Durham while you're in the area.
A long time ago, my wife and I lived off of Old Durham-Chapel Hill Rd., between Durham and Chapel Hill. Back then there really was no comparison between the two cities, other than being home to top notch universities. Chapel Hill was much, much nicer than Durham.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:52 AM

178 posts, read 125,011 times
Thanks for all your advice!

Gulfport looks very charming - but I want to avoid the Florida coasts during the tourist season. Too many people like me on the roads!

Austin used to be on my list. Then I went on a Road Scholar trip and met a couple who had just moved away from Austin. They complained about the traffic and frustration of living in conservative Texas, even if Austin itself is a blue island. I think Austin may be just a little bigger & busier than I'd like.

Thanks for mentioning Blacksburg - that definitely is worth a visit, especially as my daughter lives in Va.

I have not been to Charlotte, but was turned off by its very low rank on the walkability scores I've seen.

I've been to Research Triangle and fell in love with Chapel Hill. However, I'd love it if I could get within walking distance of Franklin St, which seems like pie in the sky. Raleigh may be a little more doable. But so far that area is on the top of my list, with plenty to do to keep this Type A happy.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:16 PM

120 posts, read 230,236 times
I absolutely love Raleigh and some of their neighborhoods... 5 points, Oakwood, Mordecai, and even North Hills to a certain extent. There are actually a ton of neighborhoods that you can walk to the local grocery and neighborhoodish bar if you search in Raleigh.

As previous posters mentioned, I would definitely look into Durham too. Its a really cool city that is probably going to become among the best cities in NC in the next few years. Its just growing at a really cool speed and seems much more open and liberal than Raleigh.

Downtown Wilmington, NC may also be worth checking out, you can live downtown and walk around- really beautiful city.

I agree with you, Charlotte doesn't seem walk-able and the traffic...

Richmond, VA may also be an option. The city's moving into a great direction. You can live in Fan District or surrounding districts and practically bike/ walk to do most of anything you want to do.

Best of luck!

Old 10-15-2019, 01:55 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,465,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkw View Post
I’m looking for locations to scout out for snowbirding. My wishlist is as follows:

- small or medium sized city with an airport
- active OLLI program (therefore a college town)
- good health care
- an area where a liberal would not feel like a rarity
- pedestrian friendly - sidewalks
- public transportation options
- temps primarily above freezing in winter
- activities - Meetup groups, other options for meeting folks with similar interests

Living in a historic, walkable downtown would be my dream setting. A couple on my list to check out are:

Chapel Hill or Raleigh, NC
Greenville SC
Ashland, OR
Gainesville, FL

I’d love suggestions for other options to consider, or comments about cities on the above list from folks who know them well.

Thanks in advance.
I'm in love with the southeast. Been here all my life. Raleigh, Greenville, Atlanta...

Have you also considered:

- Wake Forest, NC (go Deacons!)
- Spartanburg, SC (go Spartans!)
- Clemson, SC (go Tigers!)
- Athens, GA (go Dawgs!)
- Kennesaw, GA (go Owls!)
- Marietta, GA (southern poly merged with KSU... go Owls... again!)

Old 10-15-2019, 02:35 PM

3,268 posts, read 5,030,904 times
I lived in Tallahassee for 16 years, and I would recommend it to you, except that it is not walkable, and it doesn't have good public transportation. I don't know enough about Gainesville to recommend it or not.

From my experience in Tallahassee, I strongly urge you, if you do end up settling in a university town, to live in an area away from the actual university. You don't want lots of drunken undergraduates roaming around your neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement